Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-05-2024, 11:13 AM

Default New vs Used Firearms

A couple of days ago, I had a friend asking for recommendations on a hunting rifle for a co-worker. He had already decided on a 7mmremmag, and was asking me to recommend a brand and model. I recommended a Vanguard or a T-3, and then I did what I normally do, and checked the Prophet River consignment and used rifle listings. I found a like new Vanguard Range Certified, listed at $1050, and informed the fellow, that being a consignment, he could make an offer. Minutes later, he had purchased the rifle for $950, which is the listed price for a base Vanguard with molded plastic stock. So by purchasing a rifle with only a few rounds fired, he now had a rifle with a much better stock, that had been actually proven to provide sub moa. Coincidentally, I found a Vanguard RC in 7mmremmag, for a friend on the Prophet River consignment listing, a few years ago, and my friend has been totally satisfied with the rifle. If you know what you are looking for, you can still get much better value with a used firearm.
Old 10-05-2024, 11:50 AM

I agree - I buy lots of used, so many in excellent shape. You can buy a higher model, lots of guys will leave scopes and rings, slings, cases. You just need to know the value, as I have seen the opposite used, where a new firearm is equal price...
Old 10-05-2024, 12:13 PM

So many "big game" rifles are carried far more than shot. And the bigger they are, the less they are shot and even carried. Most of them will last several lifetimes.

Recently I ran across an absolutely mint Weatherby Mark V Lasermark for about $1900 with Leupold rings. I think maybe, perhaps a whole box of ammo was fired through it. It was absolutely stunning, and if I didn't recently buy a couple new rifles (well one new, one used, another scope, dies, and components....), I think I would have taken it home. Probably normally closer to $3000 used, and I'm not sure I want to look up the new price...

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-05-2024, 01:02 PM

And yet on another forum, someone has just started a thread complaining about the prices of used firearms... you can't please everyone!

I agree with the OP, you just need to be looking out for value, and it's to be found. Obviously not every used rifle is going to be worth the cost, but there are certainly many out there, like the one you found for your friend.

I've purchased the vast majority of my rifles on the used market, and plan to continue to do so. Partly because I like the history of firearms and find more interest in older models, but also because there's often a lot of hidden value in the form of mounted scopes, slings, and other accessories.

A sweet spot for value, if it's your interest, is in higher end custom rifles --- those usually cost a considerable amount to purchase bespoke, but sell for 50c or better on the dollar on the used market.
Old 10-05-2024, 01:33 PM

Prophet River's consignment has a LOT of nice guns at very good prices. I bought a pristine, 3 year old, Anschutz 1710 off there this spring for considerably less than any listed on AO or CGN. I have posted a couple of threads about it here on AO. Great shooting rifle for about 60% of a new one. There are still lots of good deals, just have to keep an eye out.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=429433
Old 10-05-2024, 01:47 PM

Buddy of mine had the same thing with a 300 RUM. Guy who bought it new couldn’t get it to group worth a darn so sold it for a fraction of what it cost thinking it was a defective rifle. Matt scooped it up for like 300$ looked in the barrel and was a ton of copper fowling. Cleaned it and now shoots 3/8” groups with it.
Old 10-05-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Prophet River's consignment has a LOT of nice guns at very good prices. I bought a pristine, 3 year old, Anschutz 1710 off there this spring for considerably less than any listed on AO or CGN. I have posted a couple of threads about it here on AO. Great shooting rifle for about 60% of a new one. There are still lots of good deals, just have to keep an eye out.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=429433
I always check that Prophet River consignment list first, I have purchased several firearms for myself there, and I have found even more for other people there. They sold over 30 firearms for me as well, I had quite the credit built up, but I used almost all of it in store purchases, and paid no consignment fee. It's so much easier selling with Prophet River handling the payments and shipping, and people that won't buy from a private individual, except face to face, will buy the same firearm through Prophet River, because there is no risk of a scam.
Old 10-05-2024, 11:14 PM

I just bought a used, but new in box, original packaging, unfired, never had its bolt in it, Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 7mm rem mag, from a dude on Gunpost , for $1900 shipped, and he even through in a new in packaging Harris Bipod.

Now if i could find a Weatherby Talon in sale in 257wby, or a used low round count one , id be a happy man, before i get one from the store full price.......althought i found a veeeeeery nice used low round count Accuguard in 257wby, then can buy the Talon in 6.5PRC !!!

No problem with used minty rifles here... allows to buy more or spend more on Optics.
Old 10-05-2024, 11:34 PM

I have only ever bought one rifle new, a CZ in 9.3x62. Used rifles are just fine if you know what to look for. And I have owned a few.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-06-2024, 05:44 AM

I have see more than a few posts on here and other forum where guys will literally say "I couldn't get that rifle to shoot, or it just wasn't right, so I sold it". Vehicles and rifles, get moved for reasons that the buyer is unaware of. I am pretty leery of used, if you get a chance to shoot it or really look it over and know what you are looking at that is different, but buying used without shooting it for me is a no, unless I plan to re-barrel it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-06-2024, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I have see more than a few posts on here and other forum where guys will literally say "I couldn't get that rifle to shoot, or it just wasn't right, so I sold it". Vehicles and rifles, get moved for reasons that the buyer is unaware of. I am pretty leery of used, if you get a chance to shoot it or really look it over and know what you are looking at that is different, but buying used without shooting it for me is a no, unless I plan to re-barrel it.
I have yet to purchase a problem firearm used, but I tend to only buy very low round count firearms used. If it shows any wear or abuse, I don't buy it. Not all firearms are sold because of issues, many are sold because the owner bought something new, and isn't using a firearm, so they sell it. Some people never keep a firearm long, they buy it, try it, then sell it, and buy something new. Other times, people like myself downsize and sell off a large number of firearms. And sometimes people just need some extra cash. If the firearm is what I want and it looks as new, or close to it, I will take a chance if the price is right.
Old 10-06-2024, 06:35 AM

Quote:
99% of the firearms I buy or have bought are used. I’ve yet to find a lemon. I’ve also sold some pretty nice rifles.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-06-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I have bought quite a few new guns over the years, four or five of those brand new guns needed to go back to the maker to be fixed. This is over a lot of years but I do remember One JM Marlin that needed a new barrel, one Savage new barrel, one Browning need a whole new gun, could not be fixed, one O/U needed serious action work and one Remington, head spacing. Never bought a used gun that I couldn't get to shoot well without going to extreme measures like a new barrel. There are far more guys that can't shoot than guns that can't. That said, I hand load and I bed the vast majority of my guns, and that has helped a large number of them shoot much better.

I have sold a LOT of guns over the years, never sold one with any kind of defect, if I had a gun with a defect, the defect would have been disclosed, or fixed before being sold. Like a couple of others have said, low round count in great shape usually works out fine.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-06-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2024, 08:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

So many deals out there on great rifles just gotta stay on top of it a small they go quickly.
Picked up a beauty marlin a few years back half what it was worth that was a safe Queen.
Also if you advertise a rifle below what it’s worth sometimes who ever shows up you can flog a few more above the going price
Had a fella show up to buy a rifle, I put it on the kitchen island, we got to talking and then I brought out a few more....off he went to the bank to pull out some more money and he said I will face the music when I get home

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have bought quite a few new guns over the years, four or five of those brand new guns needed to go back to the maker to be fixed. This is over a lot of years but I do remember One JM Marlin that needed a new barrel, one Savage new barrel, one Browning need a whole new gun, could not be fixed, one O/U needed serious action work and one Remington, head spacing. Never bought a used gun that I couldn't get to shoot well without going to extreme measures like a new barrel. There are far more guys that can't shoot than guns that can't. That said, I hand load and I bed the vast majority of my guns, and that has helped a large number of them shoot much better.

I have sold a LOT of guns over the years, never sold one with any kind of defect, if I had a gun with a defect, the defect would have been disclosed, or fixed before being sold. Like a couple of others have said, low round count in great shape usually works out fine.
Far more that can't shoot versus can?

Probably!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-06-2024, 08:33 AM

Sometimes the best rifles have alot of miles on them. They used that one gun all their lives because it worked so well. No need to try something else.
I used to also pick up deals on used magnums that kick.
Sometimes broken guns you used to be able to buy for nothing and then fix.
I've had alot of old guns and I was always able to make them shoot accurately with handloads. I kind of like the challenge in it. Antiques are getting harder and more expensive to find but the ones in obsolete calibers you can find in better condition. Example a 1895 Winchester in 35 will be alot cheaper than a 86 in 45.
Only new guns I would want are reproductions of old guns .
I've owned 1000s of guns in my life but I only bought 2 new.
Old 10-06-2024, 08:40 AM

I haven't bought a new shotgun in about 25 years , but have bought and sold hundreds of used ones.
I have also fixed a pile of new rifles and shotguns that had small issues from the factory or gunshop, but the owner did not know what was wrong with them- stuff like action and scope base screws in the wrong holes or not tight, barrels bearing on the stock channel, action parts binding , etc.

There is an enormous amount of very fine shotguns and rifles out there on the used market, the key is tp knowxwhat you are looking for and what you are looking at!
Cat
Old 10-06-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
99% of the firearms I buy or have bought are used. I’ve yet to find a lemon. I’ve also sold some pretty nice rifles.
Ditto. I have picked up some real gems for way less than half their value by being in the right place at the right time. I have bought a couple excellent rifles that “won’t group” and found loose mounts or a filthy barrel. Like Chuck I shoot left handed and my choices are more limited, but that’s probably a good thing!

Last edited by brewster29; 10-06-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2024, 09:46 AM

I’ve always bought new guns. My used ones were inherited. But I walked out of my local gun shop the other day with a next to new used semi auto shotgun. I had every intention of buying a new one but had no problem taking this used one cheaper once I saw it had hardly been used and came with the original box and accessories.
Old 10-06-2024, 11:08 AM

In my experience new guns can come with as many problems and defects as used ones. Problem guns come right out of the factory gate that way. They don't suddenly develop bad barrels, out of spec machining, headspace problems, crappy triggers, bad bedding, ejection/feeding problems etc. I've had just as many brand new guns with problems as the used ones I've bought.

The vast majority of guns that don't shoot at least good enough for the average hunter is either the scope itself, rings and bases loose, or poor bedding.