Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 AM

Default Bamboo rod design

Guys/gals,

For a perhaps 25 years I've constructed a bamboo fly rod as a fund raiser for Trout Limited. For the past years the rod has been donated to the Edmonton Trout Unlimited Chapter. The funds are part of the Lloyd Shea project that is presently working on Arctic Grayling.
The rod for the 2018 fund raiser is already completed and delivered. It is a 7'9" 5 wt. rod featuring gold coloured fittings. Raffle tickets for the rod will be available soon.

So, here is your opportunity to design a rod you would like to win.

Some things to consider:
Length between 6>8'
Line weight between 2>6
Handle shape
Thread wraps
Hook keeper style

Some of the things that are "locked in" already include. Oven tempering temp & time, glues, varnish, ferrules and bamboo selection.

I'm going to split the bamboo out for the Rod soon.

Regards,

Don
Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Thumbs up Bamboo

Can one buy tickets for a raffle or is it an auction item at the dinner?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:56 PM

Tickets are available at meetings of Northern Lights Fly Fishers (check nlft.org forum for dates), will be sold at the Lloyd Shea bucket raffle booth (next to the Fishin' Hole) at the Edmonton Boat and Sportsmen's Show, and the draw will take place at the Trout Unlimited Dinner/Auction at the River Cree on April 25th. They are 1 for $5 or 5 for $20
Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Question Tickets

Anywhere online or in that town the Bow runs through....
Old 11-22-2017, 11:03 PM

We have no way of selling tickets online but if anyone would like to buy them please send me a pm and I'm sure we can work something out.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Folks,

Thank you to all those that answered my query for what rod they would like for the 2019 raffle. There were those that wanted a 6>7' two weight rod and others who would like a 7/9" 5 wt. rod.

Well,- - - - - - - I pondered your responses for some time and finally concluded that the two weight rod was a specialized piece of equipment and would appeal to few. The 7'9" 5 wt. is a great suggestion however there is one of them heading into the 2018 raffle so I considered it best not to "crowd" the field.

During my pondering it occurred to me that most of the tickets would be purchased in the Edmonton area as that is where the raffle is held. Realizing that a longer and heavier line weight would be more useful for the fishing encountered in this area, I am going to build a 8'0" 6 wt. rod.

The taper for the 8'0" 6 weight rod will not be found on any taper archive. This taper I use for my personal rod used on the Crowsnest or Oldman Rivers when the flies are larger - stones and green drakes or the wind is up but not blowing strong enough to cause a beer break. Also, the rod performs well during the swimmer hatches.

The rod is being split out today.

PS: there are or will be those in Calgary wondering why the rod is offered to Edmonton and not in Calgary. With the "ME TOO" attitude that exists in Alberta, the question needs answered. Originally, the rod donation was part of the Central Alberta Chapters auctions. After the market was saturated, the rod appeared in the Calgary Dinner Auction for a number of years. For the past 5 or so years, the rod has made it's way to Edmonton.

regards,

Don
Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 PM

I am probably too late but what did Lee Wulff use for his summer salmon fishing movie exploits?
From my reading it was a 6 or 6'5 foot one or 2 piece cane rod custom made by Orvis and probably in 5 or 6 wt. I think it was in fact a 6' one piece but I don't recall ever seeing that spelled out other than the length. Might make a nice nostalgia project that would be practical for Alberta fly casters.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Folks,

Thank you to all those that answered my query for what rod they would like for the 2019 raffle. There were those that wanted a 6>7' two weight rod and others who would like a 7/9" 5 wt. rod.

Well,- - - - - - - I pondered your responses for some time and finally concluded that the two weight rod was a specialized piece of equipment and would appeal to few. The 7'9" 5 wt. is a great suggestion however there is one of them heading into the 2018 raffle so I considered it best not to "crowd" the field.

During my pondering it occurred to me that most of the tickets would be purchased in the Edmonton area as that is where the raffle is held. Realizing that a longer and heavier line weight would be more useful for the fishing encountered in this area, I am going to build a 8'0" 6 wt. rod.

The taper for the 8'0" 6 weight rod will not be found on any taper archive. This taper I use for my personal rod used on the Crowsnest or Oldman Rivers when the flies are larger - stones and green drakes or the wind is up but not blowing strong enough to cause a beer break. Also, the rod performs well during the swimmer hatches.

The rod is being split out today.

PS: there are or will be those in Calgary wondering why the rod is offered to Edmonton and not in Calgary. With the "ME TOO" attitude that exists in Alberta, the question needs answered. Originally, the rod donation was part of the Central Alberta Chapters auctions. After the market was saturated, the rod appeared in the Calgary Dinner Auction for a number of years. For the past 5 or so years, the rod has made it's way to Edmonton.

regards,

Don
Sounds like a tremendous, Unique rod, Don!
Cat
Old 12-02-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
I am probably too late but what did Lee Wulff use for his summer salmon fishing movie exploits?
From my reading it was a 6 or 6'5 foot one or 2 piece cane rod custom made by Orvis and probably in 5 or 6 wt. I think it was in fact a 6' one piece but I don't recall ever seeing that spelled out other than the length. Might make a nice nostalgia project that would be practical for Alberta fly casters.
Bp, that is a neat idea. I'll see if there might be a taper description out there somewhere.

Don
Old 12-03-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
Here is a Lee Wulff 6" one piece that I fish. Wonderful little fly rod.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Guys,

Seems like there are several 6' Lee Wulff tapers. One was used for Atlantic Salmon and was apparently stiffer than a poker and needed very heavy lines to bend the thing.
Looked over some other tapers which are of lighter line weights.
Good idea for the 2020 rod. The 2019 rod is now split out and rough tapered. It will be a 8'0" 6 wt.

Thanx for the thought,

Don