Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2016, 11:16 PM

Talking Fishing In Cardiff Pond

Hey guys, we're thinking about taking our 5yo daughter out to Cardiff pond on Friday to see if she can't catch a little something that won't rip the rod out of her hands like the ONLY fish we managed to catch at Star lake this year. A few questions for you guys who are familiar with the lake.

1. Any special notes for access?
2. Where's a good spot for fishing with a 5yo on the lake?
3. What's in the lake? I read somewhere that there's goldfish and everything in there but I'm not sure if that's just someone trying to be funny or not.
4. What might they be biting on out there?

I'm a big fan of pickerel rigs and power bait but she likes spinners because they're more interactive and fun.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2016, 05:55 AM

It came to my attention that I was thinking about Lacombe park pond, not cardiff. If anyone has info about lacombe pond I'd appreciate it. We just want the kids to catch something.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis View Post
It came to my attention that I was thinking about Lacombe park pond, not cardiff. If anyone has info about lacombe pond I'd appreciate it. We just want the kids to catch something.
You would have better luck at Cardiff or even one of the ponds in Morinville.
Small spinners should do ok at Cardiff. They usually don't stock large ones in there and the ones I caught before this years stocking were not that large either.

You can catch them off the dock or any 'corner' in the pond is good(take a look at a satellite image and pick one).

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:56 AM

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:49 PM

Default Cardiff Pond Is Beautiful - Give It A Try

It's really close to Edmonton. Lots of Trout although my biggest so far is just under 2lbs. It's a pretty good size - almost 1km from North to South. It has a real irregular shape to it which is cool for many reasons: 1) It breaks up the monotony of the usual circular ponds, 2) There are many, many different areas to fish from shore, 3) It's well treed so you can almost always find a spot that's somewhat sheltered from the wind or you can find spots with the wind behind your back to cast out further, 4) Its exceptionally well maintained and nicely mowed around the perimeter. The only ongoing problem that you'll find at most places is all the garbage that people leave behind. No biggy, next time I'm taking a shopping bag to pick up garbage.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leloinjunior View Post
It's really close to Edmonton. Lots of Trout although my biggest so far is just under 2lbs. It's a pretty good size - almost 1km from North to South. It has a real irregular shape to it which is cool for many reasons: 1) It breaks up the monotony of the usual circular ponds, 2) There are many, many different areas to fish from shore, 3) It's well treed so you can almost always find a spot that's somewhat sheltered from the wind or you can find spots with the wind behind your back to cast out further, 4) Its exceptionally well maintained and nicely mowed around the perimeter. The only ongoing problem that you'll find at most places is all the garbage that people leave behind. No biggy, next time I'm taking a shopping bag to pick up garbage.
Good post. Let me add that the south side of the pond is the best access point if you have kids. Also you can catch Crayfish which is always fun for the little ones. Just watch them swim up to your hook and grab on. They don't let go till thier on shore.

P.S. Hook and a worm.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 PM

Default Cardiff Crayfish

Yea, I was surprized one evening when I was out at Cardiff - I just happened to look down and there were two big crayfish parked side-by-side with their claws about one inch from the water line. They're always fun to catch, even for the big kids. One of these times I'll have to boil some up just to say I tried them.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:21 AM

I know you corrected yourself and meant Lacombe but if you do go to Cardiff then I've been out to Cardiff a couple of times in the past few weeks.

1.First thing is there are LOTS OF MOSQUITOS IN THE EVENING! Bring plenty of repellent or maybe even mosquito coils

2. I'm surprised this place actually hasn't been fished out yet considering it was early September but they definitely are tiny fish.

3. If you don't plan on catching and releasing, then I've found success with a light split shot above a size 3 or 4 hook covered in a ball of powerbait (I've had success with pink and the multi-colored one). Adjust the split shot if necessary, but I find if you go less than a foot you end up getting a lot of false strikes from Crayfish. However, back to point 2, they are really tiny fish and not even worth a meal so next time I go, I plan on going with some mepps spinners just make it easy to catch and release. I do have a favorite spot I like to fish here so if you need a spot, shoot me a PM and I will give you a Google map.

4. If fishing fails, catch crayfish (which someone above had mentioned). I came out with a good haul last year when I was skunked at Cardiff. I didn't eat them myself, so I can't tell you how they were, but definitely fun and a good way to pass time while waiting for a bite.