View Poll Results: Changing the draw priorities to a weighted system
Instill the weighted draw priority point system 98 36.57%
Keep the current draw prioirty system as is 170 63.43%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2023, 02:21 PM

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
That is why the weighted/squared system is being suggested. Take those 26 years of priority and transfer it over. It's not rocket science.
Agreed. There is a nice middle ground on high demand opportunities using weighted system. Like many others here, I'm partnering with my 4 youth hunters as in some cases with a point creep problem, they will never draw a tag in their home province if the system does not change.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:01 PM
Banned

Default I don't know neither of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Don't tell him what she thinks, you don't know her.....
HUMM okJust remember what he said

Quote:
The new hunter I took out last season basically gave up on a dream applying for pronghorn in Alberta once I told her the wait time.
Thats on her
Old 02-17-2023, 04:11 PM

The problem with pure random draws is that everyone puts in just in case they get lucky. Look at the mountain goat draws in the past. You can't convince me that, that many people were prepared to actually hunt the goats if they got drawn.

Point creep is getting up there. Talking with some new hunters they realized that the turkey draw for instance would take 26 years before it clears those who entered last year. Add in those who 999 it and your looking at 120 years before a new hunter would be drawn.

I like the points being squared it gives a decent chance to everyone, and is weighted towards those who have been in longer.

I have some high pp now but I also know once i pull them I might never get that hunt again with the point creep.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:48 PM

When did our hunting community become so selfish?
Old 02-17-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
The problem with pure random draws is that everyone puts in just in case they get lucky. Look at the mountain goat draws in the past. You can't convince me that, that many people were prepared to actually hunt the goats if they got drawn.

Point creep is getting up there. Talking with some new hunters they realized that the turkey draw for instance would take 26 years before it clears those who entered last year. Add in those who 999 it and your looking at 120 years before a new hunter would be drawn.

I like the points being squared it gives a decent chance to everyone, and is weighted towards those who have been in longer.

I have some high pp now but I also know once i pull them I might never get that hunt again with the point creep.
My own feeling, is that if the numbers work out to 80- 100 years to draw a tag, they should be once in a lifetime, give as many people the chance to experience the hunt as possible. Then again, 4 of my last 5 draw tags were used by youth or new hunters, that partnered with me. The 5th was offered to a youth, but we couldn't make the schedule work.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
What about abolishing the “999” or priority only option. No fence sitters to drive up points. You either draw the tag and hunt it or don’t put it at all.
Then you get a bunch of draws pulled that aren’t used…

The 999 is a good system, I’ve explained it before but I’ll do it again.

Let’s say you are at the grocery store and you are in line, your wife decides she forgot something so you step aside for a short time and let other people behind you go ahead… then when ready you step back into line to take your turn to checkout.

It’s the same thing with 999. Without out it (some of us have hunted here long before 999 was a thing) if you are crafty you can up priority without pulling a draw… HOWEVER you may accidentally pull it in an area you don’t know and take that opportunity away.

Why is is a bad thing that people who wait can actually make a plan to pull a draw on a specific year? After all they let others in line before them… and they waited longer?

LC
Old 02-17-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My own feeling, is that if the numbers work out to 80- 100 years to draw a tag, they should be once in a lifetime, give as many people the chance to experience the hunt as possible. Then again, 4 of my last 5 draw tags were used by youth or new hunters, that partnered with me. The 5th was offered to a youth, but we couldn't make the schedule work.
Well those 80 -100 year tags are now once in a lifetime tags. Your not drawing that 2 times in a life.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Well those 80 -100 year tags are now once in a lifetime tags. Your not drawing that 2 times in a life.
Chances are you're not drawing one of them. Considering you cannot apply till 12, you may be 112 before you get drawn. Hopefully it's not a sheep tag lol

Pretty bad when you're waiting for people to die to lessen the high priority pool
Old 02-17-2023, 05:14 PM

Hunter host system needs to be changed, one tag and two hunters like moose.

Do it for other species, if you want your buddy to have an experience hunting mule deer…. You pull the tag and partner him.

You get double the people in the field with the “chance” to hunt mule deer… instead of requiring the hunter and the host to hold a tag.

20 hunter host tags available… 20 hunters.

20 hunter host tags, partnered up 40 hunters with the chance to pursue deer… same harvest goals met.

That way…. Only residents need be in the draw system and have stiffer rules for who is deemed a resident.

LC
Old 02-17-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
But it would be possible if any of the tags become lottery tags.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:27 PM

What's 80 to a 100 years? If it's sheep I understand the impatience, but just save up the $50,000+ US and buy one or $100,000+ US and buy a desert sheep.

The whole I'm not applying cause I'll take too long for an Antelope in Alberta", well just pay for a public land hunt in Wyoming, with food n fuel n trespass fees, that's likely $2500 US, or an Outfitter in Az. is lots more Im guessing.

Before you jump all over me think how many folks now wanna hunt, how many watch TV and Social and believe that the canned hunts you see are what the average Albertian can do, consider time off work, time to get permission, money and fuel to scout etc.

How many could have been 999ing since forever, Dad could have been doing that for them, think how long it took for some old guys to draw for their last Alberta Antelope.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Chances are you're not drawing one of them. Considering you cannot apply till 12, you may be 112 before you get drawn. Hopefully it's not a sheep tag lol

Pretty bad when you're waiting for people to die to lessen the high priority pool
Your sure stuck on the sheep draws! I’ve never put in for a sheep draw but yet I’ve killed a few Rams. So why are all these people putting in for a draw that they could buy a general tag for? Are these draw tags a guarantee ram if you get drawn?
Old 02-17-2023, 05:50 PM

The guys saying they had to wait so everyone has to wait.

The wait times are not what they used to be. It's easy to look up and see how many people are entering draws now. Even the last 10 years it's crazy how fast the point creep happened.

There was 1 draw I had a pp of 2 years and that was considered a long wait for it. Now I was lucky to get it at 7 years the last time. What will it be next time? According to the numbers entered I should have a chance in 21 years again.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:58 PM

Can’t speak for others, but I’m new to hunting and I have no problems shooting a general whitetail while I gain experience and knowledge before attempting a much larger animal. Next year I will be a priority 3 for a bull moose and will continue spending time researching these animals before trying to pull a tag.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:06 PM

Would a weighted priority system provide the same ability for a group of hunting partners to plan hunts as a group? For licences on larger critters that allow partners, it can be good to predictably alternate amongst the group. For other licenses, it nice to predictably know when a group can hunt together.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Your sure stuck on the sheep draws! I’ve never put in for a sheep draw but yet I’ve killed a few Rams. So why are all these people putting in for a draw that they could buy a general tag for? Are these draw tags a guarantee ram if you get drawn?
Would the turkey draw be better for you? It's the only "untouchable draw" I actually have priority in (and could care less if I actually ever shoot one, maybe one day I'll get the itch) Think I might have enough right now, not sure. Have enough to draw trophy antelope in any zone. Enough for moose in pretty much any zone.

It's the younger hunters that may have interest in some of these draws that concerns me. Would like to see them at least have a chance of drawing. As the government has known for a long time they effed up with these draws, perhaps if they ever decide to fix their mess, they could do it without screwing over the guys with a bunch of priority while giving everyone a "chance"

Why the interest in this thread if you're happy with your general tag anyways? Doesn't seem like it should be of any concern to you as you're good with general tags or hunting turkey out of province

ps, the majority of impossible tags to ever draw are sheep tags, although there are a few others headed that way
Old 02-17-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The guys saying they had to wait so everyone has to wait.

The wait times are not what they used to be. It's easy to look up and see how many people are entering draws now. Even the last 10 years it's crazy how fast the point creep happened.

There was 1 draw I had a pp of 2 years and that was considered a long wait for it. Now I was lucky to get it at 7 years the last time. What will it be next time? According to the numbers entered I should have a chance in 21 years again.
i miss the days of a mule buck tag every second year
Old 02-17-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton resident View Post
HUMM okJust remember what he said

Thats on her
Clearly some posts between the one of mine you quoted and this one have been deleted

Not even worth my time really but you would be wise to not judge people you have had zero interactions with
Old 02-17-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Would the turkey draw be better for you? It's the only "untouchable draw" I actually have priority in (and could care less if I actually ever shoot one, maybe one day I'll get the itch) Think I might have enough right now, not sure. Have enough to draw trophy antelope in any zone. Enough for moose in pretty much any zone.

It's the younger hunters that may have interest in some of these draws that concerns me. Would like to see them at least have a chance of drawing. As the government has known for a long time they effed up with these draws, perhaps if they ever decide to fix their mess, they could do it without screwing over the guys with a bunch of priority while giving everyone a "chance"

Why the interest in this thread if you're happy with your general tag anyways? Doesn't seem like it should be of any concern to you as you're good with general tags or hunting turkey out of province

ps, the majority of impossible tags to ever draw are sheep tags, although there are a few others headed that way
All I was saying is there are options for turkey, and sheep. The turkey tag isn’t that expensive to buy in B.C. if you really want a turkey. It seems there a lots of guys who want the tag prices increased here in Alberta that could afford it. I have enough priorities for Antelope, Elk, Moose, Mule Deer and the wainwright tags. I’ll pick one a year and go do the hunt. It really doesn’t bother me how the system currently is. Maybe they should make it that you can only pull a couple of draw tags a year with the purchase of at least 2 general tags. You buy your general tags before you can apply for draws. You could get rid of non resident and guided tags for Antelope, Mule Deer, Moose, and Elk (draw tags). Id also be ok with letting my kids hunt on my tags as I would get more enjoyment out of watching them harvest animals.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Would love to see a weighted system for certain tags
This. All sheep, moose, turkey.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:32 PM
Banned

Weighted draw for all of them
Give everyone a little bit of excitement come draw time
It’s boring when you know your going to get picked
Get rid of the group draws
Increase the application price on higher valued hunts
Such as sheep, antelope, turkey, trophy elk, trophy moose
Anything that currently requires a 12 or higher priority to draw
Its more money to enter
Old 02-19-2023, 03:59 PM

While we are at it . We should should add a $150 tag that allows you to only shoot one animal a year . Let it be open season if you want to use it on a deer ,elk or a moose .
Old 02-19-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Weighted draw for all of them
Give everyone a little bit of excitement come draw time
It’s boring when you know your going to get picked
Get rid of the group draws
Increase the application price on higher valued hunts
Such as sheep, antelope, turkey, trophy elk, trophy moose
Anything that currently requires a 12 or higher priority to draw
Its more money to enter
It's not boring at all to know that you will be drawn, it's comforting to know that you can make plans, well in advance, which is a huge asset, for people that have to book vacation at the start of the year. The same with group draws, it adds a lot to the hunt, when multiple family member or friends can harvest animals, on the same hunt, and you can share expenses, when more travel/equipment, is required.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
As we all know, in Alberta, our draw priority system allows the tags to go to the folks with the maximum priority points. This is not a favorable system for folks who are just starting to get in to the draws for the first time and it actually discourages them. The correct approach in my opinion is the "weighted" system which allows the folks with even one priority point to draw a coveted tag. This system is used in almost all the States in the lower 48 (Idaho and a couple other are exceptions) with great success. Montana probably has the best system as each year you don't draw, your points get squared going forward.

I am therefore setting up a poll to see what folks think about proposing this as a group to our Fish and Wildlife officials.

If you agree with introducing the new weighted system Press here :

If you think we need to keep the system as is, Press here:
There should be no outfitter tags when residents have to enter a lottery. Wholesaling our game to a part time job industry does not do a thing for a resident. Instead of trying to make the easy button for new people that don't want to wait their turn is outlandish.. We waited . They can too. The last thing we need is an American type of hunting.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
While we are at it . We should should add a $150 tag that allows you to only shoot one animal a year . Let it be open season if you want to use it on a deer ,elk or a moose .
That would definitely not be a good idea
Old 02-19-2023, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
There should be no outfitter tags when residents have to enter a lottery. Wholesaling our game to a part time job industry does not do a thing for a resident. Instead of trying to make the easy button for new people that don't want to wait their turn is outlandish.. We waited . They can too. The last thing we need is an American type of hunting.
You are so far out to lunch it isn’t really even funny
What govt dept did you work for ?
There is no wholesaling of our wildlife…
As a resident we have the most opportunities anywhere in the world
You obviously don’t understand the math involved in the process
Old 02-19-2023, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's not boring at all to know that you will be drawn, it's comforting to know that you can make plans, well in advance, which is a huge asset, for people that have to book vacation at the start of the year. The same with group draws, it adds a lot to the hunt, when multiple family member or friends can harvest animals, on the same hunt, and you can share expenses, when more travel/equipment, is required.
Draws need to be completed way sooner
We are virtually last out of any jurisdiction
Alaska just released the results of their draws
We do it a couple weeks before the season opens
👎

I’d rather have the lottery aspect, where everyone has the chance at “winning a lottery” over the saving a few bucks sharing expenses. If people aren’t drawn, buy a partner tag. Not that hard
Old 02-19-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
You are so far out to lunch it isn’t really even funny
What govt dept did you work for ?
There is no wholesaling of our wildlife…
As a resident we have the most opportunities anywhere in the world
You obviously don’t understand the math involved in the process
It's the math that got us where we are now. I've been hard at this game since the fifties and have seen the decline in opportuniteis, What once was fabulous, to today ,where opportunities are mediocre af best. Most of Albertas Wildlife resources are greatly diminished. Deer somewhat excluded. They simply can't keep up with the current demands of a rapidly increasing resident hunter population ..plus a S load of outsiders. Unless this gets sorted out quickly, all I can say is I'm glad I made it to the tail end of some fab hunting times. Not much left to understand.. for me anyway.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
It's the math that got us where we are now. I've been hard at this game since the fifties and have seen the decline in opportuniteis, What once was fabulous, to today ,where opportunities are mediocre af best. Most of Albertas Wildlife resources are greatly diminished. Deer somewhat excluded. They simply can't keep up with the current demands of a rapidly increasing resident hunter population ..plus a S load of outsiders. Unless this gets sorted out quickly, all I can say is I'm glad I made it to the tail end of some fab hunting times. Not much left to understand.. for me anyway.
I agree 100%
But regarding draws
I think that moving to a weight based system would be the direction of choice as of right now
Old 02-19-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Draws need to be completed way sooner
We are virtually last out of any jurisdiction
Alaska just released the results of their draws
We do it a couple weeks before the season opens
👎

I’d rather have the lottery aspect, where everyone has the chance at “winning a lottery” over the saving a few bucks sharing expenses. If people aren’t drawn, buy a partner tag. Not that hard
Except there are no partner tags for most species, if you aren't a youth, or a senior. And if you introduce partner tags for every species, some people will use their spouse or their children to draw tags to use themselves.