Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergitter View Post
mature wood is crucial thermal cover, when the snow is deep and the temps drop, also where marten, fisher, squirrels and a host of other small game live. After this is cut those small mammals don't relocate, they just die.

So they don't relocate?

Well I gotta run and pick up all the dead fisher & marten
on my line clearcut.
Will they be sticking upright, like little fence posts?

The fact is that directly after a clear cut, your harvest of these furs will double in the adjacent areas.

The trapper will then have to target perhaps lynx, wolves, coyote, foxes, as the ecology changes.

at least that's what I've experienced...
Old 02-17-2018, 10:28 AM

An older Hinton area study I read about clear cut logging suggests it takes about 25 years to start getting species diversity back. 25 to 60 years after logging a clear cut is used by a variety of wildlife. Each forest growth stage or succession attracts certain species.

The study is a pretty interesting read for those interested.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...age/1/mode/1up
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Critter, very wise post. Sorry guys I am also a full time trapper on RFMA. I spend 12 months in the bush not just 1 week each fall as some of you cut-block hunters. I know where the animals live. it is not in wasteland with 6 foot v-groves where even a moose could break a leg.
12 months a year and still no clue what your talking about. I see animals daily in cut blocks north of robb from moose to deer you name it.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Critter, very wise post. Sorry guys I am also a full time trapper on RFMA. I spend 12 months in the bush not just 1 week each fall as some of you cut-block hunters. I know where the animals live. it is not in wasteland with 6 foot v-groves where even a moose could break a leg.
I'm a trapper too, and I'm in the bush 12 months a year as well. Once again what you're saying is wrong, ungulates feed in the cut block and use mature tree for cover. Mature forest don't provide a lot of food for most animal species. Cut blocks are a giant pantry, when they're not sprayed with round up.

It reminds me of thread from 1 year or 2 ago when you claimed that moose avoid burnt area, while it is a well known fact that burns are a magnet to ungulate including moose.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Not all cut blocks are created equal.

Some are less productive than others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer survive.jpg (69.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg shhh be vewy quiet.jpeg (11.4 KB, 53 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-17-2018, 12:16 PM

All 3 were shot while feeding in the same cut block (2014, 2016 & 20147), next to a big burn. That area has only a few small patches of mature forest left, here and there for miles. According to this thread, some guys wouldn't waste their time there cause it's "void" of game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014.jpg (117.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 2016.jpg (123.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 2017.jpg (51.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-17-2018, 01:40 PM

After reading the '85 Hinton area study I can perceive
some replanted areas remaining unsuitable habitant for
some time, as Grey wolf & Critter suggested.

It seems to depend on the replant prep & following ops.

Scarification, (including glyphosate spraying, I would think),
retards habitant rebound rate by up to 10yrs.

This does appear to be geared to achieve the maximum
board ft of lumber per acre, with less ecological concern .

Battery's dyng, bye.....
Old 02-18-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
So, what happened to the animals that lived, where the wildfire occurred in Waterton Park or the one in Banff ? Same fate, at least with logging, there is some habitat designed into the plan to preserve a population. Poke around about anywhere in K country woods and you'll still find charcoal remnants of the 1936 fire that denuded the valley. Clear cut with a vengeance. The Idaho fire of 1910, known as the Beast, actually burned it's way into southern Alberta. Not many trees survived. Fire or logging, take your pick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_1910

I've lived here for over 30 years now, and have had ample opportunity to witness the regrowth of logged areas. Not the catastrophe people like to make it.

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 02-18-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
6' v grooves? Sounds terrible. Guess I haven't looked that close enough at all the cutblocks around this are area to notice these large grooves.
I would recommend to you to stay far away from all these cutblocks while out hunting then. Nothing to see. Especially avoid the active ones. Not a critter for miles.....