Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2020, 05:48 PM

Default Browning Safari clip upgrade

Has anyone here upgraded their Browning FN Safari hinged floor plate to a clip system? I have one in 308 caliber i was thinking of converting if doable without damaging the stock.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:53 PM

Arrrrrrgh!

Don’t be a bubba and ruin a truly classic rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-21-2020, 07:01 PM

I agree with Dick. That would NOT be an upgrade.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:02 PM

You are getting hit hard...x3...unless it is salt wood then do what you want
Old 12-21-2020, 10:49 PM

God I love hinged floor plates as much as I hate clips....or magazines for the snobs.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:20 AM

x4. Keep it the way it is. On top of that I have never heard of anyone that makes a replacement setup for them but they are a mauser action so I am sure you could find something. If you really want a detachable mag, buy another gun like an Xbolt, that Browning Safari is too nice to mess with.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:20 AM

I am struggling with the classic gun vrs the more practical clip. You will notice I don't want to alter the stock which is my starting spot. Yes its a classic gun but it is still a hunting rifle to me. I am tired of dropping shells on the ground...
Old 12-22-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhunter1 View Post
I am struggling with the classic gun vrs the more practical clip. You will notice I don't want to alter the stock which is my starting spot. Yes its a classic gun but it is still a hunting rifle to me. I am tired of dropping shells on the ground...

Two big issues with magazines, if you lose or forget it, you have a single shot. Feeding from them is not as 100% reliable as it is from your existing setup. Dropping shells on the ground is a matter of focus and practice. I have shot hinged floor plates and no floor plates for many years, as well as magazine fed rifles. Most of the time when I empty a hinged floor plate I just push the cartridge forward with the bolt till it pops up and remove them one at a time. I don't fully close the bolt on them to do this. Same as emptying one with no floor plate.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhunter1 View Post
Go buy a 783 Rem or a Savage if you want practical.
This rifle is damned near irreplaceable, sell it if you don’t like it. You’ll get a good chunk of change for it.

Detachable mags are way over rated, as Dean laid out.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-22-2020, 12:18 PM

I don't have the breadth or depth of experience that the preceding posters do but thought to submit my humble opinion anyway.

I've had both types of rifle but currently only own the detachable magazine/clip types in centrefires. I would convert them to floor-plate if I could.

The drawbacks of a detachable clip/magazine far outweigh the few advantages as far as I am concerned.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:27 PM

I do get the hinges plate vrs magazine piece. I have owned this gun for over 40 years so it’s not going anywhere but to one of my sons when I am done. I have hunted with it extensively so it’s not a safe queen. As to clips my go to is a Tikka T3 and I like the clip. The Browning kicks more than the T3 due to its lightness and design and it’s not as accurate but it’s a sweet gun. As for practice with unloading.... yes done lots but on a rainy cold day on the coast the odd bullet finds the ground. Hands not as good as they used to be.