Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Banned

Default GPS Tracking employees

So the company I work for wants us all to install GPS tracking/check in software for "safety" on our phones. I went to install it and you had to give it access to your photo/media files, call logs, bluetooth connections, location of course, etc. Seemed pretty intrusive to me, especially to be installing on my personal phone.

I understand this is up to them and I have no say in the tracking part, but am I being unreasonable to refuse this? I told them, if they want to track us, that's their decision to make, and within their legal rights, but I won't be installing it on my phone. They can supply a work phone for their tracking software. Frankly, I'm creeped out by this latest innovation, and I'm not sure I'm even going to stick around, despite being with this company for many, many years.

They say they aren't going to use it for tracking, and it's just for safety.

Last edited by rugatika; 06-20-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:12 AM

I wouldn't be putting that on my personal phone. If they want to be able to keep track for "safety" reasons then let them provide you with a company phone that you use while working.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdelipper View Post
I wouldn't be putting that on my personal phone. If they want to be able to keep track for "safety" reasons then let them provide you with a company phone that you use while working.
X2
They don't own you, only renting
Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

No way.

I'm an employer and I find that way over the line. Track tools, track vehicles, track a company phone provided by the company that is for company use only, but your private phone is just that. PRIVATE.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM

You are wise to be cautious. They may say they won't use those features but could certainly change their minds in the future.

I wouldn't install it on my personal phone.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
This.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
X4
Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 AM

Just quit. Seriously if they have gone so stupid they want to track personal phones all respect for workers is lost. Of all the tracking for safety bs I have delt with for all the company's over the years 100% of the time it is about micromanaging and trying to "catch you" and not safety. And it's not just the tracking by bull****, once a company goes down this road it's a hundred other things of pure stupidity. No respect and trust for people leads to useless idiots the good people quitting and only useless idiots that remain. I've seen it time and time again.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM

never
Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Zero chance they would put it on a phone they are not paying for it I worked there.
Ridiculous that they have no trust for their employees and think they can piggyback to save money. Tell them to supply a truck and they can track it.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
and .......... x5

I would say to them simply.....

"I understand the importance of safety and agree that tracking could be a useful tool, however, I won't be installing this software on my phone, but I would be more than happy to have a company device provided to me that I would carry with me while on duty"

Done deal - they cannot legally fire you for refusing to install company software onto your personal device.

There is ZERO need to quit and make a big deal over this. You have a good job with a company where you have spent years. Being a combative hot head looking to pick a fight or quit over this isn't going to do yourself or your family any good as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying you intent to act like this, but some others may feel this is the appropriate reaction - I simply don't see the need for the drama.

That's my perspective.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

Default Not on your phone,no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
So the company I work for wants us all to install GPS tracking/check in software for "safety" on our phones. I went to install it and you had to give it access to your photo/media files, call logs, bluetooth connections, location of course, etc. Seemed pretty intrusive to me, especially to be installing on my personal phone.

I understand this is up to them and I have no say in the tracking part, but am I being unreasonable to refuse this? I told them, if they want to track us, that's their decision to make, and within their legal rights, but I won't be installing it on my phone. They can supply a work phone for their tracking software. Frankly, I'm creeped out by this latest innovation, and I'm not sure I'm even going to stick around, despite being with this company for many, many years.

They say they aren't going to use it for tracking, and it's just for safety.

Not on your phone,no.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Banned

Hang on a second... Is it a 3rd party software or something they put together? Did they give you reasons for the tracking? Is there a policy they want signed? Purposes of tracking what - your movements? Are they trying to keep a map of everywhere you are?

If you have apps like facebook and facebook messenger installed, they are ripping apart your privacy - and by accepting their terms, you're allowing it. Unfortunately, most people just don't care anymore. And the facebook apps aren't the only one, pretty much all apps will gather what they can. Facebook says the same, just because they can - doesn't mean they will.

Simply put, personal or not, you don't own that phone anymore.

On the other hand, it's your personal phone. As far as I know, legally they cannot force you into this as a term of employment. But you'll likely be surprised at how many people will say yes - cause it's being pushed as normal. Corporate policy is just that - doesn't make it legal. If the cops pull you over, demand to search your car - and you say yes, then it's legal. Whatever they find can be used against you.

I've had some owners approach me about tracking employees in various ways, I just chuckled at them. Any IT person that entertains - or pushes that idea, needs to have the phone stuffed down their throat.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Default No

Put it on the company phone and pay for me to carry it. I can deal
with that.

Never on my personal phone.

I could see an employer telling people to leave their personal phones out of the work place. I work with a guy who spends more time on his phone than a woman.

They can monitor me on their phone all the time they are paying me. No issue there.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 AM

It's a pretty common practice in byop (bring your own phone) companies. Some of these programs can erase your phone and or contacts (usually done to protect company information if the phone is lost or stolen). If a company has you using your personal phone and installing there software on it make sure they have a byop policy and that you read it. Many people I know opt out and just use corporate webmail if they need email.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:46 AM

As mentioned, I think your company needs to supply work phones if they want this tracking software.

I recently got a Samsung 7. Love the cell phone but every time I want to do something with an app or post a pic, it wants me to allow access to this file or that or all. Holy cow.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Banned

My last place of employment said the gps was for safety reasons,it was installed on the company truck which they owned. It was used as a tool to manage the efficient use of resources based on a business model.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Banned

The app in question is Loner Mobile. You have to check in every certain time period or it alerts someone. Tracks your location as well.

Previously, I've used my phone for company work, contacting clients etc and they have paid me for it monthly.

I was extraodinarily polite in declining to install on my phone and suggested they provide me with a company phone instead and keep my private phone separate from work from now on if this was the direction the company was heading.

Really good small company to work for by and large, save for some of these new policies which are getting to be a little uncomfortable/intrusive for me. Getting work elsewhere wouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Simple, if they insist, rather than give up a great job just get a second phone that you use only for work. Keeps your private stuff private and your work stuff separate. Better to pay for a second phone than give up a great job in this economy.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 AM

If it was my personal phone, it wouldn't see that app.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:17 AM

My company supplied a company phone, and n that phone, they can install what they want, but I would not install that on my personal phone.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
The app in question is Loner Mobile. You have to check in every certain time period or it alerts someone. Tracks your location as well.

Previously, I've used my phone for company work, contacting clients etc and they have paid me for it monthly.

I was extraodinarily polite in declining to install on my phone and suggested they provide me with a company phone instead and keep my private phone separate from work from now on if this was the direction the company was heading.

Really good small company to work for by and large, save for some of these new policies which are getting to be a little uncomfortable/intrusive for me. Getting work elsewhere wouldn't be an issue.
So basically, the powers that be requested that you install the application on your phone. No papers to sign, no "this is what we are tracking" - just install the app and trust us?

Sounds more likely that they found and app that will work, someone had the bright idea to implement it without any real research.

Tell the powers that be that you want to see their phone, you want to see that it's installed and all terms accepted. That they are being tracked as well - chances are good they won't have it installed.

In other words, shove it.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
My last place of employment said the gps was for safety reasons,it was installed on the company truck which they owned. It was used as a tool to manage the efficient use of resources based on a business model.
That's a different story. Shaw tracking for example can save costs if properly used. Speed of the truck, fuel consumption, faster routes etc. There is no real personal information garnered.

You wouldn't want it installed in your personal vehicle.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
So basically, the powers that be requested that you install the application on your phone. No papers to sign, no "this is what we are tracking" - just install the app and trust us?

Sounds more likely that they found and app that will work, someone had the bright idea to implement it without any real research.

I think that sums it up pretty well.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Simple, if they insist, rather than give up a great job just get a second phone that you use only for work. Keeps your private stuff private and your work stuff separate. Better to pay for a second phone than give up a great job in this economy.
Thats a good option I hadn't considered.

I left the ball in their court for now. They're discussing their options apparently.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think that sums it up pretty well.
Not uncommon really. And if you ask them what is being tracked or taken from your phone, they wouldn't be able to tell you. It's just another app.

I try to keep companies from spying too much. It's like the use of biometrics for signing in or out - it's not necessary to use fingerprints. There are scanners out there that use the shape of the hand only, no identifying info. Use technology wisely.

If you can't trust specific employees then get rid of individuals. You can't expect trust or loyalty in return if you don't give it - you're dealing with adults (with exceptions). And frankly, most companies haven't got a clue about what they collect and retain on their employees or customers - let alone the legalities of retaining it.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 AM

Sure, once they pay for the phone and service. I have GPS tracking with my company but not on my personal property.
This is a double handed attempt by your company to have their cake, eat it and have you pay for it.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Banned

The government already tracks your movements,
Listens to your phone calls,
Google keeps track of your interests and purchasing online,
Cameras can be turned on , by hackers,
Thieves can steal your information by merely being in your vicinity,
And so on and so on,

At least with your boss you know who it is.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 AM

'what phone?'

no more problem
Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Gone Hunting

I lost my last job over this very issue.

In my case, the company I worked for had repeatedly proven beyond a shadow of doubt that they had no interest in our safety, and they made no effort to sell their plan on that basis.

They simply said, we want to track your every move, 24/7 and if you don't like it you can leave.
I refused so they made up faked statements saying that I had quite, and then they showed me the door.
Labor relations said there was nothing the could do because there were signed statements saying I had quit.

But in the end they did me a favor. I'm much happier now. There is so much less stress in what I'm doing now.

Some jobs are not worth holding on to, that was one such job.

George Bernard Shaw