Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 AM

Default Grayling are fun!

Finally found a great place for Garyling. I've never really fished for them before so I was tickled to find out about the Kakawa River south of Grande Prairie. Best part, the river is completely C&R so they'll be these numbers every time I head over there.

One thing I did notice about these little guys, besides the fact they are quite possibly the prettiest fish in fresh water, they are the most picky. For more than an hour I watched them take a particular Mayfly and couldn't seem to "match the hatch". I had some in that size, but the colour must not have been exactly right as they took the real thing that were floating right next to my offering and ignored or turned away from mine. I finally found a tan coloured ferruled may in my collection that was close enough to draw some takers as well as a small Elk Hair Caddis that got some attention. They are rather fun fish once you can get into the 14+ inch size fish. Was a good day.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Default neat fish

they are fun to catch but deffinitly picky. did you fish where the bridge crosses over the river? i usually go to the left usually get some trout too. love that river..
Darrell
Old 07-05-2009, 09:54 AM

I've always had luck with olive colored tom thumbs on the Kakwa and its tributaries. Sometimes my supply dwindles and they seem to hit what ever I throw at them. I'm gonna hit a remote stretch next weekend and give it a try.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Was out after Grayling last night, seemed to be picky until sunset, when they hit just about any flies you cast out. Had a great time as it was my first time after them and your right they are a real nice looking fish.
What would be considered a Large Grayling?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
Was out after Grayling last night, seemed to be picky until sunset, when they hit just about any flies you cast out. Had a great time as it was my first time after them and your right they are a real nice looking fish.
What would be considered a Large Grayling?
I'd have to say 19" would be a big grayling for Alberta.