Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM

Default Downrigger experts - some advice please

Just purchased a pair of Penn 825 Fathom Master electric downriggers that I plan on using on Cold Lake. What would be the recommended ball size for my 17.5ft fiberglass Astro with a 150 Merc ?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Not an expert but 12 lb balls are probably a minimum if you are running at 100 ft plus. Watch the angle of the line when you are trolling, if it's too sharp you need more weight.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Ball aren't cheap , so I'd like to get it right the first time ! Also forgot , ball or fish shape ?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM

I think your model is rated at 10lbs.

You can go up or down a few pounds depending on what you are after. A heavier weight makes it easier to keep your rigger down nice and straight when you are moving a bit quicker for sure. It's a little tougher to handle versus a lighter weight when your swinging around in the chop trying to set your release without bringing everything in nice and tidy.

I've used the 10lb ball and have a 12lb "swimming fin" weight - Quite frankly, other than the 12lber costing 30 bucks more - and looking alot cooler, I see no signifigant advantage. I might be missing something, but I can't see (or feel) any difference.

It's not uncommon for my 10lber to be down 160' in 300 feet of water (recently on Kootenay) and she worked just fine. Angled back only about 15 degrees at 2mph. I could see it running on the fish finder at 140 feet (angle cuts the depth a bit). Anything more than 15-20 degrees, as mentioned above, gets to be finicky.

Last edited by EZM; 09-22-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:13 AM

I use 8 lbs pancake style weights that I make myself. I also have 10 lbers as well. My Walker downriggers are rated upto 10 lbs. I prefer the 8 lbers. I find the do the jobs well. I typically troll for Lake Trout at 4.2 kph.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:34 AM

Yes it does , just need to wait for the Fishin Hole boxing day sale !
Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM

I use 10lb pancake style weights. They blow back a little but I only have been running at about 1.7mph. Bump it up to 2.5mph and they are twice as far back.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM

We use 10lb balls. I like to run a large flasher off of the ball when fishing for rainbows or salmon so I prefer the ones with an extra eye to attach the flasher to.

I like to troll around 3mph with apexes or lyman plugs when downrigging. Listen for the humming/whistling of the cable in the water to start and hold that speed.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:36 AM

Why is lead SO expensive ? 10lb pancake start at $42.99 ea !
Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

I run 10lb balls in fresh water and 15lb balls when out west in the chuck.. Reason being in the ocean you have the tide to contend with and I like the extra weight to help me run my gear consistent. If you plan on predominantly running fresh water than 10lb is adequate..

Personally I think that the pancake style is the only way. Over the years I have ran just about every type there is on the market and find the pancake to be the best. What I don't like about the round balls is the spinning that happens. It really shortens the life of your rigger cables and can cause tangles in the line and release clip,, just a real pain..

Another factor to consider is the rubber coating. Personal all my weights are rubber coated. Down rigger balls have a nasty tendency to bang into the side of your boat when you bring them up when fighting a fish especially when their is a bit of a chop on the water. The rubber coating really helps protect your boat and if your like me,, the boat comes first..

One thing to remember if you are going to run pancake weights is they have a fin and as such they have a side to be ran on. When you buy a pancake weight the fin is straight. Take the weight and hold it sideways in your hand and give it a bit of a smack against a table or ledge just at the base of the fin in turn to the same to the other weight but on the opposite side this way you will have a left and a right weight,, remember to mark them. This comes in really handy when running deep for those lakers and making your turns. The angle of the fin keeps them tracking away from each other and makes life a lot simpler..But don't put them on the wrong side for obvious reasons,, tangle city..

Just a few pointers to get you started..
Old 09-25-2010, 11:32 AM

I have 2 Scotty electrics and fish Cold Lake with 9lb pancakes with no problem.Last month I fished in 200ft of water with my cannon balls set at 110 ft and was catching lakers, no issues.I also use a "Black Box" and find it seems to put more fish in my boat.I use nothing other than herring rigs and the famous Cold Lake spoon, depending on the time of the season.A good idea is also a snubber from your cable to the ball and a retrieve line to pull the ball in closer to you boat, Scotty makes both and they work excellent.