Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Police like to pick low hanging fruit. A lot easier to arrest some farm kid without a license hauling some grain to the bin.
But it is illegal for 'some farm kid' to drive without a license, even
when hauling a tandem or super bee load of grain. That's the last person i want to meet on the road for a multitude of reasons.

When my 2 young cousins helped their dad 1 ran the pedals the other the steering wheel, because neither could reach both. True story.

Picking and choosing what laws you like or choose to ignore is completely your choice until they affect someone else. Keep the kids in the field until they are able to drive legally.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-23-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I
I think part of the solution is the M.D. needs to stop maintaining the roads during the summer. Rougher roads would cut down on outside road people. Just send a plow every now and then in the winter to punch holes in the drifts. The worse places are next to a paved road.
So bumpy roads will reduce crime? I guess potholes in front of liquor stores might prevent robberies too.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:49 PM

A few years back the argument was Quebec and Ontario have their own provincial police so why don't we. So that's when we got these MD cops and town bylaw officer's. I'm not really sure of their right name but everybody just calls them farm cops.
These guys are just ticket writing machines that sit on main roadways. They are not part of the community and they don't know anybody.
They had a well liked good one in town and the Mayor was annoyed with him because he wasn't writeing enough ticket's. Then they came up with a program to trade him with a neighbouring small town and there guy would come up here and write tickets. Everybody hated him so then they came up with the idea that they would just give tickets to out of Towner's.
Say what you want about the RCMP, they were better than this.
My daughter got her youth PAL when she was 14. Nobody else bothers with this stuff. There was another thread on here a while back about no photo on PALs. This wasn't about Muslims that was about hutterites being able to buy guns and ammo. Do you think every colony member is going to get a PAL?
Old 01-23-2020, 04:52 PM

Fair points but for the life of me just can not remember the last Hutterite attack, well anywhere ever.
There are no radical Hutterian nations, they don't hide their faces and try to make us take up their faith, the hutterite mosques must all be on the farms.

(tongue in cheek, if you didn't catch that)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-23-2020, 04:52 PM

It’s all about risk vs reward right now the consequences for theft are not much of a deterrent. Now cut off a hand like some countries and I bet a portion of thieves will reconsider if it’s worth it.

Not saying tacking a hand is a good answer but the revolving door legal system is not working either
Old 01-23-2020, 05:10 PM

A deep pit and a pallet of lime sitting by the gate might deter them a little. My ex had over 70 charges related to her for breaking into rural homes after we split and she went to find herself. I spoke to a few of her victims and feel dearly for everyone who has to deal with this crime.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:16 PM

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/warrants-...IrPAe9PqKbDwWk
Old 01-23-2020, 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=GMX;4098270]A deep pit and a pallet of lime

Unfortunately you can't purchase "quick lime " anymore. The lime sold today would just preserve the body. However, if you have a contact in the drilling fluid business, caustic would do a much better job.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
I would think the Maurice Family should be concerned at this nutbars new found freedom. More stress for this Family is just unacceptable. Let's see how the next Judge handles his disdain for the Judcial "System".
Old 01-23-2020, 05:24 PM

In my case the RCMP went above and beyond in an effort to catch these ass hats and they got 4 of them so I am happy. Thanks to my local RCMP! You guys made my day!
Old 01-23-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
In my case the RCMP went above and beyond in an effort to catch these ass hats and they got 4 of them so I am happy. Thanks to my local RCMP! You guys made my day!
That's great!! When they go to Court how about a very long Victim Impact Statement!!
Old 01-23-2020, 05:32 PM

No trespassing, violators will be shot and survivors shot again .
Old 01-23-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Well if get shot at did not deter him I am guessing not much will up to and including a slap on the wrist and being told not to do it again.When he gets caught again now he has an even better reason for his life of crime he has PTSD from it (Not saying I discount PTSD just means I don't think that gives you the right to lead a life of crime)
Old 01-23-2020, 05:51 PM
Banned

It’s only a matter of time before the game changes for some of these criminals. I know a guy who booby traps his house because he’s been hit so many times. They won’t be walking away this time. I know I’d hate to die like that anyways. Folks are getting mid evil out there. I think it should catch on.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:14 PM

I was talking to my sister (a bleeding heart liberal and card carrying member of the green party) about the petty crime around the Safe drug use site. I said that this revolving door has to stop. Maybe making some of these guys do actual full restitution and pay damages on top would do more to curb the problem than the little slaps on the wrist they get now.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I was talking to my sister (a bleeding heart liberal and card carrying member of the green party) about the petty crime around the Safe drug use site. I said that this revolving door has to stop. Maybe making some of these guys do actual full restitution and pay damages on top would do more to curb the problem than the little slaps on the wrist they get now.
In some cases they do make them pay restitution or at least they try. My ex did some evil **** to people’s places like taking a sledgehammer to all the cupboards and walls plugging sinks leaving the water running opening freezers ect. She was ordered to pay over $100,000. But you can’t get money from someone who doesn’t work.

I’m thinking longer terms in jail and hard labour while in there. Maybe take a page from another country and cut off a hand for stealing.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
In some cases they do make them pay restitution or at least they try. My ex did some evil **** to people’s places like taking a sledgehammer to all the cupboards and walls plugging sinks leaving the water running opening freezers ect.
Sounds like she could be a lot of fun...she still on the market?
Old 01-23-2020, 07:39 PM

This certainly dosent help, Judge gave this serial offender ONE DAY in jail for armed robbery, cause he hugged the person he was robbing, and past trauma of coarse.

And in a totally expected twist, he did it again! Shocking that ONE DAY in jail didn't set him straight, I mean he had a full 24 hours to think about his life choices

That Judge should of had to house this scumbag for the duration of any probation. I REALLY wish we got to elect our Judges.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-for-two-years
Old 01-24-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
But it is illegal for 'some farm kid' to drive without a license, even
when hauling a tandem or super bee load of grain. That's the last person i want to meet on the road for a multitude of reasons.

When my 2 young cousins helped their dad 1 ran the pedals the other the steering wheel, because neither could reach both. True story.

Picking and choosing what laws you like or choose to ignore is completely your choice until they affect someone else. Keep the kids in the field until they are able to drive legally.
Lots of farm kids get truck or tractor broke really early. That means they can stay on the truck or tractor all day with someone without crying. If you grow up on machinery you get pretty good at it. If you had your choice of meeting a truck on the road that was driven by somebody new to Canada who took a truck driving course or a farmer who grew up running equipment, well I know which one I would want to meet.
See here is the deal with the licence. It used to be that my daughter could just train with me and as soon as she was old enough she could just write the exam and take a driving test and get her class1.
Because of Humboldt the NDP changed the laws and made it mandatory that now she would have to spend over $10,000 to go to truck driving school in order to get her liceance which I think is a farce anyway. If a recent graduate came to me looking for a job it would never happen. Actually 99% of "today's" over the road mega carrier so called truck drivers I wouldn't let near my truck.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
So bumpy roads will reduce crime? I guess potholes in front of liquor stores might prevent robberies too.
I'm thinking the road to hell is probable a paved one. The better a gravel road is,the more outside vehicles travel it. I would never complain about deep ruts or mud holes on my road.
You never see losers standing on the side of a gravel road hitch hiking, holding a sign for Vancouver.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:51 AM

Unfortunately it really doesn't matter what Alberta does the federal government will never allow any legislation that puts the criminals rights at risk. We can arrest every criminal, but the courts will just turn them loose in short order to return to their life of crime.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
In some cases they do make them pay restitution or at least they try. My ex did some evil **** to people’s places like taking a sledgehammer to all the cupboards and walls plugging sinks leaving the water running opening freezers ect. She was ordered to pay over $100,000. But you can’t get money from someone who doesn’t work.

I’m thinking longer terms in jail and hard labour while in there. Maybe take a page from another country and cut off a hand for stealing.
Southern States have the right idea,have chain gangs. But instead of picking up garbage in ditches bring them on farms and make them pick field stones! That would be a great help!
Old 01-24-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking the road to hell is probable a paved one. The better a gravel road is,the more outside vehicles travel it. I would never complain about deep ruts or mud holes on my road.
You never see losers standing on the side of a gravel road hitch hiking, holding a sign for Vancouver.
Not really a solution to the problem and would impact more honest people who live rural then criminals. At best it would only shift where theft happens. But as a by product increase theft on easier access homes and do nothing to lower theft.

Big picture wise this will do nothing to solve theft issues.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Southern States have the right idea,have chain gangs. But instead of picking up garbage in ditches bring them on farms and make them pick field stones! That would be a great help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Not really a solution to the problem and would impact more honest people who live rural then criminals. At best it would only shift where theft happens. But as a by product increase theft on easier access homes and do nothing to lower theft.

Big picture wise this will do nothing to solve theft issues.
Make them work off their crime while in jail( work for municipal/ city doing landscaping, garbage collection and similar work). The money saved goes to the vicim, then they work off the cost of the legal system and police for their crime.

What pecent of crime Yu in rural areas are caused by urbanites and what percentage are from bored rural wanna be badboys doing stupid crap? Any numbers from studies?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A S D View Post
Make them work off their crime while in jail( work for municipal/ city doing landscaping, garbage collection and similar work). The money saved goes to the vicim, then they work off the cost of the legal system and police for their crime.

What pecent of crime Yu in rural areas are caused by urbanites and what percentage are from bored rural wanna be badboys doing stupid crap? Any numbers from studies?
I would love to have these ass hats working off the damage that they caused. I know they will not be punished appropriately by the "Legal industry". If they were picking rocks, I'd probably pay to go watch...
Old 01-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A S D View Post

All for putting them to work to pay there debts

I don’t think it matters where the thieves come form and would bet there is a higher % from urban areas just because there is more people for starters. The truth is it’s not just a problem in the rural areas either. There is no lack of residual theft as well
Old 01-24-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
from what i have been told , the cons have to apply to join the chain gangs and the list is long because the jails are not quite as cushy as ours . this gets them out for a while and also cleans up ditches and parks etc. a bit of a win/win for everyone . i dont know if there is any long term gain from doing this as far as integrating back into society as a productive citizen or not .
Old 01-24-2020, 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=guysmiley;4098657]I would love to have these ass hats working off the damage that they caused. I know they will not be punished appropriately by the "Legal industry". If they were picking rocks, I'd probably pay to go watch...[/QUOTE

What if you could request that they pick rocks on your land?

Imagine ------ Early morning you get up, have breakfast,. With coffee in hand, you head out on the veranda to sit on your favorite chair, with the morning sun warming your face. You sit back and watch as in the distance, the common criminals unload from the back of a large flat bed belonging to Corrections Canada. You hear a prison guard say, "ok boy, time to pay back for you wicked ways". (something like that) Soon after, the sound of picks and shovel fill the air as the criminals (particularly the one that victimized you) start picking rocks from your field.

Something else to consider is public shaming. Nobody wants to look like an idiot in front of their peers.

Someone mentioned the 3 strike rule. I agree with that.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:05 PM

Ok no rock picking how about digging lead at the end of the gun ranges
Old 01-24-2020, 10:07 PM

[QUOTE=A S D;4098848]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post

Something else to consider is public shaming. Nobody wants to look like an idiot in front of their peers.

Someone mentioned the 3 strike rule. I agree with that.
i think that public shaming used to be an element that made our system kind of work back in the day . growing i never knew of anyone that had been incarcerated .if there was , it wasnt talked about because it would of brought shame to the family and relatives .
flash forward 50 years and it doesnt seem to be a big deal if someone is locked up . i know a few younger people who have been locked up and they talk about it freely like its no big deal . one kid a few years ago showed up in the dressing room to play hockey hours after being released and did not think it was a big deal , just part of his life style . how do you publicly shame someone like that ?