Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-03-2023, 10:13 AM

Default Opening Day Success

Well, this year I had no draws and lots of time this fall so I decided I was going to focus on Elk and Whitetails. I picked up a new Mystery Ranch pack with plans to do a bunch of hang and hunts, and really get into chasing the whitetails.

Opening day changed how the season will play out! In the morning my son and I went to an Elk spot and ended up calling in a spiker to 50. It was super awesome.

In the evening I went to a tree stand we have had setup for years but never had success from. No one has even looked at the stand or walked in this field for a year. I got to the stand and the deer trails looked awesome in the fields.

I got settled in early, hung my bow and started playing on my phone. At about 7:20 I hear a noise, look down and 2 Velvet bucks are on the trail to me and the bigger one out front has made me in the tree stand. He’s a sweet 4x4 and one I would pass on the first day never mind the last, so I decide to go for it. I don’t even have my bow in my hand at this point so it feels impossible I’ll pull it off.

Figuring my odds were low, and believing that a buck can see your soul through your eyes lol, I just closed my eyes and kept them closed for a couple minutes. When I heard a noise, I opened them and looked down to see the deer feeding and looking away. In that moment, I grabbed my bow and left my hand on it. He looked up, and once again I had to remain motionless, with my eyes closed for a minute or two. I slowly opened one eye to see that he was looking away, so I pulled my bow into position clipped on, drew it back, and then he walked forward, so a tree was blocking him. At this point I was at full draw and had to remain at full draw for what seemed like forever, until he finally took a couple steps into the only 2 foot opening between two trees that I had. I made the shot and just like that my season was over on the first. It was awesome but also a little bittersweet. I guess now I can focus on elk.

I have to stay there is nothing like a velvet deer. I’ll never forget this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (265.6 KB, 665 views)
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (150.9 KB, 677 views)
Old 09-04-2023, 09:35 AM

Awesome 501!! Looks like a great deer and thanks for sharing!!

Good luck chasing elk now!

DR
Old 09-11-2023, 04:15 PM

Congrats!!
Old 09-11-2023, 06:09 PM

Congrats 501! Looks like a great buck
Old 09-27-2023, 08:47 AM

Very cool! Congratulations!

I know what you mean about that look... It feels like they see right into you...
Old 09-27-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I know what you mean about that look... It feels like they see right into you...
I don't know how else to explain it, but I've blown many an opportunity by looking directly into their eyes. To me this is a key for bowhunting.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:06 AM

I figured I'd post up a couple close up shots of the unique "White" velvet on this buck. I have never seen this before. The Velvet wasn't dead or falling off, it has a very unique white streak.

This will be my first Velvet Euro, I used a product called Velvalock on the antlers. I will post back once I complete it.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:28 PM

Whoah, that's super cool 501! Never seen anything like that either - that's a special buck right there.

J
Old 10-21-2023, 02:06 PM

That's cool! Never seen that on velvet either. Congrats on a nice buck. I've always wanted to kill something on opening day. So far nada.

Your absolutely right about eye contact. Especially more mature whitetails. I look to the side of them until a shot is eminent.

Well done!