Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2016, 02:25 PM

Excellent posts Nog. I am sure glad I did not use holidays to go down there in January, not at all what I'm into as a hunter. I was interested in some steak from a cull, but not driving through elk corpses wondering where the shooters went. That would have boiled me over for sure. On the Brightside, I have 5 more vacation days to chase some even tastier archery elk this fall.

Spruce
Old 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM

If the hunt continues, it will not normalize till all the elk are gone. as indicated, they then need to have hunts at lower elk populations. these hunts will then have low success percentages and become like any other draw elk hunt.

Presently, the majority of hunters, both FN and non FN, realise it is(was???)a pretty easy hunt to get an elk, and possibly a trophy with little/no effort. till that changes nothing else will.

and I will add that I agree, all your statements according to my oberservations are true. good to see you kept any conspiracy theories involving the military out of it

Last edited by Joe Black; 02-11-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:53 PM

Opening up the nwa would make this hunt an actual hunt for those with the initiative to go in on foot, it would also move te animals around more actually increasing success both inside and outside. Spreading the elk out creates less of a gong show and also spreads out the hunters
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
Great write up.

The possibility of an easy big bull elk are what draw people to this area. Plain and simple this is a low fence hunt. People think they can drive around and pick out their bull. As you can see this allure even attracts the most wholesome outdoorsman,I honestly don't know why people argue against high fence hunts. This eliminates any troubles with FN hunters(who by the way will always trump any other types of hunts under present Treaties) generate revenue, and everyone's happy.

There's many things they could do to make this an enjoyable hunt, such as the mentioned on foot only access, except that will not help as much in the desired result of dead elk and lowering the population.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck403 View Post
More tags are going out this year they already said.
Complete unadulterated Bull****.
No decision will be made in that regard until well after the next census is conducted and analyzed. Even then, the entire decision will rest again in the hands of the newly incoming Base Commander. Anyone who suggests otherwise is simply blowing smoke up you know where...

I will not gratify your obvious lack of reading comprehension skills by any further comment on what you replied...

Thumper: I completely recognize that some will have had differing experiences, and did note that. Congratulations for being among the very very few who did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
... You and I could share a camp any day Nog.
The feeling is mutual, and just perhaps we will some day realize that...

To the many others, I Thank You for your kind words. They certainty are Appreciated.

It was not "easy" for me to write this story, and there were many times I simply thought To Hell With It. But... I am an Old School Hunter, and treasure that lifestyle immensely. As such I felt Something simply had to be said, for although some here (and elsewhere) alluded to these shenanigans, no-one really came out and presented a thorough presentation of the same. I have attempted to in my meager offerings above, in the desperate Hope that somehow, in some small way, they might effect a positive change for the future...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-11-2016, 08:01 PM

Thanks Nog!
Having been there for a couple earlier hunts your story really takes me back. I also gleaned some useful information that I hope to use if I return. Although we were totally successful filling 4 of 4 cow tags I think that the area does deserve more study on my part. "And a longer zeroing my rifles. Lol"
Old 02-11-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Agreed. And if I add comments (as I am now), then people have to sift through 15 pages of bs just to get the whole story. I wish there were ways to create a picture thread or story thread like this where comments don't interupt the full story (or comments can't be made)
But for some reason people need to bit ch about people choosing not to comment, meanwhile contributing to the very bs we wanted to avoid.
Ditto kujoseto, cannot agree more! Excellent read, cannot wait to read more, opening up the forum regularly to get updated! Rather not do the shifting thing!
Or have some bit..ch!!
Old 02-11-2016, 08:30 PM

very well written nog,just as your stories on the island deer.As i have been reading your stories for years and know you are a well versed and very knowledgable hunter that know's his quarry.I believe your accounting of the hunt as described because unlike most of the people here i have read the stories and understand that you are very ethical. and unlike you in probably only this instance would have not gone back for that last day.But understand like you say your not a quitter,good on you.Enjoy the steaks you deserve them.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 PM

Thanks nog. Was an awesome read and great to see it from your perspective with such detail.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:25 PM

Thank you Nog, for someone to take the time to write in such detail and length, shows me that you truly care what happens at "Suffield", and all outdoorsman should hope for a better outcome.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:49 PM

Default Suffield Elk

Since I have to hunt from my wheelchair, I thought the Suffield hunt would be a good fit for me. After reading Nog`s post, I have changed my mind. Excellent read by the way.