Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Default .17hmr scope suggestions......

Just bought a savage 93r17 bvss, and need a scope. Range of target distance will be between 50-150 yards. Budget is around $150-$200. I was looking at the Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36 ao, made for .17hmr's, but I was hoping to have some more options. Can any of you suggest this or any other scope for my gun. I checked out the Vortex Crossfire in a 4-12x40 ao......junk. Not even close to the quality to a cheap Bushnell. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 AM

Your budget probably precludes getting anything too high end... But I would suggest looking at the Pentax Gameseeker scope. I have a fixed 4x on my BL-22, and it is really nice for $100, definately all I needed on that rifle. I think a variable in your power range can be had in that $200 range.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 AM

B.S.A. makes one called the sweet 17. Think its about the same deal as the bushnell, but I haven't checked it out that closely. I have the bushnell on my
.17. At first I hated it, took me awhile to get used to it, but now I really like it. Good out to 150 yds. +.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 AM

look at the redfield revolution...good bang for your buck....great warranty
Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 AM

I have Bushnell Banners on my rimfires, 4x12x40AO on the SR22, 4x16x40AO on the 455. Both were priced well under $200.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
B.S.A. makes one called the sweet 17.
This is what I have on mine and I've been happy with it. A 17 hmr is flat shooting anyway but it has a bdc adjustment that seems to work well. One complaint that I've heard in the past is that it's hit and miss for getting a good scope. I don't know how true that is being that I never had a problem with mine.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 AM

I have Nikon Buckmasters on mine. Excellent scopes for the bucks.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks guys! Looks like i might be leaning towards the banner. What do any of you think of the new nikon prostaff 3-9x40 bdc 150, made for a rimfire. Apparently it has the bdc reticle made just for a .22. Can this be used for a .17hrmr?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This is what I have on mine and I've been happy with it. A 17 hmr is flat shooting anyway but it has a bdc adjustment that seems to work well. One complaint that I've heard in the past is that it's hit and miss for getting a good scope. I don't know how true that is being that I never had a problem with mine.
I too have a Sweet 17 on mine and have never had a problem and am happy too. It is what it is though, not an expensive scope and you generally get what you pay for.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Friend of mine got a used Savage with that scope on it, and it was a POS, wouldn't hold zero, the bdc adjustment was arbitrary and totally inconsistent. I got him a nice Weaver Grand Slam to put on it, and he has been shooting the lights out to 300 yrds with it since. Don't like the BSA.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 PM

Have a look at Hawke scopes very good quality for the money and a lifetime over the counter guarentee got mine from Wolverine Guns in Red deer or go online
Old 11-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Which Hawke scope did u get?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Panorama ED 3*9 got it on my .223 10 mil Dot reticle, google some reviews they have a good rep good quality glass I will buy another when i get my 270
Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Go for higher magnification to get to the rounds true potential on sometimes small targets (gophers, magpies, etc).

I got a 2007 simmons aetec 4 x 14 x 44mm side focus on mine and I find it adequate.

Stay away from that front bell AO crap in IMHO.

Not the best scope on the market but in your price range, decent optics, and mine has held zero and functioned flawlessly after being bounced around in the truck for the last 5 years.

Must have got a good one.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM

After owing a 17hmr with a 3-9 bushnell rimfire on it I would recomend something with more power and better quality. When the gun is able to hit gophers out to 200+ yards a cheap rimfire scope really holds it back. Honestly get something thats to 14 magnification.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 PM

i just bought a 2.5-10x42mm for my .17hmr. Hope i didn't underscope with all the comments i'm reading on this thread!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM

My 17HMR wears a 4.5-14x44, as ground squirrel heads are small targets at 150 yards or more.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 PM

I have a Vortex Crossfire 3.5-10x50 on my .17hmr - I don't find it to be a POS at all. Great clear glass and holds zero just fine - I'd buy one again without a second thought.

My only regret is I'd like just a little more magnification for gophers.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM

man... just when i thought i had it figured out.
Then so it looks like 10x is a bit low. The next step up would be 4x16 or 6x20 right? But then would 4x or 6x be a bit too much for 50yard targets?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by encalibur View Post
man... just when i thought i had it figured out.
Then so it looks like 10x is a bit low. The next step up would be 4x16 or 6x20 right? But then would 4x or 6x be a bit too much for 50yard targets?
nope, at 50 yards the lower power will be just fine.
Cat
Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 AM

Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess i should be looking for something at least with a 4-12X mag.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 AM

WSS has the 3200 4-12x40 on sale for $310. It might be more than you wanted to pay, but it is more scope than those that sell new for $200.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 AM

Yes I was looking at that scope and Cabelas in the States has them on sale for $200. I was thinking of shipping it to the Montana Shipping Outlet. I wonder if anyone has bought a scope in the states and shipped it close to the border on the states side.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Yes I was looking at that scope and Cabelas in the States has them on sale for $200. I was thinking of shipping it to the Montana Shipping Outlet. I wonder if anyone has bought a scope in the states and shipped it close to the border on the states side.
Here is what is involved to legally export/import a scope from the USA into Canada.

Quote:
Here is what must be done inorder to obey the Import/Export laws of Canada & The U.S. for those who wish to order Rifle Scopes from the U.S.

Importing & Exporting into Canada

The rules have changed for exporting firearms parts into Canada. We must now get export authorization for shipping both barrels and scopes to Canada. With barrels we are required to get an export license from the U.S. State Department. In the past Canada was exempt from this requirement but we now must get the license as we do with all other foreign countries. With scopes we are also required to get export authorization but it is through the Department of Commerce.

Before we are able to apply for an export license the end user (the purchaser) must get import authorization from the Canadian government. Individual purchasers may get this authorization on their own or to avoid the paperwork you may place an order through one of the importers listed below. Here are the steps to get that paperwork:

The document is an International Import Certificate issued by;

Export Controls Division (EPE), Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
Export & Import Controls Bureau
P.O. Box 481, Station "A"
Ottawa ON K1N 9K6

STEPS:

1. Obtain the paperwork from above agency
2. Complete and return paperwork
3. DFAIT will issue import paperwork
4. Importer submits paperwork (originals or certified copies) to U.S. exporter
Being caught exporting a scope out of the USA without following the legal procedure is a federal offense. If you are caught illegally taking a scope out of the USA, your scope will be confiscated, and you can expect to be banned from entering the USA, and being put on the no fly list( you can't fly over US airspace, as in traveling to Mexico).
Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathlight View Post
Then what, mail it to yourself or have someone mail it to you?
I have heqrd horor stories about just those scenarios and would not want to take a chance on bringing a scope across the border to save a few hndred bucks.
it could cost you a lifetime of hassels.
Cat
Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathlight View Post
If you don't know already, it's illegal to export a scope from the US without the proper export permits. Trying to save a few bucks on a scope is not with the risk of being on Homeland Security's radar for the rest of your life. US Customs also sometimes checks cars leaving the US, it's not really worth the risk you're thinking about taking.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
US Customs also sometimes checks cars leaving the US, it's not really worth the risk you're thinking about taking.
US Customs is the least of your worries, Homeland Security is much more diligent, and less tolerant, and they conduct random spot checks on the US side of the border.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM

i have a cabela's pine ridge tacical turret scope on my 17. it is 6x9x40 it works well for under $200. it comes with mutlpal turrets for difrent calaber's.
http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Hunt...uctId%3D752238
here is a link to it.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 PM

POS = ? (i've googled the hell out of this one but none of the definitions that came up makes any sense)

to shoot at 300 yards, what would be a comfortable magnification? Would 10x suffice? 14x just enough? 20x overkill?

what you'd give up with higher magnification scopes is field of view right? or is it that a 3-9x at 9x would give you the same FOV as a 6-20x at 9x (assuming both are say 44mm scopes)

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP with my greenhorn questions :P
Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
what you'd give up with higher magnification scopes is field of view right? or is it that a 3-9x at 9x would give you the same FOV as a 6-20x at 9x (assuming both are say 44mm scopes)
That varies from scope to scope, and a larger objective lens does not mean a larger field of view.