Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-27-2018, 02:36 AM

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle18181220/
Old 12-27-2018, 08:26 AM

to the OP, yes there are allot wolves west of rocky/caroline. wait for a fresh snowfall and go for a cruise. last winter cat hunting out there i couldnt believe the amount of wolf tracks.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:03 AM

And yet people don't sweat coyotes like they do the big bad wolf. Not enough coyote folklore and fairy tales I guess.

http://www.capebretonpost.com/living...on-park-18896/

Lots to bite you in the great outdoors and lots have killed many more humans than wolves ever will. Grizzly and black bears, cougar, moose, rattlesnakes, wild hogs, spiders, jellyfish, sharks. Hell, our own dogs are probably at the top of the list.

Wolves are a long ways down on the risk factor. Probably more at risk of a lightening bolt, falling out of your treestand, toppling spruce tree or having one too many rums and faceplanting into your campfire while celebrating a successful day of hunting.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
A Grendel with those 123gr sst pills would probably be an amazing wolf combo. One more gun to add to the wish list..
Right?! Exactly my thoughts too.

There’s a guy from Alaska slaying them regular with Grendel on the Grendel Forum.

Should be dandy for light recoil and going quick to get multiples. And that it can double down on big game when needed...win win.✌️
Old 12-27-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
And yet people don't sweat coyotes like they do the big bad wolf. Not enough coyote folklore and fairy tales I guess.

http://www.capebretonpost.com/living...on-park-18896/

Lots to bite you in the great outdoors and lots have killed many more humans than wolves ever will. Grizzly and black bears, cougar, moose, rattlesnakes, wild hogs, spiders, jellyfish, sharks. Hell, our own dogs are probably at the top of the list.

Wolves are a long ways down on the risk factor. Probably more at risk of a lightening bolt, falling out of your treestand, toppling spruce tree or having one too many rums and faceplanting into your campfire while celebrating a successful day of hunting.
Yes i remember this happening back a few years now. Thanks for the info to disprove the unkinown or overtold stories.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Wolf kill in Sask

What a bunch of BS by biologist, wolves ate at remote dump so caused them to attack human. Same thing uninformed Horrestio Bear biologist from Calgary explained why grizzly bears attack humans many years ago what nonsense. No dumps in National parks for last 40 years though grizz still attacks people!
Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
What a bunch of BS by biologist, wolves ate at remote dump so caused them to attack human. Same thing uninformed Horrestio Bear biologist from Calgary explained why grizzly bears attack humans many years ago what nonsense. No dumps in National parks for last 40 years though grizz still attacks people!

Makes sense to not set up a welcome wagon greeting and "humanize" them though. Keep them afraid to minimize risk. Dont set out a buffet line. Attractants aren't a good idea with any potentially dangerous animal.

I dont hunt with pork chops hanging off my backpack for this very reason.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Right?! Exactly my thoughts too.

There’s a guy from Alaska slaying them regular with Grendel on the Grendel Forum.

Should be dandy for light recoil and going quick to get multiples. And that it can double down on big game when needed...win win.✌️

I bet you sleep with that Grendel dont you? Pet names? Ms Pew Pew?
Old 12-27-2018, 11:40 AM

My cousin got a huge male and big female on Christmas morning behind his house two out of six is a good start.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
my cousin got a huge male and big female on christmas morning behind his house two out of six is a good start.
👍
Old 12-27-2018, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
I bet you sleep with that Grendel dont you? Pet names? Ms Pew Pew?
I better not tell you about my blaser k95 in 270 win, what a beauty!😉 Fortunately things are going far too well with the ladies to consider.✌️
Old 12-27-2018, 06:24 PM

This is the best our mint can do ? that's supposedly a wolf chasing the Hare.

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/50-f...16-prod2610109

Grizz
Old 12-27-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
I better not tell you about my blaser k95 in 270 win, what a beauty!😉 Fortunately things are going far too well with the ladies to consider.✌️

Well it's kinda obvious where my cartridge heart sits, because it was my first, ha, but I dont know Blasers much outside a buddy in Cgy shoots one. Swears by it and he does a lot of Africa and NZ hunting.

Nowadays I'm more of a 7mm guy, shouldnt we all be, really?? and pondering the next step up. Got it down to 300mag long action and the 338. 375 is the dark horse.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well it's kinda obvious where my cartridge heart sits, because it was my first, ha, but I dont know Blasers much outside a buddy in Cgy shoots one. Swears by it and he does a lot of Africa and NZ hunting.

Nowadays I'm more of a 7mm guy, shouldnt we all be, really?? and pondering the next step up. Got it down to 300mag long action and the 338. 375 is the dark horse.
The Blaser K95 is the European idea of a nice Ruger No 1 imo. However, modern take, very lightweight, full takedown and scope mount repeatability second to none. I’ve shot moa groups at my 250 taking scope on and off each shot. No different size groups than leaving it on...and in all development I put it through it never had a flier or poi change. Oh and reputation of incredible accuracy, I believe the late Greg Rodriguez(writer for shooting times) most accurate rifle was a k95 in 270 win. You pay dearly for this sort of thing however.

My 270 straight stock standard spec’d like this...

40 3/4” oal
5 lb 7.0 oz just iron sights
23 5/8” barrel
16.0 oz trigger pull

Add scope base and vx3 2.5-8 and it’s 6 lb 9.0 oz before cartridge holder and sling. Oh and goes into pieces for the backpack for k-country sheep duty, longest piece just the barrel.

It handles recoil really well! They are known for this, design credit etc.

https://youtu.be/w0Lj_XMDaK4
Old 12-27-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Theres dumps in parks, no a few places were they dump road kills etc in one park, plus other sources like the dumpsters in back of hotels/resteraunts.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Theres dumps in parks, no a few places were they dump road kills etc in one park, plus other sources like the dumpsters in back of hotels/resteraunts.
The Grizzly in the Calgary zoo ended up there after staking claim to a dumpster behind a Lake Louise hotel. Always stupid tourists as well to condition bears to easy human food .

Grizz
Old 12-29-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:

So what's Big Grey Wolfs "informed" explanation then (as opposed to Stephen Herrero's-worlds leading authority on bears & bear attacks)?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 12-30-2018, 08:17 AM

Default grizz

Grizzly bears have been attacking people for hundreds of years. If you had read Lewis Clark expedition they were always being attacked by grizz. They did not need National park dumps to teach them to attack people, the natives knew bears were dangerous!
Old 12-30-2018, 08:25 AM

It would sure be nice to hear about a good wolf hunt instead of grizzly bears and people comparing ammo stories.Hopefully someone took down one of these predators during the holiday season.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
My cousin got a huge male and big female on Christmas morning behind his house two out of six is a good start.
No pics?
Old 12-30-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
It would sure be nice to hear about a good wolf hunt instead of grizzly bears and people comparing ammo stories.Hopefully someone took down one of these predators during the holiday season.
Cold weather always helps, they get hungrier, we haven't had much of that.

Grizz
Old 12-30-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Makes sense to not set up a welcome wagon greeting and "humanize" them though. Keep them afraid to minimize risk. Dont set out a buffet line. Attractants aren't a good idea with any potentially dangerous animal.

I dont hunt with pork chops hanging off my backpack for this very reason.

This is exactly where many people and in particular, many educated experts, get the whole wolf/human issue wrong.

While defending/explaining this attack away as unusual due to human contact, they conflate the perspective that human contact is the cause, yet defend that wolves are not a danger to people.

The contradiction is glaring to anyone willing to see it.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-30-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This is exactly where many people and in particular, many educated experts, get the whole wolf/human issue wrong.

While defending/explaining this attack away as unusual due to human contact, they conflate the perspective that human contact is the cause, yet defend that wolves are not a danger to people.

Apex predators are called that for a reason, we should treat them as such, we're on the menu given the right conditions.

Grizz
Old 12-30-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Any apex predator can be a danger but it makes little sense to exacerbate potentials. There's a reason campers get warned to not leave food out in the open in campsites and why meat gets hung high in camps.

Outdoors 101.

I've seen an awful lot of bears in garbage dumps in my time. It isn't WHY they attack but it most definitely is a contributor to the attack potentials. Why draw them closer to human activity?
Old 12-30-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Apex predators are called that for a reason, we should treat them as such, we're on the menu given the right conditions.

Grizz

Exactly-and many times we place ourselves on that menu with improper food storage, habituation and complacency.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology