Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

Default Any bass "Pros" out there?

I'm out with my son trying to catch a bass but nothings takin the bait. We tried copper rapelas and spoons and all they did was follow. Any tips on making them hit?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I'm out with my son trying to catch a bass but nothings takin the bait. We tried copper rapelas and spoons and all they did was follow. Any tips on making them hit?
use topwater frogs and crayfish imatations close to thick cover and close to the shoreline
Old 08-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
use topwater frogs and crayfish imatations close to thick cover and close to the shoreline
I don't have any imitation baits like that with me, but I can catch some live crawfish here. Would that work?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I'm out with my son trying to catch a bass ...
Just out of curiosity, where are you fishing for bass?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I don't have any imitation baits like that with me, but I can catch some live crawfish here. Would that work?
Pretty sure it's against the provincewide regulations to possess live crawfish, or use them as bait.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Just out of curiosity, where are you fishing for bass?
I'm at kikomun creek pp in BC, there is a little lake in the camp ground that has bass and a couple km's away is baynes lake which also has bass.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:52 PM

go pick up a yellow bass poper at wallyworld for 4 bucks and cast it right beside the bank twitch and wait. its a sure thing theyll go after a imatation just as much if not faster then a worm.
a black minster twister works too mty buddy said after windermere lake
Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishlessFool View Post
Pretty sure it's against the provincewide regulations to possess live crawfish, or use them as bait.
I was just fishing on surveyors lake and got checked out by f&w for a license and asked him about the regs and he was absolutely clueless. He didn't know if I could fish with barbs, treble hooks, or bait. All he wanted to see was my license.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 PM

well your deffinity not allowed barbs thats all i know some lakes have other restrictions
Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
well your deffinity not allowed barbs thats all i know some lakes have other restrictions
He didn't even check my hook, license please, thank you very much, then on his way.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
He didn't even check my hook, license please, thank you very much, then on his way.
lol Btw did you manage to get any?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
lol Btw did you manage to get any?
Lost two, never set the hook like Babe Winkleman I guess.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Lost two, never set the hook like Babe Winkleman I guess.
lol you dont need to set the hook like a god only if your using weedguards
Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Use a streamer like a "Zonker" and slow your presentation down. These fish are small. Put the Len Thompson's away. You can also use a floating lure like a Heddon Torpedo. Trust me. I caught over a hundred bass last week where you are. Yes, you can use barbed hooks in Surveyors and Baynes. Don't do it in flowing water and trout lakes. They are barbless and some are single hook only. If you have time, go to the Jaffray Hardware off Hwy 3. They will have the streamers and lures you need.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulee View Post
Use a streamer like a "Zonker" and slow your presentation down. These fish are small. Put the Len Thompson's away. You can also use a floating lure like a Heddon Torpedo. Trust me. I caught over a hundred bass last week where you are. Yes, you can use barbed hooks in Surveyors and Baynes. Don't do it in flowing water and trout lakes. They are barbless and some are single hook only. If you have time, go to the Jaffray Hardware off Hwy 3. They will have the streamers and lures you need.
i had no idea you could use barbs in some parts of BC. bass will eat just about anything they can fit in there mouths.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:01 PM

bc is only barbless in some rivers and streams , not every lake .

First thing everyone says when it comes to bass is topwater... that can be hit or miss depending on alot of things . Early morning is great for top water but after you cant go wrong throwing senkos into docks , brush piles , weedlines etc ...
Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Back in Ontario,I generally had good success with Rattlin' Raps.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM

bass wont eat everything , they can get pretty difficult to catch when lakes receive pressure , and a number of variables can effect that.

They arent pike ...
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 PM

get some jigs and some rubber grubs, the bass will eat them pretty much all the time, they are spooky in those lakes, dont let them see you when you are casting. there are some big ones down deep in Surveyors but you would have a hard time getting through the smaller ones to get to them.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszomola View Post
bc is only barbless in some rivers and streams , not every lake .

First thing everyone says when it comes to bass is topwater... that can be hit or miss depending on alot of things . Early morning is great for top water but after you cant go wrong throwing senkos into docks , brush piles , weedlines etc ...
i havent had hit a hit or miss day with topwaters. iv landed the biggest bass(2) of my life on popers and landed bass in BC with them. i havent got any bass subsurface yet.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

Throw a white big-o and yellow beetle spin in to the mix
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

I used to do allot of bass fishing in Quebec & Ontario. My favorite time was in the evening when the water got calm and they started coming up for bugs. Throw a top water lure like a popper or torpedo where they are rising along the weeds/lily pads and let it sit for a few seconds. If the bass doesn't hit then just jig it a couple of times to disturb the water and entice the it. Repeat as required. During the day you can throw a jig under piers, lily pads, overhanging trees, etc where it's shaded. My daughter caught lots with just a hook and a worm over the side of the boat. Bass are pretty aggressive and allot of fun to catch.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I'm at kikomun creek pp in BC, there is a little lake in the camp ground that has bass and a couple km's away is baynes lake which also has bass.
Don't know what regs are now for bait but I killed em in there years ago drop shotting with good old worms on single hooks!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM

spinners work good find holes in the weeds and flip into the holes bass love that any top water lures frogs jitterbugs flip and cast look for logs in the water or weeds any structre docks
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM

I was catching smallmouth bass at lake of the woods a week ago they were loving my jointed pike rapala trolling around rocky islands i was also catching them in about 5 feet of water on a jig tipped with gulp yellow minnows. largemouth bass love top waters try a super bass frog. i was also catching white bass and fresh water drum (silver bass) on spoons, small white baitfish immitations (rapalas) and pickerel rigs tipped with minnows good luck man!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM

Default The secret lure is....

I have fished that pond before when I was younger. We slayed them on Panther Martins just buy the yellow body with the silver blade and you should have no problems catching them. You can try any color combos out they will all work well in that pond. We probably caught close to 100 on them last time I was out there. The highlight for me fishing that pond was seeing a huge bass that would hang out by a dead tree in the water. I finally managed to catch him and he was close to six pounds! I caught him on a small silver spoon with a bend in it, I think it may have been a Little Cleo but I cant remember the exact make.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Default Update

Well I took the boy to baynes lake this morning, turns out it wasn't the lure but rather the lake. We nailed them today! Atleast 50-60 each, hooking up on more casts than we missed. We were using an orange and yellow power grub with an orange head. Went through an entire package of power grubs in about 2hrs. Only caught 3 keepers but we had a blast!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM

Default try this

I fish some competitve smallmouth events here in ontario regularly and do quite well. The simplest thing to do is throw a weightless stick worm, rigged wacky or texas, and do nothing. Let it sink and just sit on bottom for as long as you can stand. Most of the time, if there are any bass around that have probably never seen this before, your worm won't get to bottom.

Keep an eye on the water temp if you can, it is the most important IMO. They will start getting active in the low 50's, smash anything in the shallows through the 60's. Once surface temp gets into the 70's start looking for a little deeper water, or 6-10ft flats with deep water close by.

Topwaters are a lot of fun, but I'll usually use a worm, tube, or other type of light jig if there are numbers of fish just because you can get into a lot more fish because your not fighting with a mouth full of treble hooks.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM

Plain rubber worms like mr twisters will catch you Bass, sometimes its the simpler things that work, weight it only enough to cast it.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschallock View Post
I fish some competitve smallmouth events here in ontario regularly and do quite well. The simplest thing to do is throw a weightless stick worm, rigged wacky or texas, and do nothing. Let it sink and just sit on bottom for as long as you can stand. Most of the time, if there are any bass around that have probably never seen this before, your worm won't get to bottom.
I will second this.
Texas rigged 5" and 6" worms work the most consistantly. Black w/ red sparkles and pumpkinseed colors are my personal favorite.

Ive bass fished Lake Windermere in BC the last couple summers and did very well for largemouths on texas rigs in 3-6' of water around lily pads and docks.