Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2016, 03:00 PM

Ive been looking forward to this thread
Get em Popcan
Old 01-09-2016, 03:04 PM

Best of luck Popcam. We're all living vicariously thru you !!
Old 01-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Are you staying out overnight at your blind?

Following...
Old 01-09-2016, 03:36 PM

May all your bullets poke holes. Thanks for sharing.
Does your cell phone record sound?....a good hair raising close by howl would make a great ring tone.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-09-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Best of luck Popcam. We're all living vicariously thru you !!
x 1000!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:46 PM

85 yards eh? That's in tight! Good luck.
Any trail cam pics showing activity closer to daylight hours? Perhaps as they become accustom to the site they will show themselves.
As always thanks for brining us along on your adventure.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:00 PM

Awesome pictures! It's great to have it well shown like this. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:09 PM

Got the popcorn and pop can ready. Been waiting for this as well.
Good Luck sir.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:20 PM

So appreciate this thread. Thank you. Happy hunting.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:18 PM

Question Howling ?

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Very much appreciated. Kinda feels like were all in it together. Nuge & Eric I’m using Google Earth 3D View & then Photoshop to tweak it up. Brooky I’m nor far off the Clearwater…or is it the Horse…Have to check and get back to you…lol. Flight your right, 85 yds is tight. Not a whole lot of room for error at that distance & you know what... I think I was busted yesterday and again today because of it but not sure. So again today at 11:15 am a wolf lets out 3 super long, deep drawn out howls at roughly 200 yds on the opposite side from yesterday. The foxpro was set up so I replied with 3 howls right back then stayed at the ready for at least an hour. No show. Then at 1:30pm it howls again from quite far away. Anyone have an opinion or an educated guess at what’s going on with this howling? Is it howling because it know’s I’m there? Is it warning howls to alert the others or is it simply howling because it can? Honestly it souds like it’s looking for other wolves so it can meet up and hang out… is that realistic? Kinda learning on the fly right now. We’re off to a pretty good start I think and that one that’s hanging around is gonna feel the burn by the looks of it…No cam pics last night but new tracks next to the blind.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2016, 09:27 PM

What i had a pair of wolves doing a long drawn out howl to each other they were working two different cutlines and where keeping tabs on each other to go the same way. Cool setup for the dogs. Good Luck!!!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 AM

That's the horse river. Keep at it. Your getting some day time action. You will get em.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:40 AM

PopCan
Great thread again this year, thank you! I was wondering what kind of winds/scent conditions you are experiencing at your blind? Looking at your google earth picture of your stand, deep valley, narrow, sharp bends, warm sides(rising currents), cold sides(descending currents) it must be a predator hunters scent nightmare! lol
Your thought, please.
PS: Good luck!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 AM

Popcan, great thread and pics. What you are doing takes a lot of work, time and effort. Thank you for sharing. Good luck to you.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:44 AM

What do you have for bait in those Blocks Popcan? I wonder if you could drag a roadkill or 2 of some wild game if it would get them in a little more often? It might get the birds on the bait a little harder and that might get the wolves in a little quicker for you?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
I think I was busted yesterday and again today because of it but not sure. So again today at 11:15 am a wolf lets out 3 super long, deep drawn out howls at roughly 200 yds on the opposite side from yesterday. The foxpro was set up so I replied with 3 howls right back then stayed at the ready for at least an hour. No show. Then at 1:30pm it howls again from quite far away. Anyone have an opinion or an educated guess at what’s going on with this howling? Is it howling because it know’s I’m there? Is it warning howls to alert the others or is it simply howling because it can? Honestly it souds like it’s looking for other wolves so it can meet up and hang out… is that realistic? Kinda learning on the fly right now.
Wolves howl for a couple reasons...

Chorus howling, 2 or more wolves howling together, is a territorial thing and to rally the pack.

A single wolf howling is usually that individual locating other wolves.

The foxpro may have confused the howling wolf.

JMO... If the lone wolf howling is older they can identify their pack mates by the pack mates voices. If university studies can identify individual wolves voices with 97% success you can bet a wolf knows its pack mates voices 100%.

It might be that the foxpro howls don't sound familiar to the lone howler. The foxpro call may be being heard as a territorial rival causing the wolf to back off. You might be better off recording the local wolves howls and using it against themselves because they will know who the yodeler is.

Overstimulation of the wolfs senses by free bait available and unfamiliar howls in the same area might put up a wolf's spidey senses.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-10-2016, 01:41 PM

I know ZERO about hunting or calling wolves. But I do know a bit about calling coyotes. In light of Red Bullets post about voice recognition you might want to forget howling back at them. I would try a raven call (or magpie if they are in that area) and maybe even a crow decoy or two (not sure they even make raven dekes).
Old 01-10-2016, 02:01 PM

GSJ it’s been kinda windless down in there so it’s too early to tell right now. I also believe that less is more at that particular set up. It’s heavily contained with my scent right now. Tone of commotion in the last 10 days. Gotta give it some time and leave it alone for a bit … let them get used to coming and going undisturbed. Red your right probably scared it. That foxpro can work well but whatever animal that is coming in to see is on the lookout which is the opposite of what I’m trying to do… you win some you loose some. That wolf probably tilted it’s head sideways and thought to itself WTF… That guys here again…lol Glad I tried it but it’ll stay at home from here on out. Nube I thought about dragging a beaver but hard to maneuver in there plus there’s a ton of buzzards on the meat scraps most of the time making a racket like you wouldn’t believe plus they’re like live decoys pulling attention onto them and away from me if something comes out.

We’ll see how it plays out next weekend… Thanks
Old 01-10-2016, 04:47 PM

Hope you do well next week Popcan. we are all cheering for you. I know with my baits this year it is more exciting than Christmas to go and see what is going on every visit. I got the one the other day and put a new dead moose there. Sure hope it gets the pack back in. Hope when they come in you get lucky and whack 3 of them on
Old 01-11-2016, 05:06 PM

I'm curious why you couldn't put your blind on top of the hill where the sun is on this photo? Would help with scent not contaminating the valley.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 PM

I would get the blind 200 yards away and not use the foxpro. Since you have bait you don't need the foxpro.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I would get the blind 200 yards away and not use the foxpro. Since you have bait you don't need the foxpro.
X2, enjoy your threads popcan!
Old 01-11-2016, 05:42 PM

Wolves can be quit vocal and not just howl. Have sat near a few kills in the night and during the day in spots were you cant see the kill but hear whats going on. During some of there pecking order fights on who gets to feed when you would think one wolf is being torn apart, but it also gets others worked up. Imitating a wolf/dog/coyote in distress may bring them running in.
A coyote decoy may help as well.
good luck.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:33 PM

Good question Chuck Wagon. I actually put a lot of thought into that... putting the blind up there would have seriously limited my field of view. Lots of times wolves come in and hang up or circle around and leave without making it all the way in. Seen it lots. I thought my odds of spotting one would be better where the blind is. Ideally it would have been nice to have it reversed because of the river but didn’t want the sun in my face. My scents always gonna be there now so they’ll grow accustomed to it and disregard it as normal for that area. In the mean time I’ll say like Nube and am excited as heck to get back out there. Near ready to bust!! Looking at trail cams that send pics to cell or email. Waiting & not knowing whats going on is hard on me.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
History has shown Popcan has a pretty good handle on wolves.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 PM

I'm not overly excited about this, pretty boring actually..............
YEAH ,RIGHT!!
Go Get 'em, Champ!
Cat
Old 01-11-2016, 08:44 PM

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to hunt wolves thru your efforts , experiences and pictures.
Good luck!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Wolves can be quit vocal and not just howl. Have sat near a few kills in the night and during the day in spots were you cant see the kill but hear whats going on. During some of there pecking order fights on who gets to feed when you would think one wolf is being torn apart, but it also gets others worked up. Imitating a wolf/dog/coyote in distress may bring them running in.
A coyote decoy may help as well.
good luck.
x2 It wouldn't hurt to try it some slow day. Wolves hate Coyotes. and the coyote decoys is a very good idea. Just trying to help. go get them can't wait.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Banned

You need a 5 gallon pail of my two year old bait brew! That will bring EVERYTHING in. They won't smell you when you release a pail of that stuff!!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:06 PM

In my limited experience the best response I have had from howling has been to mimic the wolf if it answers you.

Agree with the coyote or fighting coyote calls, or maybe even a predator call bringing them in as long as they aren't already spooked.

Great thread, I appreciate your effort in posting.

Gerry Burnie