Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 10:24 PM

I like the looks of the Pitts and Spitts
Old 07-06-2020, 07:56 AM

It comes down to personal preference, I don’t think these companies will be in business if they’re making garbage. Go on face book and join the groups and you’ll notice that most people post their complaints on it. You’ll also see the finished products from their smokers. I belong to the Green mountain group and find so much on there.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Hey guys,

Looking for opinions and help on Pellet grills. Thinking of purchasing one in the future but don’t know where to start. Some of the new Traegers look pretty cool but I remember seeing some old posts that the quality isn’t as good as some other brands. Is there a wholesaler around the Calgary area that is knowledgeable? What is everyone’s opinions and experiences? What other brands are better? Wifi function worth it?

I’d be looking to cook/smoke pretty much everything. Steak, Brisket, chicken, fish, veggies etc. I like the idea of one that can sear as far as I understand the traegers don’t have this function?

Thanks for any responses!
We've had a Traeger for just under a year now, and what a disappointment. Complete waste of time, effort, and money. Been on the phone 3 times with Traeger's technical support, and we just can't get the grill hot. Food is undercooked, raw, and frankly lukewarm most of the time. The unit can not get up to its' max temperature of 450 F, except once when it was plus 25c outside and had it in full sun. I call it "the little train that couldn't".

It smokes food really well, but that's it. If you get one, be prepared to buy a second grill for actually cooking.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post
We've had a Traeger for just under a year now, and what a disappointment. Complete waste of time, effort, and money. Been on the phone 3 times with Traeger's technical support, and we just can't get the grill hot. Food is undercooked, raw, and frankly lukewarm most of the time. The unit can not get up to its' max temperature of 450 F, except once when it was plus 25c outside and had it in full sun. I call it "the little train that couldn't".

It smokes food really well, but that's it. If you get one, be prepared to buy a second grill for actually cooking.
Better get it sorted out before your warranty expires. It can’t be that hard to figure out. Does the fan and auger turn? Then there is only the controller left to control temp. Traeger has always been great to deal with and they will send you the parts if you are under a year.

What temp does it get to? What model?

Raw food is from removing the meat before it’s finished cooking. I rarely take my Traeger above 350 except to crisp poultry skin, or finishing a reverse sear. Never a problem. Get your controller fixed and get it working.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:28 PM

How is the smoke flavour on a pellet grill. I’ve been given the green by the mistress of finance to make a purchase. I currently have a Weber Smokey Mountain that I pump out some tasty BBQ on. But the connivence of setting and forgetting are intriguing. I used a buddies pellet popper a couple weeks ago and the brisket didn’t seem to have a ton of smoke flavour like I’m used to.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
How is the smoke flavour on a pellet grill. I’ve been given the green by the mistress of finance to make a purchase. I currently have a Weber Smokey Mountain that I pump out some tasty BBQ on. But the connivence of setting and forgetting are intriguing. I used a buddies pellet popper a couple weeks ago and the brisket didn’t seem to have a ton of smoke flavour like I’m used to.
I’ve hit 1/2” smoke rings on briskets with my Traeger. Smoke flavour is no problem on any brand of pellet grill.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:54 PM

We are all doomed. Was at Cambodian Tire this morning and see that they have an entry level Master Chef Pellet Grill

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0853185p.html
Old 07-06-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
You are not wrong
Old 07-06-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I’ve hit 1/2” smoke rings on briskets with my Traeger. Smoke flavour is no problem on any brand of pellet grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
We are all doomed. Was at Cambodian Tire this morning and see that they have an entry level Master Chef Pellet Grill

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0853185p.html
I guess I should say you won’t have a problem with smoke flavour with a reputable pellet grill and proper pellet choice. A power fist pellet grill with spruce pellets probably doesn’t cut it.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I guess I should say you won’t have a problem with smoke flavour with a reputable pellet grill and proper pellet choice. A power fist pellet grill with spruce pellets probably doesn’t cut it.
Did a 14 hour smoke at 225F on my Pit Boss on the weekend on a Picnic for Pulled Pork-Minimal smoke flavor and essentially no ring
Old 07-06-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I’ve already decided if we pull the trigger it will be a GMG. It’s in our price range (~$1300) and gets decent reviews. My concern is dropping that amount of money while I have a WSM that pumps out delicious Q already. I call pellet grills the Easy Bake Ovens of the BBQ world but it would nice to push a button, throw meat on and wait till it’s done. I just want, what I consider, good Q to come off of it.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Did a 14 hour smoke at 225F on my Pit Boss on the weekend on a Picnic for Pulled Pork-Minimal smoke flavor and essentially no ring
To get good penetration of smoke you have to remember that smoke is water soluble. So spritzing Apple juice keeps water on the surface aiding with smoke penetration, and the sugars burn to support bark growth. If you use rubs or marinades containing fats or oils they are basically a condom for the smoke. It’ll never penetrate. Also to promote good smoke penetration removing outer layers off fat is a must. Leave the inner fats to break down but clean the outer layer to clean meats. Also, injecting imparts a higher moisture content to aid that penetration.

Also, never bring meat to room temp when smoking. Meat will only absorb smoke to about 160f. Each meat and animal is different. But for arguement sake let’s say the magic number is 160. After it hits that magic number it will not absorb anymore smoke even if you smoke it another month. So if you remove from the fridge and immediately start smoking you have about 35f to 160f to impart smoke. If you bring it to room temp you only have from say 70f to 160f.

Also, 225 is too hot for smoking. You take it to that mark of 160f too quickly and the hotter you run your pellet grill the more efficiently it burns so the less smoke it produces. Smoke down around 180ish. Then when you hit 160, wrap and finish at 225-250.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 07-06-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I’ve already decided if we pull the trigger it will be a GMG. It’s in our price range (~$1300) and gets decent reviews. My concern is dropping that amount of money while I have a WSM that pumps out delicious Q already. I call pellet grills the Easy Bake Ovens of the BBQ world but it would nice to push a button, throw meat on and wait till it’s done. I just want, what I consider, good Q to come off of it.
Been down many smoker routes and the best thing about the pellet grill is consistency. You will be a believer in no time and the quality of your meat will not suffer; I would wager it even improves.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:31 PM

Get rid of the trash traeger pellets and get something decent like lumberjack. I went from Louisiana pellets to lumberjack and there is no comparison. Lumberjack are more of the same size so they meter better and burn more even resulting in a more consistent temp. Smoke is great with them too.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:36 PM

Anyone buy the new GMG prime plus models? I was planning on pulling the trigger on one this spring but see the newer models are having some issues.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:27 AM

Either makes is gona do what you want it to do, I just got a traeger and it does have a searing station, and did an amazing job holding temp on a brisket I just made, the guys in here gave me a lot of good advice, and I couldn’t have done it without them, just know that whatever make and model you end up with, it will do what you want it to do, and enjoy, I get great pleasure from my smokers!
Old 01-18-2021, 10:53 AM

I am willing to bet that the guys that are complaining about little to no smoke flavor on their food has nothing to do with the pellet smoker and everything to do with the pellets they are using. Think about it, the smoke is coming from the pellet, not the smoker... The smoker is just providing a heat source to burn the pellet.
I have done a considerable amount of testing and research on pellets and that is why I chose the CookinPellets brand. They are the #1 rated pellet on Amazon for a reason.
And I know where you can get them, send me a PM and I can help you out.
Cheers
Old 01-18-2021, 05:52 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
I am willing to bet that the guys that are complaining about little to no smoke flavor on their food has nothing to do with the pellet smoker and everything to do with the pellets they are using. Think about it, the smoke is coming from the pellet, not the smoker... The smoker is just providing a heat source to burn the pellet.
I have done a considerable amount of testing and research on pellets and that is why I chose the CookinPellets brand. They are the #1 rated pellet on Amazon for a reason.
And I know where you can get them, send me a PM and I can help you out.
Cheers
Pellets absolutely make a huge difference. After trying all sorts I started using the Lumberjack brand pellets a while back and have never looked back. Can't say as I have tried them all of course but these really do a good job for me.

https://lumberjackpellets.ca/product...y/bbq-pellets/
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23