Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Default Lesser Slave Lake

July keeps drawing closer and I'm getting a terrible itch to get back up to Lesser Slave Lake. If you have been there recently please advise how the fishing was. You don't have to give away your secret holes.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 PM

ive seen little kids haul in 20+ inch walleyes up there right in a marina

no secret hole required
Old 06-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Default fishy

Was up in Faust on Slave lake and killed them... None stop in 5-8 feet of water... Lots of fish in the 44-53 cm..
Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Default Slave lake report

I just returned from Slave L and the action is hot hot hot. Everyone is catching walleye, fished by Faust and a bit east of there. Watch out for the winds, it gets pretty crazzzzy real fast!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Banned

I usualy stay clear of the lake but I've been absolutely slaying them in the river. probably average 4-6 fish an hour all year so far. Maby the cold snaps this spring affected the baitfish spawn or somthing cause they are HUNGRY!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 PM

The usual northwest spots (Cutbank Point, Shaw's Point marina etc.) have been fishing well as of late. Also notable is the fact that the closure area is now open as of June 16th. You can now fish west of Shaw's Point, meaning the bridge on Hwy 750 at Grouard is a busy place and well worth wetting a line! Get there soon as the warmer weather will see the fish moving east to deeper waters.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:38 PM

Smile

That's interesting to hear that the river is as hot as it is. I have always seen people fishing above and below the wier but it appeared a little slow. It's good to hear the rest of the lake is producing as well as it is as it speaks well for the Walleye fishery in the lake. Three weeks to go and I'll be catching too!!! Thanks wbaj for the heads up on the winds but I have fished that lake enough to know when to make a run for shore. The info may be very useful to someone who hasn't fished there before or has been lucky enough never to have been caught in a windstorm. Fishing has been pretty hot around Crawling Valley as well as other southern reservoirs so it looks like it's going to be a gold banner year for all waters.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

I dont fish the weir, standing elbow to elbow with jerks who like to let their fish flop on the bank while they call the family over to have a look and maby let the dog play with it befor they put it back gives me the hives. I dont go fishing to argue with ignorant morons all evening. All the good fishing is further downriver. I bottom bounce down the river and troll plugs back up the river, once you find some good stretches the fishing is at least as good as the lake and I think I catch more big ones than many of the guys I talk to who fish the lake. Have not had a day where I could not have kept my limit of 3 fish over 50 cm with the odd one pushing 60. That being said I do not usualy go fishing unless the conditions are to my liking, usualy overcast or with some scary weather moving in, days most people stay off the lake, not sure what the fishing would be like if you could not pick your days. But some evenings I catch far into the double digits in the span of 2 hours.

Last edited by Cal; 06-28-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Cal - Couldn't agree more about the ignorance and lack of respect some show for the fish they catch. Drives me nuts. I've only fished the west end of LSL but would like to try my luck on your side. Where are you launching from to access the river and how far up it are you fishing? Any hazards to watch out for? Any tips would be much appreciated!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned

I most often fish the stretch from below the weir to the sawridge creek due to its close proximity to my house and the great fishing it offers, I'm making an effort to start exploring some other stretches more thoroughly this summer. Where the Otawa. Salteux and Moose rivers hit the slave is good as well as where the Slave joins the Athabasca. Theres a launch by the downstream end of the weir but since I use a canoe I dont use it. The slave river is pretty hazard free but further downstream towards smith there are some shallow bars. Pretty much just stay off the inside corners untill you know where they drop off. If your fishing from shore the campground on the river (sak' at wank or whatever) is nice and has good fishing. Though some weekends those ignorant morons from the weir migrate there.

Last edited by Cal; 07-02-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Cal ... My brother & I were thinking of using that boat launch by the wier and float down the river a few miles. Have you ever floated that stretch and if so are there any pointers you can give. I hate the thought of having to row back against a current.