Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-27-2015, 11:19 AM

Try to learn as much as possible by reading the actual legislation, rather than relying on asking people that may not know the regulations, and that might lead you astray. Try and learn the regulations before heading out into the field, rather then having to try and look up legislation in a hurry, and risk misunderstanding the regulation as a result.

Unfortunately there are many people that are anxious to tell others their interpretations of the regulations, when they really don't have a clue themselves.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Default I have to agree.

Well it appears we are witnessing a complete generation reversal of "knowledge" ( in their own eyes anyways). My quote for the day

" The young hunters were wild and crazy and the old were wise but now the young are wise and the old are wild and crazy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well step one I'd carefully read the regulations and also the Alberta Wildlife Act. Secondly, it would be great if you could hunt with an experienced local hunter. Unfortunately I never had that luxury when I first started.

You could also stay out of some particular situations that might be dicey. For example, stay away from hunting right near WMU borders where you or your intended target might unintentionally stray over a border. You might also want to stay away from game that requires a fair bit of judgement. For example, although I've gotten tags I've never taken a shot at a sheep because I'm not confident of my ability to discern a ewe from a yearling male at a distance based on subtle differences in horn shape.

Hope that helps.