Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM

Default Thank god my chickens are dead

Finally brought by chickens in for processing. Planned on butchering them myself but for a variety of logistic and health reasons, I brought them to a friend. 24 Millers western rustic meat birds. It has been an interesting experiment and I should have a hundred pounds of expensive but homegrown chicken tomorrow. I may not have the temperament to raise these stupid bags of meat. After being chained to my half assed chicken operation I can see where the chicken catchers in the news recently could become callus enough to treat animals that way. I nearly killed some at various times for being frustratingly uncooperative. Anyone ever raise meat birds and want to kill them out of anger or spite?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 PM

I'm glad it all worked out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Banned

Sounds fun! Pics?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Finally brought by chickens in for processing. Planned on butchering them myself but for a variety of logistic and health reasons, I brought them to a friend. 24 Millers western rustic meat birds. It has been an interesting experiment and I should have a hundred pounds of expensive but homegrown chicken tomorrow. I may not have the temperament to raise these stupid bags of meat. After being chained to my half assed chicken operation I can see where the chicken catchers in the news recently could become callus enough to treat animals that way. I nearly killed some at various times for being frustratingly uncooperative. Anyone ever raise meat birds and want to kill them out of anger or spite?
I raised Buff Orpingtons, my last were killed last week. I found them very easy to deal with, but I sold most of them off last year and only kept a half dozen this year. What did you find frustrating about them?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:55 PM

If chickens have you frothing at the mouth and in a murderous mood, for gods sakes don't have any kids. D.H.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 PM

Hahahahahahaha!!! Your description of the whole ordeal reminds me of several experiences when my folks had pigs. Spot on description and thanks for the laugh. Interestingly enough I'm just into the tail end of building a coop and run so the kids can have some laying hens. I've never had chickens but they cannot be any harder on the head than hogs.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

After the chicken experience you should up the ante and give turkeys a try.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Getting them to use the ramp to go into the henhouse. They mostly couldn't figure out how to fly or go to the foot of the ramp. They just looked longingly at the pop door and paced and clucked.

Catching escapees or stragglers when free ranging was nearly their undoing. I will only chase for so long it seems before I turn to murder as the solution...

My coop was unfinished due to health and were intended to be unattended most nights so they needed to get inside before the automatic door closed them out. My run was just 3' of chicken wire so not predator resistant at all.

Lessons learned, carolina coop is good for hens or mature birds but young chickens need too much training to use the ramp consistently. By 8 weeks they had it figured out and were inside by "dark". The slowness of the setting sun in the north confuses them as to when to roost. They would go inside at like 9 then come back out at 10 just in time for the door to close. They also only started using the roosting bars recently too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chickens.jpg (91.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg chickens2.jpg (148.1 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by Jays toyz; 06-28-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned

I hear goats are fun to raise?

Or try Brahma chickens. Might have to wrestle them down but...
Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I nearly killed some at various times for being frustratingly uncooperative. Anyone ever raise meat birds and want to kill them out of anger or spite?
I have to think about this for a bit with that said.
I have not raised any birds for meat EVER so i don't know what it takes .
Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Banned

They'll sure taste good though.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
If chickens have you frothing at the mouth and in a murderous mood, for gods sakes don't have any kids. D.H.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I've been frustrated by animals before, but kids? They will do stuff that will have you gripping your hands tightly behind your back, walking away muttering, and waiting for the day they have their own place and kids. So you can get even.

For instance, every time I visit my daughter in Edmonton now, I make a point of opening all her cupboard doors and drawers, half way. Repeatedly. Because I know it drives her insane.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-28-2017, 07:29 PM

Dog saved us a lot of hassle. someone left the coop door open overnight and there was a mass slaughter, all 7 of them. Neighbor pointed out afterwards, it's cheaper to buy chickens than raise them.

Grizz
Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 PM

Wish Ninga was here.... He'd know who to kill or what to do....
Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 PM

We used to have 150 laying hens year round and also raised 150 chicks every spring that we butchered. Some years we would get a few turkeys too. We had flocks of bantams free ranging on the yard too. The only bad part was shoveling out the coops. We fed the poultry ground chop and had the benefit of going to the local creamery for barrels of free buttermilk that got mixed in the chop. Can't beat buttermilk fed poultry. All the livestock loved the chop.

Butchering was mentioned...Not bragging , just saying, my mother and I could butcher 100 chickens by noon. Have them washed and freezer ready by supper.
We had it down to an art. I started helping butcher chickens when I was about 6.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 06-28-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
I can only assume by your comment you have raised both.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Dog saved us a lot of hassle. someone left the coop door open overnight and there was a mass slaughter, all 7 of them. Neighbor pointed out afterwards, it's cheaper to buy chickens than raise them.

Grizz
Ahhhh. A terrible accident. A solution everyone but the chickens can live with.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:03 PM

Jays Toyz... if you grow buzzards again I suggest you just free range them once they know the ramp and roost. They will get more exercise and eat more greens and bugs. Stuff that builds flavour in a chicken. The pen you made looks a little restrictive.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-28-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Jays Toyz... if you grow buzzards again I suggest you just free range them once they know the ramp and roost. They will get more exercise and eat more greens and bugs. Stuff that builds flavour in a chicken. The pen you made looks a little restrictive.
They spent more than half their time free ranging. If i had it to do again, I would get an electric fence to keep them away from my camper and deck. Filthy thing just **** and crow. The run was intended to be 16 feet not eight. As well as fully enclosed and roofed...

Last edited by Jays toyz; 06-28-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:19 PM

I have 26 Black Australorps (duel purpose) right now. Going into their third week now.

Saving a Rooster & four hens. They'll hatch & raise next years meat birds.
Wife gets to sell eggs we do not need.

The rest go into the freezer.

However, I've raised meat birds before, going back into the 70s : no big deal ....or stress.

Aviaries they are in covers over 600 sq. ft.

Same for the Partridge Cochin Bantams.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:23 PM

Don't try raising sheep.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:34 PM

Default Farm kids

If you ever have the need to empty a room full of farm kids, just say; Chickens!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:01 AM

Never occurred to me, but chickens are the most common bird on the planet, number wise.

Grizz
Old 06-29-2017, 07:10 AM

But I hope they taste better than the bland rubbery chicken we buy from the stores.
My friends dad you to smoke a big fat cigar when he went to clean the chicken coupe.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:16 AM

Remember...you are whatyou eat...
Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Banned

You should try and move my stupid yearling Black Angus heifers.....things clear 5 ft Barb wire like deer.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 AM

My boys want chickens in the worst way.

I told them - "No pets!" Especially after Operation Failed Aquarium. If they won't even clean a fish tank, they would never clean up after a couple of chickens.

Plus, I used to do chicken catching as a night job. Enough said!

Enjoy the good eats, Jayz_toyz!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:25 AM

Chickens drove you over the edge?
Geese will drive you there, hold the door open, and kick you in the arse on your way down!!

In the fall, our whole extended family would gather to butcher my uncles chickens. Everyone had a job, even us youngsters. As we grew we moved up the processing chain, from gatherer, to boiler, to plucker to gutter. I don't remember how many we did, but 20 of us took all day, from yard to freezer.

Last edited by nast70; 06-29-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Default Hens

I picked up ten layer hens this spring after not having any for a decade or so. I find them easy to look after and quite relaxing. Bed them on straw and it takes half an hour a week to clean out the hen house and its free compost for the
garden. They go in at dark and out at daylight. The ones I got this time are Novogen Browns, a very calm, quiet and easy going bird.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM

I prefer my chickens dead also, less feathers to chew and they don't fly off the bbq.