Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-10-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, it is 100% intended to harass firearms owners, to the point where some just give up on owning firearms. They could fix the system, they just don't want to.
Yup i agree elkhunter" plain harrasment, seeing if people will cave in to their tactics & get fed up. disgusting but what can we expect from the Lib losers.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:45 PM

The government thinks people will get fed up with the hassle and give up their guns.
It doesn't even cross their bureaucracy focused minds that people will get fed up with the hassle and give up their licenses instead.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:59 PM

Renewal showed up in the mail Friday. Total 7 business days From the Jan 26th online submission, to in hand.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Renewal showed up in the mail Friday. Total 7 business days From the Jan 26th online submission, to in hand.
Dean, that is crazy fast. You must have slipped through the cracks somehow?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Thought i'd throw this out there. Anyone on here have a registered letter sent to their spouse prior to getting their new license, basically asking them if they have any concerns about their hubby acquiring the renewed license? Cause mine did & i've never had that happen with previous renewals. Must be a new protocol, been married dam near 20yrs. & no criminal record . That's a first for me, they call it a background check. Signed by the Alberta CFO. I mean i'm all for public safety, & i understand some relationships can go sour. where there could be violence,, so i guess they're giving the option to a spouse / partner to come forward if they don't feel safe having a partner get a firearms license ,,, which in my opinion , why are they even in the relationship if that's the case. My spouse would just as soon tell them to stuff their letter, as she trusts me 100% with anything to do with guns, after been hunting & shooting ( including many competitions) for over 50yrs. Must be some new protocol ,, cause that's a first for me.
Did your wife sign your application for renewal?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Dean, that is crazy fast. You must have slipped through the cracks somehow?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Actually, if you ship them some crack with your app it seems to speed things up.

In reality, I have no real idea why I seem to always be so lucky and have been my whole life. Hope it stays that way.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Did your wife sign your application for renewal?

ARG
Nope. Application online didn't stipulate her signature was required. As said - this was a first for me in decades of renewing, i've had firearms licenses since a teenager & i'm north of 70 now , they must pick people at random cause i asked fellow, shooters, & none recall this harassment. Don't know if i will renew after this 5yr. span, depends on health -so far so good still love to shoot, mostly at range friends ranch at steel.. also pick off odd coyotes at his ranch. but don't walk the miles i use to . got to hunt smarter. as we get older, but love to be outdoors.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Thought i'd throw this out there. Anyone on here have a registered letter sent to their spouse prior to getting their new license, basically asking them if they have any concerns about their hubby acquiring the renewed license? Cause mine did & i've never had that happen with previous renewals. Must be a new protocol, been married dam near 20yrs. & no criminal record . That's a first for me, they call it a background check. Signed by the Alberta CFO. I mean i'm all for public safety, & i understand some relationships can go sour. where there could be violence,, so i guess they're giving the option to a spouse / partner to come forward if they don't feel safe having a partner get a firearms license ,,, which in my opinion , why are they even in the relationship if that's the case. My spouse would just as soon tell them to stuff their letter, as she trusts me 100% with anything to do with guns, after been hunting & shooting ( including many competitions) for over 50yrs. Must be some new protocol ,, cause that's a first for me.
I have had it happen to myself, and several people I know, one actually owned a gun shop up here a few years back.
Cat
Old 02-12-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Nope. Application online didn't stipulate her signature was required. As said - this was a first for me in decades of renewing, i've had firearms licenses since a teenager & i'm north of 70 now , they must pick people at random cause i asked fellow, shooters, & none recall this harassment. Don't know if i will renew after this 5yr. span, depends on health -so far so good still love to shoot, mostly at range friends ranch at steel.. also pick off odd coyotes at his ranch. but don't walk the miles i use to . got to hunt smarter. as we get older, but love to be outdoors.
The online application most definitely asks for an electronic signature from your spouse. If you don't provide that they will contact her almost every time. They sometimes contact a spouse even if it is provided. Never had it happen to me but have heard of it.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The online application most definitely asks for an electronic signature from your spouse. If you don't provide that they will contact her almost every time. They sometimes contact a spouse even if it is provided. Never had it happen to me but have heard of it.
I couldn't remember for sure, but I thought there was a place for it, same as the paper form.

My wife has never been contacted about my license but I've never been contacted about hers, so I guess we're even.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
I'm sure there is a specific sub section somewhere on this but....just wanted to know how long a renewal generally takes, I made the mistake of RENEWING online when I should have down graded my license from the get go due to new laws making it impossible to purchase anything that I fancy in the formerly restricted category. Anyway from online application to license in hand took no more than two weeks. Meanwhile a friend who being honest indicated marriage issues has been WITHOUT a valid PAL for over a year- has phoned in and has been handed BS about his renewal is in the cue and hasn't been looked at. My question is directed in his circumstance, is there any hope of him getting his PAL, he has been forced into an illegal situation being in possession without a license. Is there any recourse for him?
My renewal took an excessive 8 months. Can't imagine how long an initial application takes these days. A year maybe?
Old 02-12-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Ok Dean2, i didn't recall seeing a spot for her electronic signature or i would have got her to sign it. maybe that's why they sent her the letter for approval ..ha,ha. I actually wanted to just get a PAL- as i no longer own any restricted's but when i did it online it automatically defaulted to renewing my RPAL, so i thought just go with it, other than starting up fresh changing the application which i figured would just delay things more, & be a bigger hassle.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:14 PM

I have to renew my PAL pretty soon.

Are most of you guys getting an actual passport photo done for your renewal or taking your own photo using the parameters that were already listed on this thread?

Are applicants getting denied more with either photo option?

Thanks for any info....
Old 02-12-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post

Are most of you guys getting an actual passport photo done for your renewal or taking your own photo using the parameters that were already listed on this thread?

Thanks for any info....
Last two i just took a selfie. No issues at all with the pictures if you follow their instructions.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post

Thanks for any info....
The picture is not a passport photo, the format is slightly different, I got mine at AMA, and they knew which format. Two AO regulars, including one person that teaches the course took their own pictures, and both were rejected.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
The picture is not a passport photo, the format is slightly different, I got mine at AMA, and they knew which format. Two AO regulars, including one person that teaches the course took their own pictures, and both were rejected.
I took my own photo and it was accepted. Just have to follow the directions on how to take it.

"The photo should have been taken within the last twelve (12) months. Size: the photo should be no larger than 45 mm x 57 mm (1 3/4″ x 2 1/4″). Your head in the photograph must be at least 30 mm (1 3/16″) high. The photo must be original, not taken from an existing photo."

https://www.propassportphoto.com/can...isting%20photo.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I took my own photo and it was accepted. Just have to follow the directions on how to take it.

"The photo should have been taken within the last twelve (12) months. Size: the photo should be no larger than 45 mm x 57 mm (1 3/4″ x 2 1/4″). Your head in the photograph must be at least 30 mm (1 3/16″) high. The photo must be original, not taken from an existing photo."

https://www.propassportphoto.com/can...isting%20photo.
And once again, the issue is inconsistency in how applications are dealt with. Both people that I mentioned are tradesmen very used to following codes/directions, and dealing with precise measurements. And both had renewed several times previously, with no issues.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:49 PM

I just emailed the Alberta cfo and got an automatic response that said they don't have time for renewal status inquiries.
They also said to expect a processing time for a renewal to be 8-12 months.
So, I guess I paid for a 5 year license, but will only get 4 out of it.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I just emailed the Alberta cfo and got an automatic response that said they don't have time for renewal status inquiries.
They also said to expect a processing time for a renewal to be 8-12 months.
So, I guess I paid for a 5 year license, but will only get 4 out of it.
Here is something to think about. They used to process PALs, and do restricted/ handgun transfers, but now the restricted transfers are no more, so they should have much more time to process PALs, yet on average, the PAL processing time takes as long, or longer than before.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info on the photo gents, appreciate it!
Old 02-14-2024, 01:03 PM

Just got my renewal in the mail today. Under 3 weeks from the time I submitted my online application. My wife is on month 6 of waiting for hers. It's a crapshoot

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2024, 03:25 PM

Default The countdown begins!

I just sent my renewal in. I wonder if I will be one of the lucky ones to get it back before the expiry date?
Old 02-14-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
I just sent my renewal in. I wonder if I will be one of the lucky ones to get it back before the expiry date?
How long did it go in before the expiry date?
Old 02-15-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
How long did it go in before the expiry date?
It will expire in June. Sounds like some folks get a turnaround in weeks, while others wait up to 8 months!
Old 02-15-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
It will expire in June. Sounds like some folks get a turnaround in weeks, while others wait up to 8 months!
With over 4 months, your odds are fairly good, start calling the Alberta CFO at the beginning of May.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:45 PM

Mine expires in November, maybe I should put in now?😳
Old 02-17-2024, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
Mine expires in November, maybe I should put in now?😳
I put mine in the day after my birthday, as early as is allowed with mail in applications.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:02 PM

Prices are going up March 31
Old 02-20-2024, 03:36 PM

Default finnaly

I just talked to the PAL renewal office,my renewal was aproved and being mailed out later this week or early next week,ldindt bother to ask what if any delay was,just happy its on its way 👌and My youngest son's is being sent the same time,double yahooo lol
Old 02-20-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
I just talked to the PAL renewal office,my renewal was aproved and being mailed out later this week or early next week,ldindt bother to ask what if any delay was,just happy its on its way 👌and My youngest son's is being sent the same time,double yahooo lol
So how long since you applied?