Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
We have "safe injection sites" for illegal drug use

You can smoke pot

But god forbid you crack a beer in a park while camping or while walking in a park.

Idiotic, archaic, and about time it changed.
I just started hearing commercials on the radio where people are finding used needles in their yards and elsewhere and they tell each other how to deal with them. That was never a big issue before the legal injection sites.
Not to mention the higher crime rates in the neighbourhoods around the sites.
That being said I totally agree with relaxing the campsite ban. People just have to be held responsible for their own actions
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
I just started hearing commercials on the radio where people are finding used needles in their yards and elsewhere and they tell each other how to deal with them. That was never a big issue before the legal injection sites.
Not to mention the higher crime rates in the neighbourhoods around the sites.
That being said I totally agree with relaxing the campsite ban. People just have to be held responsible for their own actions
So they shoot up in the sites and throw the garbage outside in peoples yards? Or people that never shot up heroin are now doing so because they have these sites? Pretty sure there is less dirty needles floating around out there because of the sites.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
So they shoot up in the sites and throw the garbage outside in peoples yards? Or people that never shot up heroin are now doing so because they have these sites? Pretty sure there is less dirty needles floating around out there because of the sites.
As I said they never had these commercials before. Not sure if that was a big problem before but it seems to be now. It would seem that maybe the junkies are braver now that the sites are basically condoning their behaviour.
I would think that a junkie would be less concerned now, whereas people out camping with their family and having a couple of drinks around the fire aren't going to bother anyone
Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
As I said they never had these commercials before. Not sure if that was a big problem before but it seems to be now. It would seem that maybe the junkies are braver now that the sites are basically condoning their behaviour.
I would think that a junkie would be less concerned now, whereas people out camping with their family and having a couple of drinks around the fire aren't going to bother anyone
Lol.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
There is WAY more needles lying around since the safe consumption sites have become a thing.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
There is WAY more needles lying around since the safe consumption sites have become a thing.
Is there more junkies nowadays?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 AM

It’s about time, in a lot of places around the world you can drink in public places, Canada for that matter is very conservative, even in Europe you can take your child to a pub for food and drinks. I remember as a kid I went with my parents to pubs were they smoked and drank and it was all okay.
Adults just to need to behave like adults, drink in moderation and all is fine.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 AM

We've got to find a way to thread the needle here. I want to be able to have a drink while camping, but there is more chance of my weekend being ruined with large groups of drunk people. When they are downtown at a bar, they don't bother me and my wife at home in the suburbs. In a campground? There is a lot more potential for trouble. I remember there used to be lots of reports of campgrounds turning into complete freak shows when 2, 3, 5 sites were full of drunk young people treating the campground like a bush party.

So lift the ban, but enforce properly. Considering how difficult it is to plan a stay at some parks, if your time there is getting ruined, that degree of frustration could lead to something ugly.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:45 AM

About time, and if some yahoo's are abusing this, call the RCMP or the camp warden.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
We've got to find a way to thread the needle here. I want to be able to have a drink while camping, but there is more chance of my weekend being ruined with large groups of drunk people. When they are downtown at a bar, they don't bother me and my wife at home in the suburbs. In a campground? There is a lot more potential for trouble. I remember there used to be lots of reports of campgrounds turning into complete freak shows when 2, 3, 5 sites were full of drunk young people treating the campground like a bush party.

So lift the ban, but enforce properly. Considering how difficult it is to plan a stay at some parks, if your time there is getting ruined, that degree of frustration could lead to something ugly.
The park guys liked the ban because it was a tool that easily allowed them to deal with the azzhats. You have alcohol? Get out, and they would toss them. Now I can see lots of repeat visits and warnings, who likes to deal with drunks? Hopefully it works out, but there was a reason for the ban in the first place. Even with the ban in effect, if you kept your nose clean I never saw a problem with a drink in your trailer.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I don't have that answer.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
About time, and if some yahoo's are abusing this, call the RCMP or the camp warden.

Probably two more reasons why 5be law was enacted. Hey what the hell. I'm sure the cops and campground supervisors have nothing g better to do anyways.:
Old 05-18-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
More meth heads, way worse than junkies
Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Easier access to needles. Makes sense. Yes, they’re going to get them anyways, but not nearly as many.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post

I have noticed in places where open alcohol is allowed, it’s not a big deal. So people don’t go hog wild over it. Have you noticed an immense amount of weed being smoked? Me neither.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Easier access to needles. Makes sense. Yes, they’re going to get them anyways, but not nearly as many.
I buy needles weekly (diabetes) wish i got them for free. Suppose i could just lie and say its for shootin junk. $4.00 for 10 of them at any drug or grocery store.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I buy needles weekly (diabetes) wish i got them for free. Suppose i could just lie and say its for shootin junk. $4.00 for 10 of them at any drug or grocery store.
Claim your illness make's you a victim and demand financial satisfaction!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
Post some proof please.

Just a heads up, they don't take the needles out with them, the waste stays at the injection sites.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:08 PM

I’d like to see some changes to AGLC when it comes to lottery licenses. Why not let a 4-H club run a raffle for a side of beef or a $1,000 cash prize without the governments involvement.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:28 PM

https://www.mironline.ca/insite-vanc...down-the-hole/
BC certainly hasn't had a decline in drug use or overdose deaths since safe injection sites came on the scene. Overdoses have gone way up since fentanyl came on the scene, and overdoses from non fentanyl dope have remained pretty much the same. Deaths have gone from 183 in 2008 to 1489 in 2018. Somehow it doesn't seem that safe injection sites are educating or discouraging intravenous drug use, death by fentanyl doesn't seem to be a deterrent. I think safe injection sites are being used as a safe place to inject where they feel safer should they have an overdose. They have a babysitter to monitor and enable their drug use. Legitimizes their addictions and enables them to continue it safely.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
More meth heads, way worse than junkies
Fentanyl is the drug of choice ! Safe injection sites are used to save peoples lives that would otherwise overdose on the streets without anyone around to administer Naloxone.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Fentanyl is the drug of choice ! Safe injection sites are used to save peoples lives that would otherwise overdose on the streets without anyone around to administer Naloxone.
What a sorry-ass state the world is in.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
What a sorry-ass state the world is in.
yup