Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Default BowTech

Ive been thinking of getting my first bow recently. Ive been looking at the Bowtech General and admiral. They both seem like Decent bows and from the few reviews Ive been able to read they seem to get a passing grade. My question to you is if you have any personal experience with either bows and how did you like it? are they as quiet as they say? I'm also open to other suggestions. this will be for hunting i want a 70# draw weight and I'm a 30" draw length. also is there any other strictly bow shop around Calgary other the Jim bows and the Calgary archery center?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM

They are decent bows, but are they decent for you is the question? Only way to figure that out is to try one.

Last edited by BigRackLover; 09-21-2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: cause i spell like a 3rd grader
Old 09-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Decent bows? You won't get any better than the level of Bowtech's "Admiral". Ranks with other top bowmaker's high end bows. And yes, they are quiet. Note that the Admiral replaced the "General". Keep that in mind if pricing a new bow.

Sounds like you're new to archery? Certainly try these bows, but as always, try bows from a number of companies, see what feels best for you.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:41 PM

tried the admiral and loved it, but the guardian(last yr model) felt just as good, and some $ less, ....which i used to buy a better sight. I would recomend you give it try. I was amazed how quiet it was! My guardian is quieter than my daughters matthews genesis! (@ 20 pds draw)
Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 PM

Default General

I have owned a number of bows and made the mistake of shooting a BowTech General just for fun at Sherwood Park Archery. I was not in the market for a new bow, but bought it on the spot! And they are not cheap! I believe there is no smoother bow on the market and are very forgiving, and if hunting is your goal then forgivness should be number 1, at least in my opinion.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:30 AM

Another good thing about having a bowtech is Jim at Jimbow's provides awesome service. That is one reason I shoot a bowtech.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 AM

Just curious, why 70 lbs? I tend to discourage new archers from choosing the "default" weight because it's really not necessary. 60 lbs is a lot easier to hold & shoot and if you really get into the sport it's a lot easier on the body.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Try different bows and see what feels best in your hand. I have a matthews and love the way it "feels". My buddy has a bowtech and I tried shooting it and hated it. The handle, hand rest, whatever (sorry having a brain fart here) was too thin for my hand. On the positive side the bowtech had little or no hand shock, and a nice smooth draw. On the negative side. My buddy has had problems on two separate hunts now with the bowtech (think it's the admiral, but not positive) A screw (or clip) located in the bottom cam (not sure exactly) has fallen out in the middle of the hunt and then when you draw the bow it makes a horrible click sound. He's had to go into town on two separate hunts to get the thing fixed, which needless to say is a pain in the a**
Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasantnut View Post
Try different bows and see what feels best in your hand. I have a matthews and love the way it "feels". My buddy has a bowtech and I tried shooting it and hated it. The handle, hand rest, whatever (sorry having a brain fart here) was too thin for my hand. On the positive side the bowtech had little or no hand shock, and a nice smooth draw. On the negative side. My buddy has had problems on two separate hunts now with the bowtech (think it's the admiral, but not positive) A screw (or clip) located in the bottom cam (not sure exactly) has fallen out in the middle of the hunt and then when you draw the bow it makes a horrible click sound. He's had to go into town on two separate hunts to get the thing fixed, which needless to say is a pain in the a**
And this is why you try different bows. I was a Mathews fan, until I "discovered" Bowtech. A few years ago, all the rage was about the Bowtech Guardian. Everything I read said "give this bow a try before you buy anything else". Before I bought a Mathews Drenalin, I tried the Guardian. Well, the Guardian came home with me that afternoon!

I personally love the feel of Bowtechs (I now have the Captain as well). To shoot a Mathews, I'd have to change the grip for starters. You have to try different manufacturers when in the market for something new. Archery is evolving so quickly and the competition is so strong. Fortunately, we all benefit because of it, with the development of new products.

Don't let "brand loyalty" stand in the way of the bow that is right for YOU! And, by the way, you need to check screws and clips periodically. You, or the person beside you can usually hear when something is loose.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasantnut View Post
On the negative side. My buddy has had problems on two separate hunts now with the bowtech (think it's the admiral, but not positive) A screw (or clip) located in the bottom cam (not sure exactly) has fallen out in the middle of the hunt and then when you draw the bow it makes a horrible click sound. He's had to go into town on two separate hunts to get the thing fixed, which needless to say is a pain in the a**
Sounds like your buddy needs to be introduced to my good friend Mr. Locktite...
Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 PM

Default Bowtech

Like everyone else is saying shoot them then decide. I have a Guardian and love it. That being said I will be trying out the new models when they come out to see how they shoot. You can never have enough of a good thing.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Sounds like your buddy needs to be introduced to my good friend Mr. Locktite...
did you know we're "not supposed to" use thread locker on cam screws? Funny thing though, I don't know where that gunk in the threads came from

I know a lot of you guys like which ever bow you're shooting. Just pay attention to a few things - grip is a big one. My hand doesn't get along with at least 2 different companies grips. So if you find yourself in that situation you might want to look into a custom grip. Beware of the grip builder that makes a wooden copy of the plastic grip though. That's a pointless upgrade and IMHO a waste of $80!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:43 PM

That's the word I was looking for "the grip". As for locktite......well I told him after the first time.......
Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned

Default guardian

X2 3D Shooter. I have two guardians and love them. I will shoot something else down the road, but it will be another Bowtech. Can't beat the solid wall and smooth shooting you will get from all Bowtechs. Good luck in your quest for a new bow.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renslip View Post
X2 3D Shooter. I have two guardians and love them. I will shoot something else down the road, but it will be another Bowtech. Can't beat the solid wall and smooth shooting you will get from all Bowtechs. Good luck in your quest for a new bow.
If you all like the bowtech bows give APA a try. For me they both feel the same in the hand as the grips goes but the APA feels smoother and quieter than the bowtechs that I have shot and I have shot all the new bowtechs and APA's plus APA is canadian.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
If you all like the bowtech bows give APA a try. For me they both feel the same in the hand as the grips goes but the APA feels smoother and quieter than the bowtechs that I have shot and I have shot all the new bowtechs and APA's plus APA is canadian.
I have tried APA. Nothing against them, I just don't like them. And I'd have to disagree regarding the feel. You can have 'em. Sorry, they're not "my bow". Though I would encourage others to try them... try everything, I don't make a dime off of any of them!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntercam View Post
Another good thing about having a bowtech is Jim at Jimbow's provides awesome service. That is one reason I shoot a bowtech.
They are nice bows. I agree. I shoot and X Force and if i was to ever buy a different bow it would be a bowtech. Smooth, fast, quiet...good choice.

By the way....Jimbos does have great service but is weak on technical knowledge of bow set up and repair..... To many buddies with issues when he's worked on there bows...strings falling of, cracked limbs...
Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dshooter View Post
I have tried APA. Nothing against them, I just don't like them. And I'd have to disagree regarding the feel. You can have 'em. Sorry, they're not "my bow". Though I would encourage others to try them... try everything, I don't make a dime off of any of them!
Try the PSE bows. For a while they feel WAY behind but now they are leading the pack again. The X Forces are amazing. Fast, smooth and Quiet as hell.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
Try the PSE bows. For a while they feel WAY behind but now they are leading the pack again. The X Forces are amazing. Fast, smooth and Quiet as hell.
Bowtech Guardian set up for elk and moose hunting. Bowtech Captain for 3D and deer hunting! Couldn't be happier!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 PM

I shoot a BowTech TopGun. Wicked bow. Smooth release, tons of power, and very quiet. hmm yup my vote is BowTech.