Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Default For Christmas 2010 and the Holidays, The Fire Fighter's Prayer

As a 29 year Fire Fighter and more recently First Responder, I would like to wish everyone in here, and their families a safe and happy holiday. Especially safe, as we are ready to help, we would of course all much rather not be needed.

I have purposely stayed away from the forum, the biggest reason being I have absolutely no wish to fight with the idiots that take huge pleasure in doing just that.

I hope that everyone feels the same as I do in respect to the Emergency Services Personnel, and ask only one thing, PLEASE respond if you feel so inclined, but if you only want to fight or be an ass respond to me in person through PM and not in this thread.

I tear up every time I read this prayer, I have felt the life slip away from someone more than once while on, and off duty. Some things are with you for life.

Some of you may have heard of the Fire Fighters Prayer, others not.

THE FIRE FIGHTERS PRAYER

When I’m called to duty God wherever flames may rage, give me strength to save a life whatever be it’s age

Help me to embrace a little child before it is too late or save an older person from the horror of that fate

Enable me to be alert to hear the weakest shout and quickly and efficiently to put the fire out

I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me, to guard my neighbour and protect his property

And if according to your will I have to lose my life, bless with your protecting hand my children and my wife.

AMEN

I would like to wish you all the best for the remainder of 2010, and all of 2011.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Default A wife's prayer

Fireman's Wife's Prayer

The table's set, the meal's prepared, our guests will soon arrive.

My husband once more disappears with a hope of keeping a child alive.

While waiting at home alone, our plans having gone awry,

My first impulse is merely to sit right down and cry.

But soon again I realize the importance of my life,

When I agreed to take on the duties of being a fireman's wife.

While there are many drawbacks, I'll take them in my stride ,

Knowing "My daddy saved a life" our children can say with pride.

The gusting winds and raging flames may be his final fate.

But with God's help I can remain my fireman's faithful mate.

- Author Unknown -
Old 12-19-2010, 06:55 PM

Default Sons prayer for his father the fireman

I think this is a prayer any young man/woman can say of their father on this board.

"A Fireman's Son"

MY DAD'S A FIREMAN, and proud am I, indeed,
For he is someone special, whose wisdom I still need.
Dad and I are buddies and, to me, that means a lot,
A bond to last forever, with love that forms the knot.
He took me to parades, when other kids stayed home,
And he taught me how to play baseball, on a field without a dome.
He showed me how to fix things, even let me use his tools,
What I learned from Dad, they don't teach in schools.
The examples that he set, I follow everyday.
Placing God and Country first, in showing me the way.
Precious are those years, now tucked away with time,
Tenderly remembered: I, as the leaf. He, as the vine.
Dad, hear me as I say "I love you", man-to-man,
And, I'm proud to tell the world, MY DAD'S A FIREMAN.

-Author Unknown
Old 12-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Thanks for sharing that with us Ken, you're a good man, and as a whole, we could use more folks like you. Not just on the forum, but in society in general.

To all the Emergency Services Personnel, I say thank you for the great work you do.

Ken, best wishes to you and your family this holiday season, and if you're ever passing through town, give me a shout!

Oh, and don't let the haters get you down

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM

My fav, Be at peace Grandpa Mort

A HUNTER’S PRAYER

Life is a circle. At first, we do not exist in this world. Then we are born, grow, and thus live. Then after a while, when we must relinquish our existence in this world, the circle is complete. Some circles are very small, others much larger. We do not much control where the circle starts or ends. But within this circle, we are players whose performance is a balance of conscious and unconscious choices; influences from that which is imprinted within our species and that which is imposed from without..

As such, I have not chosen to be predator any more than you have chosen to be prey. The circle of life demands that there be both. I accept that as predator, I have the awesome responsibility of being swift and sure, for carelessness may cause you suffering, and that I cannot bear. Yet, because I am sometimes less than I can be, I will cause suffering. May I be thus judged by the sincerity of my intentions, and the purity of my heart, and when it is deserved, may I be forgiven.

I celebrate the way you lived, I wish I could live my life as well. Your courage and love of life was not a minor thing. Therefore, it is now with both sorrow and reverence that I now thank you for giving your life, and I honor your life by pledging that through death will come sustenance for renewed life.

Now that your spirit has been set free, it can go where it will. However, if you think I am worthy, perhaps you will honour me by allowing your spirit come into my heart where it can live within me and be my counsel. And when life comes full circle for me, may both of our spirits be set free in a better place—
Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 PM

Thank you for those nice prayers and thoughts.. Hats off to all EMS members... Paid or volunteer.. We all appreciate what you do!!

Merry Christmas to all!!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 PM

My uncle was a platoon chief for the City of Red Deer for a number of years. He retired after 35+ years of service.

My younger brother has completed his EMR training and his Fire Fighter L1 and L2 in Vermillion this past summer, and is now working on as a professional fire fighter in the oil patch.

About 2 weeks ago, he dealt with a piece of machinery that could have killed a number of people on the well site. He just did his job despite a manifold next to him shaking violently right next to him from over-pressure.

Proud of him, and all the other emergency services personell that do thier job to keep the rest of us alive.

This is big brother envying the job that the little brother has..... for the first time.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:13 PM

Thumbs up

'Fire Fighter' ... one of the most Honorable professions.

TF
Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 AM

Just want to say thanks for thinking of us emergency personel from the EMS side of things. We were recently reminded of how an everyday transfer can suddenly turn many peoples life upside down in a blink of an eye. Again condolences go out to all who knew the EMS practitioner from Mclenan.
I was lucky enough to get my whole tour over Christmas off, so Marry Christmas to all and a big Thank You to the emergency personel who are sitting at a station or carrying a radio on there hip during the holidays.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 AM

You bet i woudl also like to thank all of you guys that are ems, firefighters, first aid attendants .

I just had a terrible accident on my rig three weeks ago when i was on days off and my medic on the rig without a doubt saved the kids life, she took total control of the situation when everyone was beyond making sense.

For this Bev you are truely a master of your job, and we all out here will forever be in debt to you for saving his life, he is doing ok in the U of A now becasue of you... Thank you very much, i can truely tell you i have 100% respect for the job all you people do.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:43 AM

We just lost a veteran Firefighter and EMT yesterday from cancer.

Prayers be with him.