Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Default great season turned to hell

I have just had a pretty terrible outcome after meeting with a Conservation Officer myself.
Please bear with me.. its a long one.

Im a new resident to Saskatchewan as of this year, and had missed the opportunity to apply for any of the draws this year, so its been a general tag kind of first season as a Saskatchewan resident. Ive been coming here since ’16 as a non resident, hunting Ducks and Geese. And I figured why not become a full time resident in waterfowls paradise. So I did, and I am.
Having been disabled (8 fractured vertebrae) has me pretty darn lamed up most of the time now, such is life. I figured it will be a good opportunity to test myself and see if I still have the capability to hunt(unfortunately I can no longer pull a string like I used too) so Rifle/Shotgun/ and or muzzleloader it is, for me.. at this time.
Anyhow.. long story short… I screwed up pretty bad, I guess.. I realized that elk season here for the general tag people like myself at this one zone I was interested in was from Sept 15-30th.. and by the time I realized and planned my rather hasty departure(hurried) to go find some land that I may secure permission on and hopefully get to hunt elk this year, I did find a beautiful “Elky” area alongside the Bronson Provincial forest. And the farmer and family were so great, allowing a complete stranger to come and camp on their land and hunt it. The last thing they said to me as I was leaving the farmhouse after receiving permission to set up camp and be welcomed to hunt there, I was over joyed at the friendliness.
They said “Shoot every Coyote, wolf, and bear you see!” “Ive lost something like 12 cows and up to 30 calves ….”
I though You betya I will help out, although I figured bear was out of the question for me as I would most def need a tag for them, which ive bought before as an Albertan in Alberta. And never thought of it after that, as it was normal for landowners/farmers to say/request that. About shooting coyotes etc.

It was beautiful althought by the second day I had come to the conclusion that the elk weren’t there at the time, nor any time recently. (Zero sign)I thought of moving on.. then I had an epiphany…I thought this place is beautiful, I have permission and I said to myself..

“self, don’t leave fish, to find fish!” (A metaphor used when flyfishing or any other type of fishing) I used it the same way in my mind.

Wether or not I see elk this is a personal challenge to see if I may continue to chase my dreams, or if I am going to continue to be left in the position ive been in and “live adventures vicariously through my laptop screen(YouTube vids) and or TV. I said to myself “Elk to no elk, this is going to be the greatest time of my life in the past 8 years! Ruffed grouse for breakfast and dinner, for a few days prior to my restraint on the population of ruffles in the area. I didn’t want to thin them out too much. And I didn’t. But dang, where are the Elk?!” Was hearing coyotes and what I thought would be wolves a few times.. and trailed by what I figure was a cougar on my first night camped out in the area.(due to hearing snarls/hissing and growls across the wee road from me by the time I arrived back to my trailer. I know it wouldn’t be a bobcat or lynx! I had my back up ever since, and would have a loaded firearm within reach at all times. Growing up I always felt if I wouldn’t go into bear country without a firearm for protection then I didn’t belong there at all! Now that im older, I like to think im wiser too!

So I spent the next week and a half just living it up, enjoying life.. observing smaller whitetail bucks come and spar out in front of me while standing my vigil in the permanent blind in the area. And then spending the rest of the morning and or afternoon exploring and checking their other sections for sign of Elk etc.. I would set up my Ameristep in random sections of theirs depending on the day, and the sign, and or just plain how I felt for that day lol.

On about the 27th or 28th of September I started to get a little “ansy” and was really getting a hankering for some elk backstraps etc.. I absolutely love Elk meat and its been so long. I decided that I was going to move and drive around to approach the forest from the south side and look for sign and hopefully intercept a bull within the last few days, the grind was on. So I moved everything (my trailer) down closer to the road while I figure out what my next step is going to be. Do I move and start all over, or do I continue this vigil hoping that elk will show up in the last days of the season.

I would go to a section that I was camped out about 1.2km away from along a “corridor” old road leading through the forest to this section which is mostly bare, and a quarter of it still in trees. Where a hundred or so head of cattle where feeding in since prior to my arrival. One day I had rtf run to town (Lloydminster) for something or other and the farmers opened thew gates too allow the cattle to trickle down the “corridor” road to another of their Sections. It was very nice of them to move the animals while I was away. So thoughtful really. And when I returned I decided to go have a look in the field to check for sign in the southern edge of the field. As that’s where the cows hung out most of the time up to that point I had just left them be, so as not to create a scene with cows all around me while trying to hunt, lol. So as I went to go to the southern edge of the now vacant field I could see a carcass and a black looking coyote(very small for a yote tho) run from the carcass approx 150y to the closest fence. I chose to drive back out of the field, park, and return to the carcass with my rifle. So I did.. and dint see the “coyote” again, just tons of ravens and an eagle. I checked out the carcass and it was very fresh, fresh as in it happened the night before. Tons of tracks and blood etc on the ground. So now I had a secondary objective.. kill coyotes for the farmer!

It was the morning of my moving, I was still up in back (where I had been camped out for nearly two weeks.. woke up at 4am.. was in my trailer having coffee and rising slowly to get dressed and hit the trail by 5am and be in the blind by 5:30am.. and while I was lying there in bed trying to come alive.. I heard rapid barking right outside my trailer, it was deep and guttural barking.. like a big ole dog.. but this was not a dog.. this I knew had to be a wolf.. but I didn’t know they would bark like a dog, but why not I suppose huh.. way to deep to be a coyote(which ive hunted all of my life when the opportunity arises) and too far away from any residence to be a domestic or feral doggie! I figured.. I could hear him while he(or she) ran back down the “corridor” to the field that the beef carcass was in. I could tell when he was facing away(west) and when he faced my way(east of the field) by the volume and I could just tell. I figured he was either giving me hell for being there, or that he had JUST found this carcass and was telling his entire pack “hey I found some food!”
To this day I figure it was the first.. that he (or she) was walking down the “corridor” road and when came up upon my truck and trailer it surprised him and he was giving me a what for, for being there!

So now the hair on the back of my neck was standing straight out by this time, lol.
I decided to go for a morning elk hunt when I finished my coffee. … no elk.. now its time to move, so I packed up and drove the trailer closer to the road. And decided ill take one last look over the carcass and sit there and wait for a coyote or something to come along and have some dinner, and harvest one so I may “pay some dues” to the extremely hospitable farmer. And hope to be able to do it again next year, perhaps.

As I arrived back at the field, I decided to walk in on the field until I reached the bottom of a “nole” in the field.. where I could look over the top and see if there may be a coyote at the carcass.. there was! And a possible second one inside the rib cage and with tail sticking out.. maybe.. among a tonne of ravens and crows… but I knew for sure there was at least one coyote there!
So to close the distance I backed up and went outside of the fence, I followed a game trail on the outside of the fence about 5 yards from the fence(game trail runs parallel to the fence.. about 5 metres from the fence).. checking my wind every couple of minutes it was perfectly in my face, and also checking to see if the coyote or two were still there, it was.. I had reached a cluster of branches that I placed on the trail the day before(when I found the carcass) the branches were to tell me that I was now within 150 yards of the carcass. And that was good to go to the fence carefully and quietly to take a potential shot!
As I turned to the fence I was super surprised to see that a coyote was right there! Coming my way, from the carcass.. he was leaving the field as I was approaching it at almost exactly where I was crawling too! He or she walked right by me at 20’. Twenty feet away from me! And didn’t even look at me as he did it. I was fumbling with my rifle in a panic to try and line him up, but when didn’t look at me I found it rather “*****” and just let him continue on, I couldn’t believe it! So I figured well heck, lets have a look to see if there is another one still on the carcass.. I leaned against a tree and looked/scanned the carcass with my scope(only because I was going to take the shot if there was) and as I raised my head from the buttstock after not seeing anything more than ravens. In my peripheral vision on my left(right handed shooter) just post where the coyote came off of the field I could see a grey and white blob heading into the field(just to me left!)((literally like 7 or 8 yards to my left)) then a second one, a third.. fourth, fifth, sixth.., holy smokes there is a wolf! I thought.. two, no three.. holy crap four five six.. I stopped counting at 11 and 12.. and they were pouring into the field to my left at about 8 yards to my left(holy smokes this is why that coyote beat the feet, he could smell them coming!)
So now I have a dozen wolves confirmed and still pouring into the field, 8 yards to my lefthand as they were pouring into the field a few of them started heading to their north.. which means they where now walking in front of me at about 5 yards going from my left to my right.. as im looking west, into the field and they’re pouring into the field heading west as well… only im still standing behind the fence that they’ve just ducked under to get into the field from beside me.., so now im pretty much completely half surrounded by a pack of 17 wolves all with 40 yards of me now, and I said to self “ oh hell no” and I picked the one closest in front of me going from my left to right at 5 yards and let my 7mm rem mag rip! All told I dropped 3 of the wolves as they were all around me for the most part, and I still had some behind me howling at their pack mates after all this noise happened.
Man they didn’t know which way to go, as usually (I figure) any animal that is spooked by something almost always will go back the way they came from, as its “safe” as they just camerawomen from there.. but there I stood!
I was so pumped out of fear, and out of how happy I figured the farmer was going to be with me helping thin the pack out that are predating on her livelihood! Their bottom line. And these wolves were actually coming to feed on the freshest of fresh carcass, to me it only meant one thing, they killed the cow!!! and continued feeding on her!

Well holy smokes, ive never shot a wolf before. I always wanted to hunt therm especially after reading some of “Popcans” stories and adventures on this here forum over the past few years.

I approached the carcass in earnest to harvest a coyote, ended up surrounded by wolves, and harvested 3 of them only because that’s all I could get!

Have you ever been in such a position? I haven’t. A mixture of freaked out/frightened/ excited/ nervous/ and even secure with rifle in my hands.. it was a crazy situation that I had not foreseen. Cripes the last time I saw a wolf was in Rainbow lake, or Banff.. I can’t remember.

So now after feeling the weight of the big male that I hit(alpha) I felt like I needed a little bit of support and I called the Conservation Officers that I had been in touch with over the past couple ofd weeks prior to this(regarding where the elk herd may be etc etc) and after living most of my adult life in Alberta I thought was exactly the same in Sask, where if you want to hunt a wolf.. it has to be a big game season in the zone you’re in, or have landowners permission/blessings to hunt them regarding predation on their herd. So it being Elk season, I knew I was safe, let alone being on private land/predation/being surrounded by an entire pack etc.

Well.. I was wrong! Was I ever wrong.. no, no, and no!

I lost my nerve and couldn’t bring myself to admit what had just happened. I have to digest issues overnight or so.. to sort out, and regroup in my noggin’ how life may be changed all of a sudden. And we got off of the phone. My plan was to call back once I gained the courage to admit guilt. But I had just called fully expecting to receive blessings and was not even fathoming that it would be any different.

Off to the farmers house I went, I told them what the CO said to me, they told me “not to worry, they have my back!” And was so happy, asked me what I was going to do with them, I said id like to skin em, but have only done one coyote since taking the Alberta Trapping Course, and I hacked it up lol, but I still have the hide.. the Grandson of the farmer (in his 30’s) was pretty excited they were all so happy and in disbelief that I nailed three wolves.. “this just doesn’t happen like that” they said, in disbelief.

“Common ill teach you how to skin em, claws in and everything”, I jumped on the opportunity to learn, and he skinned the Alpha(as I didn’t want to hack it up) and I skinned the two smaller females.. removed their heads(for the skulls) and placed them in freezer in quonset.

So I went to bed in my trailer that night wondering what I was going to do and I don’t have the CO’s cell number, man I can’t sleep now, this sucks!

I woke up in the morning and decided to go back to the permanent blind.. so I did. I ended up connecting with a spiker bull elk by 8am and figured well this is the first elk ive seen all season(must be as there were too many predators around, I get it now! Holy smokes that was fast for the elk to show up after re arranging the local wolf pack. Wow.

Well damn me for using up all of my Hornady hand loaded GMX’s on the wolves.. and left with SST’s which I used on the bull elk.

Bad shoulder hit, and spent the rest of the day tracking the elk, lots of blood, extremely cold all of a sudden on that day. And the next morning I resumed trailing the Bull Elk.. all day and when I stopped tracking for the second day I had just ended up going to the farmers house for a coffee and to talk about things ie: the elk, and the wolves.. I drove the mile back to where my trailer was parked about 150m off of the road hidden among an old house and out buildings, and a new house a daughter and husband where building on the land.

I pulled up beside the trailer and got out of the truck, into the trailer and started my MR HEATER.. buddy heater that I attached to the top of a BBQ’s propane tank, that I used to warm the trailer(with doors open a crack for ventilation etc) once that was burning I jumped back into the warm truck to wait for the trailer to warm up, so I may strip off to my skivvies for bed. I jumped back into the warm truck and while I was there I figured it will be a good time to talk with an old buddy on the phone(over there truck speakers) and we’re talking about the wolves and elk,
next thing I know the pitch black area went all lit up with blue and red lights and simultaneously have an officer rapping on my passenger window demanding for me to “open the door!” “Keep your hands where I can…” I was freaking out..im certainly not used too being raided etc.. “im trying to think of what is smart things to do, man, relax” (as he was saying “are you not going to open the door?” With a tone and a movement like he was threatening to break my window.. as im looking at him, I was frozen stiff! I realized that I had my rifle sitting between the centre console and the passenger seat, between us. And I thought “OMG please don’t tell me that I forgot to unload my rifle…” always having a firearm within arms reach while in “camp” I had forgotten all about my truck being just that, in reality. A truck. And as I unlocked the door for the officer he reached for my rifle and immediately almost involuntarily I reached over and hit the button for the trapdoor magazine(Remington) and three handholds fell out… I couldn’t believe it. I never chamber a round until im about to take a shot, but I totally forgot to unload the magazine when I jumped in the truck after trailing my Bull. Complete and utter stupidity.

He was ****ed about that, I don’t blame him. Im still ****ed at myself for that.

Then the conversation went from “who are you” on both sides (and me saying “I was the guy you were talking to on the phone!” to “why’d you remove your headlamp?” I said “pardon” he said “you where wearing a headlamp, and when the lights came on you removed it, why! Are you night hunting?!” “You’re night hunting aren’t you”?!

“What the hell are you talking about Sir!” “Heck no I wasn’t poaching, forget it!” “I wear a headlamp all the time!” Which I do! Even at work! “Keeps my hands free!”

“What’s all this blood and hair in the back of your truck doing here?”
It hit me, that I hadn’t called him back to tell him about it..

I was so ****ed and freaked out about the entire ordeal I was getting angry, I knew I had to compose myself but I wasn’t very happy, I was in such apposition of being .. what’s the word… violated! Now I don’t have a record, anymore than scrapping at bars as a young lad and crap like that.. so im not used to being treated like a criminal or murderer… but these guys where all about being on the offence and completely violating a person. He’s been a CO for two years he told me! And “a vegan who hates everything hunters stand for”. A very reliable source quoted him as telling her!

“This is deer hair isn’t it?!” I wasn’t going to cooperate with this guy anymore I was mad now, stupidly I said “Coyotes” they were coyotes”!
“What did you do with them” he asked
Im going to CSI this hair and blood samples and if it comes back as Deer..”

I couldn’t figure out what the hell I was doing thinking lying was a good idea, I was just ****ed off at this punk for coming onto private land like this and pulling this **** right before I go to bed, damn I was mad!

I said “I apologize” “they weren’t coyotes they were wolves”

So I told him what happened, we had to retrieve the hides and skulls from the freezer. They’ve got my rifle. Ended up telling me I should have waited for two weeks as I have my fur license and that I could shoot as many wolves as I want on private land! I couldn’t believe he said that.

The Grandma framer said “your not going to charge him for protecting my livestock??” “My grandson shot five of them last summer chasing our dogs and predating on our cows!”
The CO then shifted his attention to her grandson(in his 30’s) and began investigating him and where the carcass’ are.

In the end, he came and gave me a fine for $480 loaded gun in vehicle, and $1,820 for shooting 3 wolves out of season(which could’ve been $1k per wolf but cut me some slack!??!)
And charged the farmers grandson $1,820 for aiding & abetting.

I don’t know what to do, everybody tells me to fight it. Private land, predating, and last but not least… I was surrounded by a pack of wolves all within 5-40 yards.

And to be honest, I would do it again!….what the hell was I supposed too do? Wait until one is latched onto my leg?

I went from the highest ive ever been on life, to extremely low.

And I still can’t believe im in this predicament! I just can’t believe the way they treat us. I used to be all talkative, heck my family are Firemen and Doctors… nobody ever in trouble with the law… and now this crap? My respect has dwindled something awful.. no longer will I give or say ANY more than what’s necessary.
Anyhow that’s my story.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:38 PM

First of all, congrats for killing 3 wolves, I wish you could of got a few more.
Second, get a hold of a lawyer. Call Greg Dunn in Calgary, he has been successful with Wildlife infractions before.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:43 PM

Default Mess

Wow,thats a fine mess you got yourself in--Buttttt loaded gun in vehicle????One shot in the air,the wolves soon miles away.Bite the bullet,lesson learn.The lawyers fees,thousands $$$$.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Banned

Wow rules in sask suck apparently! Lawyer up.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:28 PM

A person needs to learn the regulations in every province that they hunt in. As well, the loaded rifle in a motor vehicle, and at first telling the officer that the hair and blood was from coyotes likely didn't help.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A person needs to learn the regulations in every province that they hunt in. As well, the loaded rifle in a motor vehicle, and at first telling the officer that the hair and blood was from coyotes likely didn't help.
My thoughts as well...
Old 11-05-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Loaded gun in a vehicle is bad news everywhere. No excuse.

Grizz
Old 11-05-2019, 03:43 PM

wow. now that's a campfire story. need a 66'er for that one.

unfortunate lesson. let us know what legal (if you go that route) would suggest.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:49 PM

Did you find the elk? If not it would seem you nailed the trifecta buddy.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Banned

So let me get this straight OP. You shoot three wolves out of season, wound an elk and lose it, have a loaded rifle in your truck and then try lying to the CO?

Funny, then of course the CO is a hippy, vegan who hates hunters. I sure would like to hear his side of the story...

Sounds like you need to study up on the Saskatchewan regulations if you are going to continue to hunt there.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:36 PM

oh yes, study up on regulations for sure! I absolutely agree.. and I did... what I didn't know and what's not in the regs.. was that two years ago..according to the CO.. the outfitters of Sask pushed to have the wolf designated as a big game species, and succeeded.. im not quite sure what he was attempting to say in telling me that. maybe that they were once open season, like the coyote continues to be for residents. or not.. but that's just what he said.

no where can it be found that one cannot do that, not that I found. As a matter of fact.. when I google "Saskatchewan Farmer Shoots Wolf" what you find is the story on CBC about a farmer who was in the same scenario near Glaslyn.. nearly and its hailed online like "hey look at this"! just look, just look you'll find it.

but most of all.... and I'm only going to say this one time!...
when it comes to being in danger of an attack by a wolf, coyote, bear, mountain lion.. or frog. regulations go right out the window! period. like I said.. and heck I would do it again if I had too! Again!

edit: and im certainly not proud of it, but yes Ive owned it. About the shells in the mag.. my bad. I screwed up. will pay the fine and move on with life!

The farmer told me would pay the fine for the wolves too, and will. I have to admit that I don't believe I should be fined for that though, nor lose a years hunting privileges over it. And the farmer shouldn't be fined either. for goodness sake, its not like I "poached" the wolves! if you believe what I did was actually poaching, well.. im sorry... you've misunderstood what ive told you.
and if you 'think' you'd not do attempt to protect yourself while surrounded by a large pack of wolves (not lil bitty coyote's) well then you're a better man than I.

I just shared this so other people wouldn't make the same mistakes that I did make, is all. (ie: forget to empty your rifle upon entering a vehicle or home)

Last edited by Seige; 11-05-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
oh yes, study up on regulations for sure! I absolutely agree.. and I did... what I didn't know and what's not in the regs.. was that two years ago..according to the CO.. the outfitters of Sask pushed to have the wolf designated as a big game species, and succeeded.. im not quite sure what he was attempting to say in telling me that. maybe that they were once open season, like the coyote continues to be for residents. or not.. but that's just what he said.

no where can it be found that one cannot do that, not that I found. As a matter of fact.. when I google "Saskatchewan Farmer Shoots Wolf" what you find is the story on CBC about a farmer who was in the same scenario near Glaslyn.. nearly and its hailed online like "hey look at this"! just look, just look you'll find it.

when it comes to being in danger of an attack by a wolf, coyote, bear, mountain lion.. or frog. regulations go right out the window! period. like I said.. and heck I would do it again if I had too! Again!

edit: and im certainly not proud of it, but yes Ive owned it. About the shells in the mag.. my bad. I screwed up. will pay the fine and move on with life!

The farmer told me would pay the fine for the wolves too, and will. I have to admit that I don't believe I should be fined for that though, nor lose a years hunting privileges over it. And the farmer shouldn't be fined either. for goodness sake, its not like I "poached" the wolves! if you believe what I did was actually poaching, well.. im sorry... you've misunderstood what ive told you.
and if you 'think' you'd not do attempt to protect yourself while surrounded by a large pack of wolves (not lil bitty coyote's) well then you're a better man than I.

I just shared this so other people wouldn't make the same mistakes that I did make, is all. (ie: forget to empty your rifle upon entering a vehicle or home)
I don't get were you were in danger of being attacked or saying this is self defense you said the first wolf you shot was going by left to right so guessing that means broadside not coming at you. Then a few lies throwing in, it all sounds a bit fishy but if true as you say it should be charged.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:02 PM

Default Pretty sure you would have to have claw marks

to claim self defense from wolves (and usually that would be well away from their kill/meal) if they were stalking you. You just intersepted them on the way to eat. Google would likely show attacks from wolves or coyotes are less than a handfull in the past 100 years. You have a better chance of being hit by lightening.

Even in Alberta you had better have claw marks to shoot a bear or cougar in self defense. Sorry you didnt know about the law but there is an assumption in hunting that if you participate you know the laws of the jurisdiction.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
I don't get were you were in danger of being attacked or saying this is self defense
It turned into a self defence situation once he got caught.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:11 PM

It was a long read and may be I miss something....

why did you call the wildlife officer?
Old 11-05-2019, 05:12 PM

I also just wanted to know if you all thought I should fight this or not, don't worry about it, Ill take care of it thanks. I don't know what the hell I was thinking of putting this on here, lol.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:14 PM

Where is Paul Harvey when you really need him?
Old 11-05-2019, 05:15 PM

I don't know if you really need a lawyer with you or not? I have only experience with traffic tickets and it works.

This wildlife thing could be a totally different case.

The fines are few thousands and I would suggest you to go to court and they may reduce the fines.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post
I don't know if you really need a lawyer with you or not? I have only experience with traffic tickets and it works.

This wildlife thing could be a totally different case.

The fines are few thousands and I would suggest you to go to court and they may reduce the fines.
Go to court for what exactly?
Old 11-05-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:

If you look in the Saskatchewan Hunting Guide, it clearly states that wolf s considered big game in Saskatchewan, and it lists the zones, seasons, and bag limit for wolf, as well as the fact that you need a wolf license.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:27 PM

I called right away as the weight of the big one, felt more like a big game animal than a mere coyote or porcupig, and it scared the heck out of me that I had done something I shouldn't have, so out of being an honest bloke I figured enough of the myths and whatnot ill get it from the "horses mouth" the support that I had fully expected receive, which would then allow myself to not5 worry about perhaps, breaking a law.
Which in turn ended up being the absolute last thing I expected, and I froze up couldn't tell him yet
See, I like to do things by the book, as I wouldn't care to be looking over my shoulder all the time. (experiences from younger years and I didn't care for it) so if im not sure, I call and ask the people who can answer.

Ive never imagined being caught in the middle of a pack of 17+ grown wolves in the middle of nowhere. if im worthy of being charged, then ill take my licks. As I planned on it.. but just hearing from so many that I should contest it, for some crazy reason (its clear to me know) I felt it prudent to ask fellow hunters on here what they thought. I didn't smartly anticipate being fried at the stake lol. but its fine. So many armchair profits are Crazy perfect in there own little world. I am certainly regretting posting my experience. its all good.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:29 PM

I just googled the Saskatchewan refs and near the top is the licence fee for wolves ($50)I would have to assume there are also regs concerning when you can hunt them.
Cat
Old 11-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Banned

I just don’t get it. Right from the get go you thought you might be breaking the law somehow and called the CO, all because one of the wolves was really heavy?

Quite the story for sure...
Old 11-05-2019, 05:41 PM

Since you posted I am going to give some advice -
Suck it up like a man, admit your errors, enjoy the fishing and Trap or Skeet for a year, and move on.
Whatever you do, don't take the "shoot them all" prompt from landowners.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I also just wanted to know if you all thought I should fight this or not, don't worry about it, Ill take care of it thanks. I don't know what the hell I was thinking of putting this on here, lol.
Hey, thanks for posting.

As I said before, that is one heck of a yarn.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I called right away as the weight of the big one, felt more like a big game animal than a mere coyote or porcupig, and it scared the heck out of me that I had done something I shouldn't have, so out of being an honest bloke I figured enough of the myths and whatnot ill get it from the "horses mouth" the support that I had fully expected receive, which would then allow myself to not5 worry about perhaps, breaking a law.
Which in turn ended up being the absolute last thing I expected, and I froze up couldn't tell him yet
See, I like to do things by the book, as I wouldn't care to be looking over my shoulder all the time. (experiences from younger years and I didn't care for it) so if im not sure, I call and ask the people who can answer.

Ive never imagined being caught in the middle of a pack of 17+ grown wolves in the middle of nowhere. if im worthy of being charged, then ill take my licks. As I planned on it.. but just hearing from so many that I should contest it, for some crazy reason (its clear to me know) I felt it prudent to ask fellow hunters on here what they thought. I didn't smartly anticipate being fried at the stake lol. but its fine. So many armchair profits are Crazy perfect in there own little world. I am certainly regretting posting my experience. its all good.
The fact that you had a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, and that you shot wolves out of season, without a license, and then lied to the officer, would seem to indicate that you really don't do things by the book.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:55 PM

oh for christ sakes people... I wasn't hunting wolves, I was after a coyote that was on the carcass. as per the reason for my approach.

to end up being surrounded by wolves from my six oclock to nine o'clock, and out front from nine to twelve, and they had curled to my right going from 12- 3oclock. that's what I mean as being surrounded.. my 3-6 o'clock was open as far as I knew.. yet having them in front of me at 5 yards.. and stretched out to forty yards in front of me..

its kinda like this ... go place your goose decoy at 12 o'clock out in front of you at forty yards.. now sprinkle 17(only the ones that you can see) fully grown wolves between you and the decoy the closest one a 5 yards.. originally going away, to end up curling all around .. and hold your nerve.

you can say whatever you want on your laptop, but you know as well as I do. its not the same.

so with that in my mind, plus the fact that they were feeding on a cow they had JUST killed the night before (with the carcass out in front of me) it was half panic, half passion (about taking out livestock predators caught red handed).. I didn't feel anything wrong with what I did. I was wrong about that..(taking out wolves as they predate on livestock) and also I guess im learning how foolish I was to think I had anything to worry about being among at least a ton of weight in wild canines, lol. its funny the night or two prior to that I was reading some 1986 Saskatchewan regs while reading before sleep time and on the front or back cover there was a warning claiming to watch out for wolves, as they attack people.. being fairly fresh in my mind. but hey.. wolves are not known to attack man. right

oh! and one thing I should mention.. I am one who can certainly handle myself in most any circumstance physically when it comes to us, but it I certainly felt very small and perhaps tasty as all get out, when I found myself among large wild dogs.. and like I said.. if you would have done any less than I, and just fired a shot in the air hoping they would scramble, or none at all.. and snuck out.. then I commend you, and you're a better man than I.

I chose to exit that predicament that I found myself in, the quickest and most effective way I knew how, at the moment. if that makes me a lesser, or a bad person.. then im a terrible heinous person who needs to suffer for the crimes ive committed (and would do again!) for goodness sakes
Old 11-05-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
oh for christ sakes people... I wasn't hunting wolves, I was after a coyote that was on the carcass. as per the reason for my approach.

to end up being surrounded by wolves from my six oclock to nine o'clock, and out front from nine to twelve, and they had curled to my right going from 12- 3oclock. that's what I mean as being surrounded.. my 3-6 o'clock was open as far as I knew.. yet having them in front of me at 5 yards.. and stretched out to forty yards in front of me..

its kinda like this ... go place your goose decoy at 12 o'clock out in front of you at forty yards.. now sprinkle 17(only the ones that you can see) fully grown wolves between you and the decoy the closest one a 5 yards.. originally going away, to end up curling all around .. and hold your nerve.

you can say whatever you want on your laptop, but you know as well as I do. its not the same.

so with that in my mind, plus the fact that they were feeding on a cow they had JUST killed the night before (with the carcass out in front of me) it was half panic, half passion (about taking out livestock predators caught red handed).. I didn't feel anything wrong with what I did. I was wrong about that..(taking out wolves as they predate on livestock) and also I guess im learning how foolish I was to think I had anything to worry about being among at least a ton of weight in wild canines, lol. its funny the night or two prior to that I was reading some 1986 Saskatchewan regs while reading before sleep time and on the front or back cover there was a warning claiming to watch out for wolves, as they attack people.. being fairly fresh in my mind. but hey.. wolves are not known to attack man. right

oh! and one thing I should mention.. I am one who can certainly handle myself in most any circumstance physically when it comes to us, but it I certainly felt very small and perhaps tasty as all get out, when I found myself among large wild dogs.. and like I said.. if you would have done any less than I, and just fired a shot in the air hoping they would scramble, or none at all.. and snuck out.. then I commend you, and you're a better man than I.

I chose to exit that predicament that I found myself in, the quickest and most effective way I knew how, at the moment. if that makes me a lesser, or a bad person.. then im a terrible heinous person who needs to suffer for the crimes ive committed (and would do again!) for goodness sakes
If you didn't feel that you did anything wrong, why did you not tell the officer that you shot three wolves when you called? Why did you lie to the officer, and tell him that the hair and blood were from coyotes?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
If you didn't feel that you did anything wrong, why did you not tell the officer that you shot three wolves when you called? Why did you lie to the officer, and tell him that the hair and blood were from coyotes?
Just re read it, maybe you’ll spot it, if not.. just keep the reading until you do, k
Old 11-05-2019, 06:09 PM

This is just sounding fisher by ever post from the OP again if any of it is true charge him to the fullest for he keeps saying he would do it again. Sounds like he didn't even look at the regs.