Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2016, 07:58 PM

Default Bear hunters Beaver cage solution!

Last year there was a lot of us interested in beaver cages including myself. I still had not built one or found anything suitable until this week. I frequently search kijiji for scrap steal in hopes to find some that would help build one but nothing!
EVER lol so i got thinking what else could facilitate the beaver cage and I type in the word CAGE and what appeared to my amazement was dog kennels!!

I started searching these kennels and turns out they have great dimensions, made of strong steal, already have a hinged door with lock and they break down to fold flat for transporting. The best part about these is they cost between $25-50 so i picked up two this week SCORE!!!

Thought i would pass this on in case any one else out there is still trying to build or buy a beaver cage.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 PM

I dunno how these will stand up to bears. I've had a few fail from my dogs pawing at them. Not totally but welds would let go.

I suspect a bear will peel one open in no time flat.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:24 PM

I give it about 60 seconds before the cage is torn open and the beavers are gone. My lab has caused the welds to pop on dog kennels. If you plan on using these, I would re-enforce the living heck out of them, or plan on losing your cages and whatever you put in them in a hurry.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I give it about 60 seconds before the cage is torn open and the beavers are gone. If you plan on using these, I would re-enforce the living heck out of them, or plan on losing your cages and whatever you put in them in a hurry.
Ditto .. Im afraid bears would have no trouble with the fold down aspect .
Old 02-12-2016, 10:04 PM

X5. A bear would tear it apart. I built some out of 10" pipe with expanded metal on the ends. Welded a 1/4" chain to it that fastens to a tree. Tricky part is building a latch to open one end for access tht a bear won't get open. I think I ended up welding on a nut that I could thread a bolt into.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-12-2016, 10:20 PM

Default Bears

Bears can bend open a car door to get a few potato chips.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:28 PM

haha well it will be a cheap experiment at the very least. I will let you all know how i make out with them haha you could be right
Old 02-13-2016, 12:24 PM

Post the pics of the dog kennel after the bear rips a hole in it . . Go to the steel pile at the dump . There's always good steel there for projects .
Old 02-13-2016, 08:10 PM

Dick284 shared an awesome idea awhile back using two milk crates and metal hose clamps.
Im trying that one this year
Old 02-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post

Dick284 shared an awesome idea awhile back using two milk crates and metal hose clamps.
Im trying that one this year
I don't know what would be easier for a bear to chew open, a dog-kennel or a milk-crate...?

Old 02-14-2016, 12:54 AM

Yea might not work lol
Old 02-14-2016, 09:39 AM

We never used cages but would hang Bevers from a tree with a upside down five gallon Pail over hem an always seemed to work good
Old 02-14-2016, 10:07 AM

I helped a friend string a rope between two trees and then hung the beaver from that. A bear did eventually get it but it lasted a long time.

We didn't get it quite high enough and a big bear managed to eat the bottom half.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I don't know what would be easier for a bear to chew open, a dog-kennel or a milk-crate...?

depends on the bear, I bolted a 5 gallon pail very securely to two trees and filled it with goodies....A bear came in, bit the bottom of the bucket and peeled it open like a banana. Never hunted that site much after that.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
depends on the bear, I bolted a 5 gallon pail very securely to two trees and filled it with goodies....A bear came in, bit the bottom of the bucket and peeled it open like a banana. Never hunted that site much after that.
Lmao !! You just made my day
Thank you
Old 02-14-2016, 11:51 PM

I make my cages out of 2"x 2" mesh with 3/16" wire and they seem to hold up ok, but I'd hate to see what would happen with lighter stuff.
We've had them snap 1/8" chain and tear steel drums wide open.
Bears are incredibly strong and if there's a weakness anywhere, they'll find it.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 AM

One decent sized bear will demolish a dog kennel. I thought the same thing a few years ago but here was the issue.

If tied to a tree or left on the ground (inside the cage) birds and small carnivores will infiltrate within a day. Then when the bear shows up they just jump on it and completely flatten it like a pancake.

My biggest issue when I started bear baiting was underestimating the power of a hungry black bear.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Banned

if you need scrap steel i'm sure we could take a walk in the yard and find you a chunk of pipe.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:37 PM

bait Darrel.jpg
Not sure if this may be what you are looking for, but it works.
A few long poles inserted through the removable re-bar grate saves the bait and keeps them coming back.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:04 PM

Default Beaver Cage

I saw a bait site one time that had beaver cages made out of rebar. They looked very strong and you can make them any size you like.