Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2024, 09:57 AM

Default Non Trophy Antelope Help

Hey Folks,

Hoping to get out this year with my dad and hunt some new country/critters we have never hunted before. My dad is the reason i started hunting and he’s approaching 70 so we are eager to try something new while he’s still able.We have been so lucky to have hunted elk, moose and deer together, spending many nights in a tree watching animals hoping they come into bow range. We will not be able to scout this year( We live in Edmonton and i’m recovering for a broken ankle) so we are struggling a bit on choosing a wmu (im a p11) as we currently have no permission secured. That said we will head up 3 days before the season to scout and try to secure some access. I’ve looked over many of the old antelope posts and have learned a lot of Tips already. Bring lots of gas, get permission, come a few days before season, get landownership maps, be prepared for longer shots, expect lots of hunters)

I’m aware i’ll be pulling this tag blind and i’m sure i’ll get a bunch of put your boots on the ground comments but it is what it is. I’ve got a rough plan but I’m looking for any other advice y’all can offer. We’re open to any wmu but im P11 so lower priority list. I’m thinking either (108), (104,106,112) Because we don’t have permission i’m thinking a zone with lower hunting pressure and some crown land. Ive been searching the maps and i see there is a decent amount of public land in 108. ( Sandstone, Ross lake N.A, Wild Rose conservation site, Twin river heritage Natural area). Do these areas typically hold antelope? I’m aware that the twin river area may be partially off limits depending on leaseholders? These may sound like silly questions but i’ve never even been to this part of the province. The goal of this hunt and get out and glass, see the country and enjoy some time with my dad. The harvest is second but i would like to know i’m at least on land that provides us a small chance. We will be using a rifle. We will also be staying in an hotel as the old man isn’t much for camping anymore. Any advice is welcome.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:54 AM

You should have absolutely no trouble securing foot access on private and getting a couple does in those areas. Haven’t hunted the crown you mentioned but have hunted the 104, 106, 112 area lots for antelope and mulies and never have an issue getting foot access. Plenty of goats all over, but I’d stick to 106. Your hunt will be what you want to make it, if you scout a couple days beforehand the hunt could be done 1 minute into legal. In a lot of ways I’d almost make a run down early, line up some land and leave the scouting alone until it’s go time for a non-trophy hunt. At least that way you’ll get to explore a bit with a tag in your pocket lol. If not, it’ll be a scouting trip with a trigger pull at sunrise of day 1.

I’ll send you a PM with a good starting point for access 😉
Old 05-03-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
You should have absolutely no trouble securing foot access on private and getting a couple does in those areas. Haven’t hunted the crown you mentioned but have hunted the 104, 106, 112 area lots for antelope and mulies and never have an issue getting foot access. Plenty of goats all over, but I’d stick to 106. Your hunt will be what you want to make it, if you scout a couple days beforehand the hunt could be done 1 minute into legal. In a lot of ways I’d almost make a run down early, line up some land and leave the scouting alone until it’s go time for a non-trophy hunt. At least that way you’ll get to explore a bit with a tag in your pocket lol. If not, it’ll be a scouting trip with a trigger pull at sunrise of day 1.

I’ll send you a PM with a good starting point for access 😉
Meant stick to 104. Just realized I may have put 106. Check your PM’s, outlined it better there lol.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:52 PM

My suggestion is draw around Brooks (142/144) and hunt EID land. Easy access and easy to find a lot of opportunities on non trophy antelope.

I’ve hunted all the ranches you note in 108. Antelope on a few of them but not in the numbers you’ll find in the other WMU options
Old 05-03-2024, 06:22 PM

Check your PM’s