Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I think some of these mighty city hunters should stay on their tax paid city lot and not hunt anywhere else because they are giving everyone else a bad name. They have the same attitude that gets fences cut, dead deer or livestock in the fields and overall pain in the but. we have maybe 10% of hunters ask permission, the other 90% always have some lame excuse why thier driving all over the fields. Maybe your right I should post and lay charges. Or if you like England laws go live there.
^^^^

To add to that some people feel the landowners land is there for THEM (the asker not the land title holder) not the landowner to use....this attitude of entitlement in todays world drives me nuts. If a guy says no, then say thank-you for the opportunity and move along....don't ask why??? He has no obligation to tell you why you can't hunt there....you just can't. Its his land he has the say, if you don't like it go buy your own peice and set up your own rules of access.

The other thing people should do is ask often and keep in touch with the landowner. Lots of guys lease other guys land and "horse trade" quarters back and forth, it is good to shore up permission EVERY YEAR, unless told otherwise.

I was hunting on a piece of land where a guy came tromping up to me and says "Do you have permission to be here?" I said, "yes...Mr. X told me its all good. I had coffee with him this morning"...the guys says, "Mr. X doesn't own this....Mr.Y does!" I said, "have you talked to Mr. Y lately?" guys says, "no why?"....I say,"Cause Mr. Y passed away 3 years ago and Mr. X bought his section of land"...I then asked, "Do you have permission to be here?".....

LC
Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 PM

In with another buddy, we bought a quarter 5 years back, and an adjoining quarter this spring, so now we have 320 acres NE of Little Smokey. Even though the first quarter (logged out with 10 yr re-growth) has produced some animals in the past, the newest quarter will have 150+ bales on it this month and is the first baled piece of land next to a lot of bush, expecting a very exciting season this year.
The farmer we bought from just called and asked if he can pass on my phone # to people that he has allowed to hunt it in the past. Regretably I had to kinda pass on this for the first part of the season anyways, as we'll be camped just off the land for the first 3 weeks of the season, as I've been working 60 hrs / wk for the past 2.5 yrs, in Oilsands plant commisioning / start-up, so with vacation finally booked, I've really been looking forward to this upcoming season. So yes, would like to let some folks on, if these folks have a late season cow elk or something like that, or if we could co-ordinate a time when we're not hunting ourselves, we would allow it.

Up 'til 5 - 6 yrs ago we were the ones asking permission, some land owners said yes, and some said no, so we did our best to own our own piece. You guys would be surprised at what you can dig up for land and price if you look around. Our first Q was $350 / acre, and this newest Q was $500 / acre. Go in with a buddy or 2 if you have to.
Instead of driving the $60K truck to ooo, and ahhh people, drive a $12 -$15K truck, they'll all be worth $12K some day anyways, ha, and what will land be worth ? put money into land guys.
Oh, also, We should all have our AO handles pinned to our camo out in the field so we know who to let on, and who can just keep on driving.

TBark

Last edited by TBark; 08-06-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndogn View Post
I don't put signs up because i don't have to, law says stay out unless u have permission....plain and simple
I agree. And as a city dweller now, I don't want to put no trespassing signs on my fence so ppl stay out of my yard so why should farmers have to do it?