Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Default new to elk hunting! tips?

hey im 16 and getting into elk hunting. i bow hunt whiteys and want to try my luck on elk. 0 knowledge of it so anything is helpfull! (calling, decoys, scents, LOCATION, any tips are great!) thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 01:27 PM

you'll be lucky to get a location from an online forum...and if somebody does give you one expect some company...there is most likely a reason they gave out the location

grab yourself some videos...id recommend the full of bull series from rocky jacobson and crew....great public land hunts with one of the best in the world.

talk to people and read these forums...a wealth of information already on here you can find using the search function.

in the end there is no better teacher than experience....get out there and get skunked...you will figure it out LOL
Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Check out Rockie Jacobson's elk calling tips on youtube. Then call or visit on line buglingelk.com and order some of thier calls. In my opinion the calls they sell are excellent sounding...espicecially the bully bull grunt tube. I was just recently pointed in thier direction and took the jump to diaphram mouth calls and am impressed as hell. Just ordered a big package from them a couple weeks back, it came in the mail 1 day after I left elk hunting so I havent tried it on the elk but wow they sound great.....cant wait for next bow season for elk.

One tip that a newbie needs to learn always is not to over call. Order/rent some elk hunting videos and you can pick up a fair bit of knowledge from them. Theres lots to learn when calling them...pre rut, mid rut and post rut, they speak a different language at different times. I recently learnt that many of the calls we have been making out there are in fact challange calls. It is likely that many bulls have been rounding up the cows and taking off when we let er rip. always start with locating calls, and build the agression up in the answering bulls voice.....then work him and move in, or work him until hes ready to come fight you.....or do the other thing that they do to cows...I think most areas are currently mid-end of the rut.

Good luck out there.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:35 AM

thanks il definitely look into these calls. no point in calling after the rut eh?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowguy101 View Post
thanks il definitely look into these calls. no point in calling after the rut eh?
You can still locate them after the rut with calls. But they aren't gonna come running in to you. You're most likely gonna have to go after them.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets

Tags
bow, elk, tips