Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 AM

Default Folding Trailers: Good or Garbage?

I need a small trailer to haul my waterfowl gear. Funds are limited and so is space. I see these folding trailers for a reasonable price. Are they any good? Thanks in advance for your feedback. Appreciated.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:42 PM

They looked interesting but I didn't end up getting one. Seemed weird to buy them sight unseen. Let us know what you find out!

By the way, I'm trying to sell my trailer. Just need more posts before using the B&S section. Kijiji ad is here...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utilit...ationFlag=true
Old 08-30-2018, 03:26 PM

I followed one out of the landfill on the weekend. The thing bounced and rattled like crazy, and the guy was doing the speed limit, 30km.
A neat idea if space is limited for storage, but if you can push it through a gate into a yard for example, why not a regular cargo trailer then?
Old 08-30-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I followed one out of the landfill on the weekend. The thing bounced and rattled like crazy, and the guy was doing the speed limit, 30km.
A neat idea if space is limited for storage, but if you can push it through a gate into a yard for example, why not a regular cargo trailer then?
I new house. No alleys. Regular size gate.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:40 PM

Poorly built. Great concept, but if you plan on using it for what most people use garden trailers for (anything and everything as required), it won't hold up over the long haul. A friend owned one and basically had to rebuild the thing after a couple of years.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:58 PM

They're entry level price and entry level quality.
I've yet to see one that is really well made with good materials.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:12 PM

How about one of those trailers that are designed to be pulled behind a motorbike? Not sure if capacity would suit your needs. The width of one of those should fit through a typical gate.

School should be in pretty soon. Maybe ask at the local high school if they can put something together for you. Get a narrow axle from PA and get something put together that can carry a long skinny box that meets your needs.

Just spit ballin'.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I need a small trailer to haul my waterfowl gear. Funds are limited and so is space. I see these folding trailers for a reasonable price. Are they any good? Thanks in advance for your feedback. Appreciated.
Have you ever given thought you downsize your dekes to silo’s and shells? I can fit a crap load in the back seat of my f150 leaving the box free for blinds, birds and forage.
My ultimate plan one day is to get a enclosed and pack her full, but I’m in the same boat with limited space/funds.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:57 PM

Had one for years and hauled motorbikes and quads on it. solid and sturdy if you use locktite and heavier plywood to stiffen it. Drove at 100-110 km/hr loaded no problems for 100s of km.

Sold it as I used the truck bed all the time, but they work.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I just sold mine last week - nothing wrong with it but I just didn't use it and the wife didn't like it taking up space on the driveway.

An earlier post mentioned they rattle loudly. Yes, unloaded this thing lets you know where every hinge and joint is, and there's lots of them. Loaded down a bit its quiet.

Overall, it was a good trailer when used. Great for hauls to the dump. Took hunting gear out a few times. The trailer is rated for 55 MPH max - so highway can be done but you'll pack bearings every year. If you're going to be on long hauls and into rougher roads / offroad I'd recommend something with better tires and more robust axle.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:19 AM

This has been helpful and stopped me from buying one. Thanks, guys.