Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
Hacking on ones city is a friendly arguement??? With friends like that who needs enemies right.
Like I said, Keep it to hockey, not everyone likes nor sees the humour in this thread.
Well, in this case it is friendly.
Ok who is the baby who complained????

Ok onto tonights game....
WOW, what a great game to watch. Calgary handed SJ a big loss tonight. I am sure that will do wonders for the Flames confidence.

Calgary will have to play these clowns in the playoffs. Now they know they can beat them. I noticed a few cheap shots by SJ tonight. That will be remembered next game.

Kipper is fast turning into the best goalie in the NHL.. ONCE AGAIN!!

Man its nice to have a team in your city that you can chear for.

Jamie
Old 01-16-2009, 07:08 AM

Good win by the the boys last night.The team is lookin better and better.Once they put up a couple wins against Detroit I will believe they are serious contenders.

I wish Iggy could get going a bit more...Is anyone else surprised the Clowe has 19 goals????

Oil need to make some changes quick and thats all there is to it....
Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM

My Canucks have fallen apart. Pretty frustrating.

The Flames are looking very strong...but so were the the Canucks before Luongo got hurt (they went on a big run and beat the Wings twice). Things can definitely change. It's a long season.

BB - Clowe is impressive. He looked really good at the end of last season too. Definitely one of the up and coming power forwards.

Last edited by hunt_and_fish; 01-16-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=blackpheasant;247020]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I could go on and on but my point is the Flames org. is not run by some mediocre ex-Oiler players from the past, and it shows.
I would not expect the Flames to be run by some mediocre ex-OILER players from the past.... no WAIT! Jim Playfair!!!!!! First round Oiler draft pick and player... mind you, not sure he even makes it up to mediocre
And plenty of ex-oilers still live in Edmonton...

And don't get all excited about the Flames being a superior organization. Who's won the most cups? What Alberta team won the LAST cup?, Who went to the stanley cup finals most recently? Who has the most players in the hall of fame? But heck, let's even throw out th Edm glory days... Points from the 2000/2001 season to the end of the 2007/2008 season: Edmonton 620, Calgary 614. You happen to be ahead right now in the standings for this season. Enjoy it. But I judge the quality of an organization over more than just a year or two.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=Okotokian;247410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post

I would not expect the Flames to be run by some mediocre ex-OILER players from the past.... no WAIT! Jim Playfair!!!!!! First round Oiler draft pick and player... mind you, not sure he even makes it up to mediocre
And plenty of ex-oilers still live in Edmonton...

And don't get all excited about the Flames being a superior organization. Who's won the most cups? What Alberta team won the LAST cup?, Who went to the stanley cup finals most recently? Who has the most players in the hall of fame? But heck, let's even throw out th Edm glory days... Points from the 2000/2001 season to the end of the 2007/2008 season: Edmonton 620, Calgary 614. You happen to be ahead right now in the standings for this season. Enjoy it. But I judge the quality of an organization over more than just a year or two.
I agree, the Oilers of the old were a great club no doubt about it, the Flames were a damn good team when the Oilers were winning all those cup's as well, some of the best hockey I ever watched was between Calgary and Edmonton. But this is 2009 and the Flames have taken there Org. to the next level the Oilers have not, there chances of ever winning another cup are about 0, if I was an Oiler fan i would be more concerned with that fact then what happened 15 years ago. Go FLAMES GO
Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=blackpheasant;247433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
But this is 2009 and the Flames have taken there Org. to the next level the Oilers have not, there chances of ever winning another cup are about 0,
This year, yes. They are a better team right now, but we were talking organizations, and those perform over the long term. The Flames haven't been more successful historically, even over this past decade. They are better right now, and they were a whole 6 points better last year. You must be reading the "Flames are now an elite NHL team" press clippings. Elite teams don't continually tank in the first round of the playoffs.

And the Oilers chances of EVER winning another cup are zero? How could the chances for ANY franchise that can spend to the cap, has a large devoted fan base and a financially stable billionaire owner be zero?

Last edited by Okotokian; 01-16-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Banned

Not sure if I would call them a ELITE team.. At least not yet. But let me tell you, they are VERY close. Elite teams status only applies to the regular season so far.

I don’t know who's organisation is better, but I do know Edmonton had to put together a DVD showing how great the city and organisation was in order to try and attract free agents.
The fact is, there is really a negative vibe to playing in Edmonton. Perhaps that is changing, but for the last little bit Edmonton has struggled with that issue.

From a Calgarians point of view, I do get a bit of a giggle out of the whole thing. Ok, more than a giggle. Think ROTFLMAO!

BUT I wonder if its unfair and Edmonton has been painted due to Pronger running out of town and Smyth not signing and what about that guy who’s Dad owned the brick. I am not sure of the exact reasons, but Edmonton isnt that bad. Really who would want to live in OHIO or Tennessee?

Its hard for us down here to relate to that problem. EVERYONE LOVES CALGARY.
We did lose Cliff Fletcher though because his wife "Boots" wanted to live someplace else. Cliff divorced her after that happened.

As a side note, FORBES says the flames are worth more $$$ than the Oilers.

Jamie
Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Kiprusoff best goalie??? Ohhh, it is to laugh. Doesn't rank anywhere near the top of the league in meaningful stats.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
The fact is, there is really a negative vibe to playing in Edmonton. Perhaps that is changing, but for the last little bit Edmonton has struggled with that issue.
I think that's probably true, and I do think it arose largely out of the Pronger situation. largely overblown I think by the media though. Edmonton was attractive enough to get him and Pecca to originally sign, and lots of others before that.

Unfortunately the Oiler organization has too much class to use the Pronger situation to their advantage. Would have loved to have seen the headline "Pronger forced to leave because Edmonton girls too hot!"
Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Kiprusoff best goalie??? Ohhh, it is to laugh. Doesn't rank anywhere near the top of the league in meaningful stats.
You mean such stats as WINS?????

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 01-16-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Jamie
C'mon Jamie, you're reaching now. Kipper has most wins because he's played more than anyone else (since the team has no confidence in their back-up goalie). Wins are a team stat. If they aren't, then every skater on Detroit is better than Iggy. Kip's a good goalie on a good team. His GAA and save percentage are much more pertinent, and not world class. He's a keeper, but....
Old 01-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Jamie
If I was a fan of your team I would be scared s$%#es that once again we're going out in the first round because we rode Kipper. Your back up sucks...plain and simple. You should be yelling at managements inability to get a quality back up on the Flames....happens every year you guys know it and so does the rest of the league......
Old 01-16-2009, 03:46 PM

No Jamie, if ya play every game yeah you can rack up wins. Maybe you should look at winning percentage. Tim Thomas and Manny Fernandez come to mind.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

Come on Boys.
You all know Kipper has been one of the premier Goaltenders since about the middle of November.

As to our back up situation. Who knows how good he is.. Kipper decideds when he plays and when he sits.

Playing goal is about more than stopping all the shots, its also about makeing the HUGE save when your team needs you to. Grant Fuhr was the master at this.
There isnt a team in the NHL who wouldnt kill to have Kipper.

Winners WIN.. Loser keep track of stats

Jamie
Old 01-16-2009, 04:45 PM

I know quite a few teams who wouldn't want Kipper. When it came crunch time, game 7 he was outplayed by Khabibulin. That is when a goalie is supposed to win ya one and he couldn't!

I am not a fan of any of the Alberta teams and my team is doing quite well I must admit!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
If I was a fan of your team I would be scared s$%#es that once again we're going out in the first round because we rode Kipper. Your back up sucks...plain and simple. You should be yelling at managements inability to get a quality back up on the Flames....happens every year you guys know it and so does the rest of the league......
Obviously you have not watched Kipper play the last 2 months, he is easily the best goalie in the league right now, the guy is a workhorse and he Loves to play everynight, he has said many times this year the only stat he cares about is wins and they are piling those up this year. As far as being scared and yelling at management I'll leave that to you Oiler fans, I mean "Roloson" BAHAHAHAHAHA !
Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 PM

Think you better check into a certain goalie named Steve Mason or maybe Tim Thomas and yeah guess Luongo has been out for a bit just like Brodeur.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Think you better check into a certain goalie named Steve Mason or maybe Tim Thomas and yeah guess Luongo has been out for a bit just like Brodeur.
OK, I have, but Kipper has proven he can be the best, he is playing like the Kipper of old, which means he is winning some crucial hockey games at crucial times for his club. The teams fired up 9-1 last 10 games, beat San Jose twice recently. Whats not to like ?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 PM

You have to remember that the things that get poked fun of in terms of Oiler's woes by Flames fans are teh EXACT same things that make we Oilers fans bonkers too! And vice versa.

The Oil have turned around since MacT finally went with a number one goalie. That, and the Cole/Gagner chemistry is working.

I love the guy, but MacT is NOT the right man to coach this team. Watch for him to be moved upstairs in the off season.

Kipper right now is playing some of his best hockey since signing the big contract and shows no signs of letting up. He will crack the 50 win barrier this season. Remember, this roll they are on right now has been accomplished with very little offensive contribution from Iggy. Very deep team right now that could be the best second half team in the league at this point. First round home ice advantage will be vital to them.

The last two games of the season are a Flames/Oilers home and home.........

Oilers will make the playoffs in 7th. Very good chance it could be a Battle of Alberta first rounder! How fun would that be??

Tree
Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
You have to remember that the things that get poked fun of in terms of Oiler's woes by Flames fans are teh EXACT same things that make we Oilers fans bonkers too! And vice versa.

The Oil have turned around since MacT finally went with a number one goalie. That, and the Cole/Gagner chemistry is working.

I love the guy, but MacT is NOT the right man to coach this team. Watch for him to be moved upstairs in the off season.

Kipper right now is playing some of his best hockey since signing the big contract and shows no signs of letting up. He will crack the 50 win barrier this season. Remember, this roll they are on right now has been accomplished with very little offensive contribution from Iggy. Very deep team right now that could be the best second half team in the league at this point. First round home ice advantage will be vital to them.

The last two games of the season are a Flames/Oilers home and home.........

Oilers will make the playoffs in 7th. Very good chance it could be a Battle of Alberta first rounder! How fun would that be??

Tree
Yes sir, Kipper will be going for an NHL record trying to beat Brodeur's 48 win's in a single season, and Jarome hasn't even played his best hockey of the season yet, now that's scary...Edmontonchuk - Cowtown first round would be great, don't bet to much on the underdog in this one though..
Old 01-17-2009, 12:51 AM

2 points out of 5th in the conference....if we win out against PHX and CBJ I think my 6th place at the allstar break estimate could be bang on.....

Did anyone see Sourays beat down on that Minny player...geez.....cough**NORRIS***cough

Just sayn'
Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 AM

hmmm, didn't know the norris was decided by fights. He did destroy him though. there are many having better seasons far ahead of souray though.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
2 points out of 5th in the conference....if we win out against PHX and CBJ I think my 6th place at the allstar break estimate could be bang on.....

Did anyone see Sourays beat down on that Minny player...geez.....cough**NORRIS***cough

Just sayn'
Kanon, I was looking at the standings this AM.. You might end up being dead on. For some strange reason, I find myself cheering them on to get to 6th place. PHX plays Calgary then you guys. Could be a nice swing.

Jamie
Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
hmmm, didn't know the norris was decided by fights. He did destroy him though. there are many having better seasons far ahead of souray though.
Really, a norris candidate should be a teams MVP imo. This year he is near the top in goals, is a plus in the +- cat. He fights, hes a leader, made the allstar team and is currently 9th or 10th ranked dman in the League. The only 2 d man Id put ahead of him are Shea Webber and Zedano Chara
Old 01-17-2009, 12:24 PM

I agree A norris winner should be his teams MVP. But that team should be good. Not saying the team HAS to be good, but it isn't hard to be the best player on the oilers. no one has really stepped up this year. I would add a few more to your list that trump souray. Lidstrom, mike green, brian campbell, dan boyle, Mark streit, and dennis wideman. Notice my pics? they are ALL Plus players. souray is a -2. granted souray is pretty good this year, he is just not that good.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:27 PM

See this is where we disagree, you pull any of those players out of your lineup and the team chugs on without missing a beat....pull Chara, Souray or Webber and those teams are in deep to me thats what a candidate should be..
Old 01-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Just sayn'

When I first read this I thought you meant like Chuck Norris Garon gone...Danny Sabourin in is what i here????
Old 01-17-2009, 02:42 PM

Wow, you think all those teams would be fine without their best d-man. sure most have good offence but where does offence start? If you don't have consistent good first passes then you turn the puck over far too often. My players are, Lidstrom, mike green, brian campbell, dan boyle, Mark streit, and dennis wideman. The only teams that would be ok without their players would be detroit and san jose maybe, simply due to depth. Lidstrom and Boyle are defensive studs though. How can you deny that with their history of success. I hate detroit but they have the best defenseman to play the last ten years. I like your pics of chara and webber though, I just don't see souray in the same class as any of them though.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Hey Fella's, don't discount Markov in Montreal, points, and +-, Souray is one bright spot on a weak team but his +- keeps him out, plus he plays out west, in the east he is Sheldon who ?
Old 01-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Wow, you think all those teams would be fine without their best d-man. sure most have good offence but where does offence start? If you don't have consistent good first passes then you turn the puck over far too often. My players are, Lidstrom, mike green, brian campbell, dan boyle, Mark streit, and dennis wideman. The only teams that would be ok without their players would be detroit and san jose maybe, simply due to depth. Lidstrom and Boyle are defensive studs though. How can you deny that with their history of success. I hate detroit but they have the best defenseman to play the last ten years. I like your pics of chara and webber though, I just don't see souray in the same class as any of them though.

I am suspecting a Flames fan here.....

BP yes Markov is havn a good year also....but Sheldon is known well down East he was an all star there playn for Montreal and he played for NJ