Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 PM

Default I lost my hunting partner today

My Lab was 12 + years old. We hunted together and did so many things together. Today he had to be put to rest. I can't sleep even. His name was Copey and I can't begin to comprehend how many retrives he performed over the years. He was a great hunting partner and a great friend and pet.

I got to take him to Fincastle lake one last time today before we had to return to the vet. We spent so many hours there, even when it was not hunting season, we would just drive there and let him run and play for hours.

Sorry if this is not the forum to use, I just needed to talk about it.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 PM

Sorry for your loss, sounds like you miss a great family member, glad you could go out to the lake one last time... RIP Copey
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM

Sorry to hear about your lose. Good dogs are hard to replace!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabers Best View Post
My Lab was 12 + years old. We hunted together and did so many things together. Today he had to be put to rest. I can't sleep even. His name was Copey and I can't begin to comprehend how many retrives he performed over the years. He was a great hunting partner and a great friend and pet.

I got to take him to Fincastle lake one last time today before we had to return to the vet. We spent so many hours there, even when it was not hunting season, we would just drive there and let him run and play for hours.

Best place around to talk about it.
People here understand where you are comming from.
Glad to hear you guys got out one more time.
Jamie
Old 02-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Banned

A few years ago I had to put my hunting partner down, a 12 year old Brittany, as well. Of all the things that I've seen and done in 27 years in the Army I'd have to say that it was one of the toughest things that I have ever done. I too had a chance to take him to the bush one last time in the morning before taking him to the vet but I ended up having to carry him back to the truck he was so weak. Very, very hard but it was the best thing to do for a friend. You did what you had to do and I'm sure that he would thank you for it if he could. I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 AM

The ONLY PLACE to talk about it Tabers, my condolences man, that is tough.

Remember the good times, they are with you with you always... hang in there.

Feelin your pain my friend....
Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 AM

Sounds like this one hurts!
Really sorry for you.
Dogs can be better hunting parnters/companions then most people are.
Never late and don't complain. You always get to do what you want to and they are more then happy about it.
Great listeners!
Nothing will replace your friend. It sounds cheesy but be happy about all the good times you had and try to concentrate on that and not how much you miss them right now.
Time will help. Regardless I am sorry for your loss!
Hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 AM

So very sorry for your loss, I too have lost far more than I would like to remember over the years!
Go get yourself another, but there is no need to forget those good buddies that have gone before , I often find myself thinking of past dogs that were good friends as well.....!
Cat
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Default WE share your pain

God made it so that we live longer, and the last day comes for our beloved friends before it comes for us.

At this time due to the pain you feel, it is hard not to think that you don't want an other dog, but that is the best way.

Start looking for a puppy that will love you and you her/him and continue the hobby you love as long as you are able.

When my lab died I pretty much gave up hunting for years. The Doc told me I had to exercise and loose weight, you guessed it a new pup. She wants to go every day, we do 6 miles, I can pheasant hunt all day and so can she. I have lost 25 lbs and still counting.

I'll never forget "Pokey" but Ginnie is keeping me alive and I love it.

We all know how hard this is, my deepest sympathies.

Bob
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 AM

Tabers: I'm very sorry for your loss, I feel like my boys are my children and I can't begin to comprehend what you must feel like.

We've all lost loved ones over the years and it doesn't get any easier. Stay strong and the good memories will eventually over power the feeling of loss.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Sorry to hear about this. I can only Imagine what you are going through.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 AM

sorry for your loss , truly man's best friend . I'm sure you gave Copey a terrific time here and it sounds like a lot of friendship
Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Im sorry for your loss

Ive said it before that I believe the only mistake God ever made was when he determined the life span of a dog.

All my best
Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Default Condolences

As many times as I have been down the same road, it never gets easier. It is one of the crimes of nature that our companion animals are so short lived but it is the fact. Take some solace in the fact that you are doing all the right things for your beloved friend and family member. Too many people think only of themselves and prolong unnecessary suffering just to keep their friend around when in doing so they are doing no kind of favor for them. Think back to all the good times, ....... look at pictures....... celebrate all the wonderful time spent together doing what you both loved, and above all say thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM

You have my sympathy. I'm on my fourth lab in about 35 years so I've been through it 3 times so far and it doesn't get any easier each time. The current one is coming up on his 9th birthday and I'm not looking forward to the day when he reaches the end of the trail.
The best advice I can give you is to get a new one and get started with him or her as soon as possible.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Sorry you lost a good family member.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 PM

Default sad times

Special condolences from Misus Free and myself. Thats a tough loss.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM

To live is to die my friend…

Your dog just turned the final page of a happy, successfully life. What more could you ever ask for? Despite the grief that this occasion will inevitably cause you, consider it a bittersweet success of sorts.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:51 PM

Sorry for your loss.
12 years is a good, full life for a dog, and it sounds like you had a terrific partnership. Hope you have the opportunity to give some other lucky puppy out there, just as fufilling a life.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM

I am sorry for your loss I understand the pain, the grief, the tears all too well I lost my yellow lab of twelve years just this christmas...The tears still flow, the pain is still there but so are the memmories. Knowing you did the right thing helps abit but to be honest it it doesnt help with the pain of missing, the quietness around the home, and having no one to greet you as you get back in your truck or come home. It just plain sucks!
Try and remember the good times look at pictures. It hurts as well it should after all from the day your brought him home he was your best most loyal friend in life and always will be.

Sorry for your loss
Mike
Old 02-11-2011, 02:41 PM

My condolences on your loss Tabers. I can't imagine what you are going through, as our pup is only 16 months.

Remember the good times. The pain will slowly fade, but the memories will always remain.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM

It doesn't get any easier but it's a necessity of responsible pet ownership. The emotion is hard to control. When it was time for our first lab to take "the drive" I almost lost my lunch and I put 17 years in as a firefighter so my stomach is pretty strong. My buddy sent me a card with this poem on it. Pretty well says it all.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---

Hang tough.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 PM

Tough thing to do, I had to put my 12 year Brittany down a while back ago, we hunted and competed in field trials for 12 years, old guy couldent breathe any more so i took him in and we had to put him down, I still think of him as Im drivivng around and especially in the fall when Im out hunting over my other Brittany.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 PM

My sincere condolenses on your loss, stay strong, remember the good times you shared.
Eagle's poem says it all...
I hope there's allot of upland and waterfowl on the other side of that Rainbow Bridge for All our buddies, I know my Brie and Britta will be playing with your guy soon enough.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:30 PM

My thoughts are with you. It is a very tough time that you face but remember the great days you had with him and yes, everyone says it but it is true; time heals. I still think about my lab every day and its been almost a year now. Hang in there!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Sorry to hear about your hunting buddy. Just remember all the good times you two had together. That is what has helped me get through times like this
Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 PM

Sincere condolences. RIP Copey.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss

It's a pain I know and one I'm facing again as my 13.5y/o Golden Retriever slows down more and more every day.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 PM

That really sucks man, sorry for your loss. Like others have said my 10 yr ol chessie is slowing down, a couple of mysteriuos lumps shown up, started to limp a bit, tough day ,yep I see it coming too! Not really ready for it.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabers Best View Post

You have my deepist sympathy , lost my boy Coal last summer 13 yrs old , also black lab , l feel theres something missing in my life now , and there is , we will always love him ,and miss him , his pic and collar sit by my bed now.