Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Prussian Carp

I'm a fairly experienced fisherman, and I absolutely love to catch new species. I've caught almost everything Alberta has to offer except for golden trout and Prussian carp. Does anyone know any places near Calgary where I might be able to find a few of these carp? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:40 PM

Dewitt's
Old 09-11-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Dewitt's
it's a pretty slow going at Dewitts pond, the Asians did a pretty good haul last year, unbelievable what came out. I haven't been there for a few months, unless it improved since then but I was just wasting my time, last year I was doing good, and on top of that these are only the tiny little buggers, 4 to 6 inch max.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 AM

I haven't caught one myself but I've seen pictures of people catching them from the golf course pond behind discovery canyon here in Red Deer. https://youtu.be/VMoIqXRiemc
Old 09-12-2017, 09:30 AM

I've caught them in the Red Deer River, quite a nice size compared to the little ones in the trout ponds
Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, ill give them a shot.

JareS, what part of the RDR are you finding them, near Red Deer, or down by drumheller or what. also are they just in the current, or eddies.

Thanks again
Old 09-12-2017, 08:09 PM

I 've caught some at DeWitt's almost 2 pounds in weight. small ball floater with a size 14 hook. nightcrawlers for bait. once u get a nibble reel in your line don't set the hook or you'll end up with some lips
Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 PM

Ive heard that they go dormant in winter and cant be caught. does anyone know if they are still active right now, and if so, until when?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:48 AM

My daughter caught one in Red Deer River by East Coulee few weeks ago, nice and fat one, close to 2 lbs. Would upload picture but for some stupid reason it posts it sideways despite me rotating it and saving.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgod View Post
Ive heard that they go dormant in winter and cant be caught. does anyone know if they are still active right now, and if so, until when?
Back in Europe we were catching them in rivers until November or basically until first ice.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys, ill give them a shot.

JareS, what part of the RDR are you finding them, near Red Deer, or down by drumheller or what. also are they just in the current, or eddies.

Thanks again
Downstream by Drumheller. Sounds like their preferred habitat is when a river widens out and gets muddy, lower Bow River included. They're actually downstream as far as Lake Diefenbaker in Saskatchewan.

Whats the furthest upstream on the Bow/RDR anyone here has caught them? Would be interested to know if any have been caught say within city limits on the Bow yet
Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM

If you don't mind going out a little further, blood Indian reservoir is full of them and some big ones too.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:59 PM

If you know anyone in Mahogany apparently there are carp in there now.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:25 PM

Any thoughts how they got in there? No creek or the like coming from anywhere else is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Old 09-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
What kind of carp ?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 PM

How about read the title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
What kind of carp ?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
The lake communities in Calgary stock Grass Carp, as a weed control method !! That's why I asked what kind of carp in Mohagany, but thanks for your ignorant comment.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Have a good one!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:03 PM

I went out to dewitts pond on Saturday. There were at least 30 people fishing there, all using those 20' rods. Needless to say I had to fight to get a spot on such a small pond. I did manage to catch one which was about 4", and in total I think I saw maybe 5 fish come out of the pond. not the best fishing experience with it being so busy.

On another note, I have heard that Two Toed Pond right next to the Home Depot by Bearspaw has Prussian carp in it. I tried it on Saturday as well, but didn't have anything. I think I may have seen a fish move, but I cant be sure. Can anyone confirm this rumour?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I went out to dewitts pond on Saturday. There were at least 30 people fishing there, all using those 20' rods. Needless to say I had to fight to get a spot on such a small pond. I did manage to catch one which was about 4", and in total I think I saw maybe 5 fish come out of the pond. not the best fishing experience with it being so busy.

On another note, I have heard that Two Toed Pond right next to the Home Depot by Bearspaw has Prussian carp in it. I tried it on Saturday as well, but didn't have anything. I think I may have seen a fish move, but I cant be sure. Can anyone confirm this rumour?
Never fished it but I have witnessed Osprey diving in and pulling something fat out of there!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:

some of my friend told me Two Toed Pond is closed to fishing activity.

Also heard rumors there are carps in this pond.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
The lake communities in Calgary stock Grass Carp, as a weed control method !! That's why I asked what kind of carp in Mohagany, but thanks for your ignorant comment.
To be honest I am not sure what kind of carp. I don't think they stocked them in Mahogany as the HOA was notified and they did not state they stocked them.

I still haven't seen one in person.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
To be honest I am not sure what kind of carp. I don't think they stocked them in Mahogany as the HOA was notified and they did not state they stocked them.

I still haven't seen one in person.

A decade + ago Calgary community ponds stocked Grass Carp for water clarity control. They do not breed and if there are still any living its from the original stockings several years ago.

If the HOA did not stock them, they were stocked illegally and would be Prussian Carp

To the present knowlegde of the AB gov't and neighboring provinces, there are no Common Carp in Alberta. Same goes for Silver Carp which are further east still than the Common Carp.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:12 PM

I do know that in arbour lake, I have seen both Prussian carp which were introduced illegally, and grass carp. the grass carp I saw were upwards of 10 pounds.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:33 PM

Go to Dewiitts, it is FULL of these things. Simply just use a worm & bobber.