Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2020, 11:33 AM

Default tail light full of water

Noticed when looking at the lens that my tailight was filled about 1/3 full of water. 2017 Ford F150.

Strange, since the only source of significant water would have been a car wash I did about a week ago.

Never had this happen before.

So, using a tiny drill bit, I drilled out one hole for air and second for water (at the bottom of the plastic lens housing - couldn't believe that water that came out - it was a tiny garden hose spraying out a couple feet - maybe a liter of water there.

Anyone ever have this happen before?

I think I'm going to leave the holes there, because I'm not sure where it's coming from, and at least it will drain. Not sure if that a good idea or not, bit the lights work fine.

The entire back up light was submerged (the clear white bottom part) and it still works.

If it continues to work, there is no need to replace the probably $200+ tail light assembly is there?
Old 05-03-2020, 11:39 AM

The pressure in car washes is really very high. I have seem car paint and decals, moldings and the like damaged by the pressure. I would pull the tail light out and look for a break in the seal and silicone that shut. There is no way condensation put that much water in there so it is clearly coming in from the outside. Only issue with leaving holes is you will get dust inside the lens, which is very hard to get rid of and will eventually dull your lights a lot.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:09 PM

Good call, I will pull it off and have a look - bit I'm pretty sure the bulbs are on those sockets at the back which are twist in, and those are definitely not water or air tight.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Good call, I will pull it off and have a look - bit I'm pretty sure the bulbs are on those sockets at the back which are twist in, and those are definitely not water or air tight.
I doubt it is coming in from the back side. I have never seen one of the twist in let water in unless I went through a real deep creek crossing and even then, most are pretty well grommet sealed. Most I have resealed it was a crack in the lens itself or the seal was shot where the lens joins the actual housing.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:25 PM

Silicone any holes you made or breaks in the seal you find and hope a few hot days evaporates any moisture left in. I bet you have a separated seam on the housing/lens.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:32 PM

You have a blinker fluid leak.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:43 PM

An errant stone may have flew up and cracked the housing from the back side .
Old 05-03-2020, 12:59 PM

Just pulled it off. No damage to the plastic shroud. No evidence of any seal failure anywhere. Only penetration is through sockets where bulbs come in - it's a mystery.

The back side is guarded by the body panels and front he side where the tail gate comes up.

Got some condensation in the inside of the lens now - will let that dry out and maybe keep an eye on it I guess. The hole I drilled are the size of a finish nail - so I'm hoping they will circulate enough air in there for now.

I will decide what to do from there - absolutely a mystery.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Ah .... the famous service upgrade targeting wives when they go to one of those quick lube places ...... that and the muffler filter and flush.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Ah .... the famous service upgrade targeting wives when they go to one of those quick lube places ...... that and the muffler filter and flush.
They only sell those to Ford owners.

Grizz
Old 05-03-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post

Dodger.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:12 PM

Tail light cover should be fine but I highly recommend replacing everything around it to prevent further issues
Old 05-03-2020, 04:43 PM

Had the same problem with my 2016, good till last fall and suddenly full of water, burned out the bulb. Brought it to the attention of the local dealer and it got replaced under warranty .
Old 05-03-2020, 06:28 PM

Same thing happened on my 2016 F150
Drilled a hole and carried on
Old 05-03-2020, 06:37 PM

My buddy just had his 2017 f150 start acting up. Doing crazy electrical stuff messing with the temperature settings and all kinds of things. They where about to replace the board behind the screen and then they found the tail light was cracked and had some water in there causing the issue. Turns out each tail light has a module in there and water was causing issues with the computer. Tail lights was 2500 bucks I think he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk