Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2015, 02:18 PM

Default Why is icefishing fun?

Can someone explain to me why ice fishing is exciting and relaxing?

I've been thinking of getting in to it but I'm curious how everyone else feels.

I just want to relax for once.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post

Same answer as to why is fishing fun and it is even far less expensive (if you want that is)
Old 11-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Set out a tip up, sit in your shack, heater going, beers flowing, sight fishing. It's fun to watch the fish come in and take the hook
Old 11-26-2015, 02:37 PM

Sight fishing at its best. Super fun. Just target the right species at the right time. Love it!!!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:48 PM

Sight fishing.

Enjoying the outdoors in winter.

More social than open water fishing.

Great for people who do not have boats, to access spots they could only access in open water with one.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:59 PM

I prefer ice fishing over summer. Going to go 1 st week of December, busy this Saturday otherwise I would be going.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:10 PM

1. Beer stays cold
2. Easy to get away from crowds
3. Separates the men from the boys (women from girls)
4. Don't get a sunburn
5. No Mosquitos
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 11-26-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Set out a tip up, sit in your shack, heater going, beers flowing, sight fishing. It's fun to watch the fish come in and take the hook
you said it best....as long as you have the comforts of the tent and heater
Old 11-26-2015, 04:32 PM

It isn't really 'fun'.
It's just 'making the best of a bad situation' -that's called 'Winter'.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:54 PM

Because not fishing for 4-6 months would suck!!
Old 11-26-2015, 05:47 PM

The whole body of water is accessible without a boat. It can be a lot of work searching for and chasing fish but once you find them, it becomes very rewarding. I personally don't find it very relaxing because I'm the type that gets up at 3am to drive 3-4 hours and then fish hard for 8 hours constantly moving around in search of the little bastards. Then drive home and get back at 10pm. Everything frozen C!#% stiff, body aching, fish to fillet the next day. Bank account a little lighter. But I love it and will continue to do it because I love fishing...
Old 11-26-2015, 05:49 PM

Og Dumi has it!!!!, try it, you will soon go broke
Old 11-26-2015, 06:01 PM

There isn't much better then first ice. Full adrenaline rush when you have a large fish on and you can watch the fight happening under the ice. I can compare this to the first flock of geese coming into decoy fully cupped and locked in.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post

Try targeting whitefish. I'm a flyfisher like you and look so forwards to that first trip on the river. It is pretty equal for me ice fishing for whites. I sight fish for them and can't get enough. Challenging too. Throw in electronics like an underwater cam and you can catch but more watch and learn how fish react. It is a unique experience.

And, ice fishing is a very social sport. As much as I strive to find that "quiet" place on the river, I look forwards to shootin the bull with buddies on the ice. Stuff like "big fish coming your way!!". ...."Oh ya, I see it! I got it, I got it"....back to me "you $#$%ing bas$%d"....
Stuff like that

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 11-26-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
The whole body of water is accessible without a boat. It can be a lot of work searching for and chasing fish but once you find them, it becomes very rewarding. I personally don't find it very relaxing because I'm the type that gets up at 3am to drive 3-4 hours and then fish hard for 8 hours constantly moving around in search of the little bastards. Then drive home and get back at 10pm. Everything frozen C!#% stiff, body aching, fish to fillet the next day. Bank account a little lighter. But I love it and will continue to do it because I love fishing...
X2.....exactly what I was thinking too, and i like coming back in the winter to new spots I may have scouted out in the summer as potential ice spots or to spots that are accessible only in the winter and that constantly gives me something to look forward to. For many species, the largest fish of the year become accessible in the winter months and hey, never a line up at the boat launch!!! My love and addiction for fishing for virtually anything doesn't allow me to take seasons off, I have to keep going. I figure someday i won't be able to fish so until then I'm going to get me as much of it as I can!!!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 PM

and nothing like catching a 20lb pike through 2 ft of ice, in 1 ft of water!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:47 PM

Love dropping my marcum down and seeing the waterworld underneath...Pike sitting there waiting to strike...Ice fishing is the Cat's behind..LOL
Old 11-26-2015, 09:58 PM

For me it's getting up super early like 4:00am and having all my gear ready from night before sitting by the front door neatly piled up waiting for me like a loyal dog wanting to go outside. I'm so 3 cited I'm lucky if I can sleep all the way through to hear my alarm. With a quick stop at my McDonalds for a xl coffee I'm soon on the road to the lake for the best part, watching the sun crest over the trees to say good morning. Then all that's left to do is grab a pail and sit down with a perfect hot coffee in my thermos and get my line in the water. To me that feeling I get in those moments bests all my summer trips and is what I look forward to every year more than anything else
Old 11-26-2015, 10:12 PM

No matter what lake I go to, whatever species I target, whether I am sitting in my tent or just in the open on a nice day I always meet great people.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:58 AM

Seeing a 10 lb pike take your perch hook on 4 lb test line. = priceless !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Seeing a 10 lb pike take your perch hook on 4 lb test line. = priceless !
Yes! Especially on a hand line.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:39 AM

Thumbs up ice fishing

You know, for me its a great time out with my daughter. Just being out and enjoying the scenery. The good fishing is just the icing on the cake.

Spawn.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post
Yes! Especially on a hand line.
HAHAHA still scares me to this day
Old 11-27-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
You know, for me its a great time out with my daughter. Just being out and enjoying the scenery. The good fishing is just the icing on the cake.

Spawn.
x2

This winter we will have our new Dog with us, and are looking forward to creating some memories and special times for both of us. Just last night she was talking about some of the times we went last winter, and can't wait to catch a Burbot again.

BW
Old 11-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Memories...

Took my wife and little girl out in February to catch her first jackfish. Got the girl set up in the tent, was setting up the wife when the kid caught one... Helped her out, she was proud. She wanted a picture. Was holding it up for her big grin, photo snapped, immediately thereafter the jackfish started the flopping thing in my hand, and she got a tail full of jackfish slime across the face.

But the picture! Shows a lot of pride in that girls face!

She didn't think it was so great post sliming though. She lasted three hours in total. I asked her if she'd go fishing with me on the ice again in a few weeks.

"Welp Dad... I'm just not a fishing girl yet..."

Sigh.

She promises to get into it when she gets older. Hope so... Her mom doesn't like fishing that much.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:34 PM

It is awesome to read all the replies. Its obvious that ice fishing and fishing in general means different things to different people. For some its getting together to share time with friends and family without the distraction of phones and computers. For others it can be the opposite, where the solitude and peacefulness of a winter day with beautiful surroundings can bring a smile to your face. (ok..I'm getting a little corny). And again for others it can be the thrill and competitiveness of the fishing itself. Nothing makes me want to come back to a lake more than getting skunked when I know there are fish there to be caught.
I'm sure there are 100's of other scenarios that draw folks out of there warm, comfy homes to get outside and drop a line down a hole. I know for myself, it doesn't matter how often I have been out, I still look forward to the next trip, no matter when and where it might be.

And just to be totally mushy, I think it great to have a forum like this to share your experiences on. It just adds a bit of spice to fishing, even with the odd bit of minor grumblings we get from time to time, which in the grand scheme of things is pretty minor.
OK, enough of my babbling, good luck fishing, have fun and stay safe.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:51 AM

Getting blacked out and catching a whole bunch of fish
Old 11-28-2015, 01:09 AM

If you don't own a boat, summer fishing can be a bit limited, but with ice fishing you can go anywhere on the lake you are willing to drive to or walk to. Plus for me, I don't snowboard or ski or skate, so ice fishing gets me outdoors in winter. And if you sight-fish, there's nothing quite like watching a fish cruise in and examine your bait or wireworm... waiting, waiting, until the second it tastes your offering, and setting the hook in that instant the fish keeps it in its mouth before spitting it out....
Old 11-28-2015, 06:07 AM

If you need it explained to you you might not understand lol
Old 11-28-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
X2.....exactly what I was thinking too, and i like coming back in the winter to new spots I may have scouted out in the summer as potential ice spots or to spots that are accessible only in the winter and that constantly gives me something to look forward to. For many species, the largest fish of the year become accessible in the winter months and hey, never a line up at the boat launch!!! My love and addiction for fishing for virtually anything doesn't allow me to take seasons off, I have to keep going. I figure someday i won't be able to fish so until then I'm going to get me as much of it as I can!!!
x3
Attached Images
File Type: gif ice_fishing.gif (31.9 KB, 255 views)