Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 AM

Default Grizzly @ Elbow lake

I backpacked in there this week. I was down at the lake getting water for the dishes and not 100 yards away is this grizzly on the main trail. He starts ambling north towards the Tombstone part of the valley and I am so intent watching the grizzz, that I dont see another flyfisherman farther down the trail. When I do, the bear is about 150 yards from him and I started yelling to get his attention. Now others are joining me yelling and he hears us. I start banging my two pots together and I think the fisherman now spots the bear. The guy puts his pole and gear down, walks sowly out of sight around the bend, and then I see him just running through the trees. The bear took a dip in the last bit of lake and then continued into the first meadow and started digging roots. All turned out well, and I never did get to hear the story from the perspective of the fisherman. I bet the bear was within 50yards when he started making his escape. My wife got a quick picture with our digital from where we stood. Bear is at the bottom of the scree on the trail and fisherman is in the scree near the waters edge by the tall tree.... back turned just before starting to put his equipment down. Sorry for the small image, but I could not get a bigger picture to attach.

Oh yah... fishin was slow, but fun as always up there. Caught a few brooks on green bodied Elk Hair Caddis #14 or #16 seemd to do well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elbow Grizz resized.jpg (125.2 KB, 580 views)

Last edited by gulogulo; 06-30-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 AM

Cool story, I'll bet that guy had to change his shorts after that little run. Probably a good thing the grizz didn't have any cubs in tow.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Default slow?

I'm not sure what you mean by slow as always. I've always had steady action up there. 20 and 30 fish days, using a small black and white Len Thompson. We call it the "K-country B&W", because we always have luck using them. Have seen bears up there as well.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdapres' View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by slow as always. I've always had steady action up there. 20 and 30 fish days, using a small black and white Len Thompson. We call it the "K-country B&W", because we always have luck using them. Have seen bears up there as well.
meant that the fishin was slow that day..... but still had fun as always.... I have been there when it is really good and catch 20-30 a day too.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Cool story. Same thing happened to me a few years ago on Rawson. I was on a float tube and yelled at some hikers who were walking toward an adult and adolescent griz but couldn't see them. The hikers must have thought I was an idiot, because they ooked at me funny and kept walking, and around the next bend they came face to face with the grizzlies (about 50m away) The whole group froze at the same time.... Then the adult reared up and the all the hikers did the "panic squat"... ready to run but not sure where. Thankfully the bears decided to head up the hill.

Pretty good entertainment from the comfort of a float tube. Wish I had a camera like you did.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Im one of the many who have had bear a experiance camping at elbow!
One morning i crawled out of the tent and was sitting outside on the edge of the tent pad making a cup of tea, looking at the trail past our site, When this "blonde" black bear comes strolling along just as relaxed as could be! it stopped right at the end of the little trail going past our site (25 feet from where i was sitting!) and all the while im thinking (OHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAP) but it just looked at me and kept strolling. Scared the living bejeezus out of me but it also gave me a new respect for these beautiful yet dangerous animals

Also when you see such a weirdly colored bear the first thing you think is: WTF? Polar bear?

Thats just my closest bear encounter..... Yet
(anyone got tips on the best lures for a spinning set up?)
Jordan
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM

(anyone got tips on the best lures for a spinning set up?)
Jordan[/QUOTE]

Probably a good idea to wait til spring.... I know I am a smart ass! Ultralight gear with 4lb test is what I would use on that lake though...
Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 AM

I was up there in may this year, there was a posting of a grizzly in the area, when I got up to the lake there were a few campers just leaving and I was the only one left up there, I fished for a few hours and then got really fraky as I was the only one left up there, well I didnt take to long to head back to the truck, Iwas fishing right where that griz was.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Default Griz

This bear was still wandering the area the last week of Nov. Guess nobody told him it was sleepy time!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DragonSlayer View Post
This bear was still wandering the area the last week of Nov. Guess nobody told him it was sleepy time!
There was signs of a grizzly when i was there in late september! Is there no plan to relocate the bear to a location safer for it and the public? seems like the conservation officers might be neglecting there duties.....
Old 12-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderness Craftsman View Post
There was signs of a grizzly when i was there in late september! Is there no plan to relocate the bear to a location safer for it and the public? seems like the conservation officers might be neglecting there duties.....
Why are they neglecting there duties , I ve seen 6 different grizzlies there this past fall and one was in the parking lot !!! Its bear country , if your worried about them dont go !!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Why are they neglecting there duties , I ve seen 6 different grizzlies there this past fall and one was in the parking lot !!! Its bear country , if your worried about them dont go !!
Sorry that wasent really what i meant, my point was is there is a grizzly that is living near the elbow lake campground it should probably be relocated! i have no problems with bears and i did not mean to bash conservation officers i was just making an observation. Futhermore i am not scared of bears and dont think every bear passing through should be relocated but as i understand bears usually establish a territory and stay there for some time?

Just clairifying. sorry if my previous post was rude or offended anyone! im not trying to be an expert or anything just stating my opion

Tight lines!