Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 PM

Dave you're clueless and blinded by what you preceive as the truth.

“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position,

The ATA was blind sided by a person we trusted in the office. From what I gather she had a gambling problem and used our funds to support it. Money was moved around to hide the trail etc. If you remember the ATA was without a building for sometime and with them starting to look deeper they discovered things weren't being managed the way they thought. An audit was completed and it was estimated that ~200k was missing. A file was started with the RCMP and with all fraud charges it was an up hill battle. A civil claim was even raised but the defendant claimed bankruptcy..... well you can guess it she got off scott free. While that is in the past. Believe it our not, it is what it is.

The ATA today, new directors, stronger vision and focused not to relive the mistakes of the past. They cut the number of the accounts back and there is more eyes watching the accounts with key people having internet access to see accounts at anytime. They have updated and implemented new protocols to manage their funds.

When I started trapping on a new line I was told the ATA was a waste of time and corrupt. Well, I did a little digging and decided to make my own opinion and glad I didn't let the opinion of one person sway me. I called up Gordy to see what the ATA was about. He filled me in and I decided to support the ATA. I went to many AGMs, started a local, attend rendezvous even hosted a rendezvous and attended many other ATA events to show my support for the ATA and meet like minded people. Our local sponsors youth that take the course but they have to do something for it in return. That way they have more skin in the game.

On the mandatory course. In my option it's in the trapping communities best interest to have it as it enables us to prove to the government that we are professionals or at least trained in the most up to date methods. With snaring being the number one complaint the government receives. If the new trappers all get the same message and work within the AIHTS agreement and snaring best practices taught in the courses/workshops we will be in a better place then we are today with trained trappers, but this does come at a cost and someone has to pay and with any course it's the learner. The person that wants to learn the new skill. I chanllaged the exam and got one wrong but had to guess on a couple of questions since the exam had been photocopied so many times I couldn't even make out the picture of the mink. I then took the course and learnt much more then I did just taking the challenge exam. I know Dave has issues and thinks someone should pay for this other then the student. But the truth is it takes money to put on the courses, build the trapper ed program and maintain the equipment i.e. trucks.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" Benjamin Franklin

Gordy has done more for trapping in Canada then anyone. If you don't think so please name one or two people. He has pulled the ATA out of sure ruins and been there on his own dime and time to protect us. I thank him for that! His education facility was put together to train people and not to line his pockets. His personal cash donations to the ATA has been incredible not to mention the countless hours he spends on trapping issues. He's not on the board anymore but is a volunteer on the PIST team and the Alberta Outdoors Coalition.

The trapper legal fund will be a trust account and a list of whoever donates will be kept. I guess there is more to come on that. If you attend a local meeting you can be updated in person. If you don't care to donate or make it to a meeting that's up to you.

Sourdough, the past is the past and we were stung,but the ATA has learnt a hard lesson which they never want to learn again. Please let it go and look to the future.

Doug and Brian thanks for your commitment to the ATA and I'm glad we can see a future with the ATA.

Dave I'm sure you'll have something to say......