Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 PM

well any update on the new Kuiu tents guys
Old 06-22-2014, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post

Upgraded my rifle to a forbes 7/08 with leupold 3-9x33. Total weigh will be under 6 pounds slinged and loaded.
How well does that forbes shoot I've read and heard mixed reviews.

the main thing i'm changing this year is i'm adding another partner to camp.
My 12 yearold boy its going to interesting to see who gets to shoot a ram him or his mother.

also added a kimber 260rem to the gun collection so it will probably make its way into the pack this fall.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
well any update on the new Kuiu tents guys
I've had mine out now a few times. Second setup a pole section broke. Not sure if it was a faulty pole or what. There was a small nick further down the broken section so I guess it's possible. Contacted them and they are sending another one. I would recommend making sure you have a couple spare repair pieces and some black tape. Also had an issue with how the fly attaches to the tent body. The connection from the tent body to the fly is not stitched at the fly, but glued, and has started to separate from the fly. I had to do a repair on it in three spots so I also did the entire tent while I was at it. I also sealed all the fly seams at the same time. The fabric is definitely light and durability will be an issue I believe on both the tent floor and fly. Definitely follow the setup instructions and stake out the guy lines when you set it up. And be careful with the poles. Overall I'm not impressed and wouldn't buy another one unless they made a few changes.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Also received a steripen as a gift this summer. Light and easy to use. I'll be packing it all the time now.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 PM

I have used my kuiu mountain star 2p a few times now in the mountains and have had no issues whatsoever. Poles are all great and everything attaches tight and makes for a very rigid body when complete and everything is staked down properly. I would recommend it to any of my hunting buddies. Hopefully it stands up to what I will be throwing at it this season!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Looking forward to hearing how the kuiu tents work out for guys this season. Anyone try their sleeping bags? I'm thinking f adding them to the list for next year.

This season I've picked up a few new goodies. Got the leica 1600b range finder, seems to be a pretty good piece. I bought it assuming I'll use if for bow hunting as well, but I heard someone mention that the inclinometer doesn't work under 70 yards, but I need to contact a leica rep to confirm that. Or climb a tree and figure it out
Also picked up a kuiu Yukon rain jacket which I'm really happy with. Haven't had it in a real heavy down pour yet but the cut and build quality seems great, pretty breathable too.
Ordered a siriu t-025x tripod which should show up in a week. And lastly picked up a kimber montana in 270wsm, which I'm pretty happy with. Shoots 150 VLD within an inch at 100 yds, need to get a little more trigger time before the season starts though. That light of a gun really let's you know when you've been careless with your shot!
It's been an expensive year darn sheep bug!

BDub,
You'll be happy with the steri pen. I have the Adventurer model and love it. Carry a spare battery with you, as the one I got that came with it didn't last very long. I'm not sure why guys carry filters, I've never had much trouble finding clean water in the mountains. And most filters aren't fine enough to remove Giardia, which is really the only reason I use it.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Default Pack

Well I went with the Sky 5100 for a pack, now looking at upgrading my rain gear probably go with kuiu but not sure yet. Found out I won't have a job after August so hopefully I will get a curly one or at least be a part of someone getting one. And if my wife doesn't understand me hunting all fall I may have some gear forsale come November.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:58 PM

Just received my tigoat 6.5 with carbon pole, shaved off 8 pounds with new tent and wood stove for tent, will see if there is more to update.

Thanks for all for your input, great to see what others are running with, and thoughts on gear.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Banned

Default cooking

What are you going to cook your supper on.
Most people I know with the round stove carry a gas stove to cook with.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:09 PM

With the ti goat stove what do you use to cut wood to length?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Bob dustrude quick saw is the ticket for processing wood for the ultralight stoves.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Banned

Default ultra lite

Depends what you call ultra lite.
I think I have an ultra lite wood burning cook stove/chimney and I do not carry a saw or if I do it is a 4" folding saw.
I cook my meals using something less than 1 lbs. of wood.

Last edited by chimpac; 07-27-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 PM

The stove setup we run complete weight is 3 pounds. Heating a 6 man tipi in cold weather with a 4 inch saw would be never ending job. Not something I am interested in. You want to process enough sizeable wood for a few days so you can get back behind the spotting scope. A good bucksaw is an asset. Weighs exactly one pound. But if it works for you that's perfect. Have a good one. Rob
Old 07-30-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
With the ti goat stove what do you use to cut wood to length?
I use a "what a saw", at 15.45 ounces with 2 wood blades and 1 meat blade, all housed in the handle , it has worked for a few years now for Us

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prods/whatasaw.htm
Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 PM

Added a Global Star sat phone & extra battery 8.9oz
Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 PM

Added a inreach with gps
Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 PM

I picked up a Tines Up adapter to mount my TG-3 camera to my spotting scope. So far I've just been playing with it taking pictures of cows and what not 1/2 mile away or so. So far so good, can't wait to get the set up in the mountains.