Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Albright knot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Start with an Albright Knot. It is not the 'best' knot to use, but it is one of the easiest to tie and part of what I would consider the 'essential knot kit', along with the improved clinch knot, perfection loop, non-slip mono loop, surgeons knot, and uni knot.

I attest the best knot to use to connect braid to fluoro is the FG knot, but it is not a great knot to tie in the field.
After trying several of the knots listed, I've fought the Albright knot to be the easiest for me to tie plus it shouldn't be bad in the field. Suggestions on the best knot to attach heavy leader to the swivel?
Old 09-08-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
After trying several of the knots listed, I've fought the Albright knot to be the easiest for me to tie plus it shouldn't be bad in the field. Suggestions on the best knot to attach heavy leader to the swivel?
Palomar
Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Willow leaf, ford fender..... 4 feet of steel with a worm at the end. Trout love it.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:04 PM

Water clarity and whether or not there is sunlight when you fish are the biggest determining factors. Steel is fine fishing deep, murky and/or any other low light conditions or periods. Big Pike readily eat gaudy looking wire three way rigs with blades on them and such under the ice with plenty of time to look it over first so a leader is no hindrance under similar conditions anytime of year. When the sun is high, clear water, shallow water, or any other conditions where fish can see easily, could be spooky, go stealthy as possible, use Fluorocarbon Leader. Fish to the conditions. Same goes for upsizing or downsizing your presentation or using colourful and flashy or subtle and dark!
Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
Advanced Clinch knot works fine, just wrap it less then you would smaller lines.

I use 7 wraps on all my lighter lines and braid. Usually around 5 wraps for 20+ lb fluoro, 4 wraps for 50+ and haven't tried 80 yet but you might need to step down to 3 wraps for it. I have tied up to 300 lb mono using the advanced clinch, one of the most versatile knots just have to change the number of wraps you use when tying heavy lines(3 wraps minimum though).
Old 09-09-2017, 03:29 PM

Surgeons knot works fine for me, seems to work well for different diameter lines as well.Have a few tied this way...no issues.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Palomar is a good knot as well.