Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Banned

Default Steelhead.

Lets just set one thing straight here right off the hop,, " THERE ARE NO STEELHEAD IN EASTERN CANADA". Like a few on here I'm sure, I watch a few fishing programs and as well I read the odd outdoor magazine and I have to say that I am sick and tired of these so called pro's and self proclaimed fish experts calling eastern Rainbow trout Steelhead.. These eastern fish are not Steelhead they are simply Rainbow's. A Steelhead is an ocean run trout hence it hits the salt water and then returns to the fresh water to spawn and so on back and forth in some cases a few times in its life span. This is what makes this species unique from its cousin the Rainbow. Well the last time I checked the great lakes were not salt water nor were any of the other numerous land locked lakes in Ontario.

Now say what you will and make any exuse you want but it is what it is. Those eastern fish are "NOT" Steelhead and again I am sick and tired of them being called this. Its like calling a Walleye a Pickeral,, sorry make any exuse you want they are two differant fish. Thats just the truth..
Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Talking

Call 'em anything you wish, I would love to fish some of those little creeks that those great lakes rainbows run up in the spring!
Interesting post, though, Pickerals...uhh...I mean, Walleyes.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Lets just set one thing straight here right off the hop,, " THERE ARE NO STEELHEAD IN EASTERN CANADA". Like a few on here I'm sure, I watch a few fishing programs and as well I read the odd outdoor magazine and I have to say that I am sick and tired of these so called pro's and self proclaimed fish experts calling eastern Rainbow trout Steelhead.. These eastern fish are not Steelhead they are simply Rainbow's. A Steelhead is an ocean run trout hence it hits the salt water and then returns to the fresh water to spawn and so on back and forth in some cases a few times in its life span. This is what makes this species unique from its cousin the Rainbow. Well the last time I checked the great lakes were not salt water nor were any of the other numerous land locked lakes in Ontario.

Now say what you will and make any exuse you want but it is what it is. Those eastern fish are "NOT" Steelhead and again I am sick and tired of them being called this. Its like calling a Walleye a Pickeral,, sorry make any exuse you want they are two differant fish. Thats just the truth..

LOL...know what you are saying Walleyes but the stocks in the great lakes are derived from west coast steelhead so genetically they are steelhead, they just don't have access to an ocean.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Metamusil??????

You seem a little tense.

How about horns vs antlers

What the hell is the matter with people? Why can't they get this stuff straight?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 PM

Actually rainbow trout have found their way into and are increasing in population in some maritime province rivers are migrating down the rivers into the atlantic ocean then back up later to spawn. Then theres the Brook Trout that run up the rivers in the spring from the ocean, known locally as sea trout and yes, sea run brown trout too. All those species can be anadromous. Don't forget the sea run cutthroats of the west coast and vancouver island.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...know what you are saying Walleyes but the stocks in the great lakes are derived from west coast steelhead so genetically they are steelhead, they just don't have access to an ocean.
Thank you sheep hunter you beat me to it. Being from Ontario and having caught said fish from the Great Lakes they are infact steelhead. So maybe just take a chill pill man, you seem to be taking it way to personal. I guess the atlantics in lake Ontario are not really atlantics either right, because they have no acccess to salt.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Banned

Boys I'm not tense at all,, just stating a fact.. I knew there would be some eastern boys on here trying to defend the fishery.. Like I said make any excuse you want it is what it is or I guess you could say they are what they are nothing more than Rainbows.. As far as the Rainbows in the Atlantic provinces making their way to the salt,, well now that's different and I stand corrected these would in fact be Steelhead. The great lakes Rainbow being Steelhead nah sorry they are not but its a nice try..
Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 AM

so by your logic the great lakes salmon are not salmon because they don't go in the ocean?

cohod
Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Boys I'm not tense at all,, just stating a fact.. I knew there would be some eastern boys on here trying to defend the fishery.. Like I said make any excuse you want it is what it is or I guess you could say they are what they are nothing more than Rainbows.. As far as the Rainbows in the Atlantic provinces making their way to the salt,, well now that's different and I stand corrected these would in fact be Steelhead. The great lakes Rainbow being Steelhead nah sorry they are not but its a nice try..
Ill save my breath, would be better spent blowing smoke.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C. View Post
Ill save my breath, would be better spent blowing smoke.

O.K.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:26 AM

i grew up fishing for pickeral and steelhead in northwestern ontario and thats just what they are steelhead and pickeral. People sometimes get too caught up over terminalogy, in the end its about catching fish not worrying about what to call it. Words are just words, just like douche bag might mean one thing to you, it'll mean something else to me. And i sir know what a douche bag looks like.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Words are just words, just like douche bag might mean one thing to you, it'll mean something else to me. And i sir know what a douche bag looks like.
Yah,, O.K that makes sense to me a douche bag is what kind of fish ??? O.h wait your from Ontario,, it all makes sense to me now....

P.S.. THERE ARE NO STEELHEAD IN ONTARIO...
Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
And i sir know what a douche bag looks like.
Would this be the right time to say: "It takes one to know one"?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
Would this be the right time to say: "It takes one to know one"?
Thanks,, I really wanted to say it but thought I would hold off.. But you said it just fine..
Old 07-05-2009, 12:19 PM

I always thought walleye and pickeral were the same just refered to different back east? the same as pick and jack
Old 07-05-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I always thought walleye and pickeral were the same just refered to different back east? the same as pick and jack

Common misconception...

A 'Pickeral' is very much like a pike but the markings and nose are a bit different. Look up 'Grass Pickeral' or 'American Pickeral' for a better description of such a fish. I used to catch a lot of them back East when I was a kid....

As a matter of fact, here's a link...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_pickerel'

Cheers,

/FC...