Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you wear hearing protection when hunting ducks and geese?
Always 26 17.81%
Never 76 52.05%
Sometimes, if I remember. 44 30.14%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 AM

Default Hey Migratory Bird Hunters- ear protection

All duck/geese hunters I grew up with never wore hearing protection when hunting. What do the duck hunters today do?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 AM

Huh?

Seriously, I'm thinking protection this year. Son swung over my head at some passing ducks last year and nearly deafened me. Made me reconsider how I should be shooting near my dog too. I voted "never" but I'm thinking that should change. Different for big game hunting, where most of the time I'm out I never take a shot.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Huh?
what? Couldn't hear me?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 AM

Electronic muffs. Pretty comfy, and you can hear EVERYTHING going on around you. Can often hear wingbeats of a group of teal before you see them. Also can mount a gopro or similar on the headband if you like to record hunts
Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDucknut View Post
Electronic muffs. Pretty comfy, and you can hear EVERYTHING going on around you. Can often hear wingbeats of a group of teal before you see them. Also can mount a gopro or similar on the headband if you like to record hunts
I second that. You can amplify the sound so you can hear better and the loud gun shot sound will be dampened.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM

I am going to start wearing my electronic muffs when hunting in a blind with anyone else, however when I am alone or hunting upland.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 PM

Default Huh? What?

I've had custom fit insert type earplugs for years, they work great, are not in the way, and cost the same or less than a good set of muffs. Get some, you won't be disappointed. Also most places keep a mold on hand in case you lose yours.

Take a kid hunting, and someday they'll take you hunting
Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM

X27

UOTE=NSDucknut;2505686]Electronic muffs. Pretty comfy, and you can hear EVERYTHING going on around you. Can often hear wingbeats of a group of teal before you see them. Also can mount a gopro or similar on the headband if you like to record hunts[/QUOTE]
Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Always wear ear plugs. I already have one bad ear so I have to what what little hearing I have left. A few years ago I got the custom molded ones paid for by work and I like them. Might go with an electronic pair this year though.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM

I cannot hear the birds or my calling when I wear plugs or muffs. I will try the electronic ones though I think. I looked into getting custom electronic plugs last year at the SCI show. Pricey but I think it may be well worth it in the end
Old 07-30-2014, 01:40 PM

ALWAYS Use ear plugs now when Waterfowl hunting
Old 07-30-2014, 02:14 PM

never have, actually bought electronic ear muffs a couple years ago, tried using them once, just don't like it. Been sitting in my bag ever since. guess I will be deaf one day, but till then I call it selective hearing
Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 PM

I use North plugs, but also use the cheaper foam plugs too.
Cat
Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM

I hunt waterfowl with electronic muffs. I usually have one of my daughters with me (all under 14) so I figure I should promote good health and safety. Like someone else mentioned too, you can hear the wing beats as they come from behind you for a good distance.

I do go without when hunting large game as I don't find the single shot as bad as blasting off multiple rounds in a blind.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:45 PM

I never used to . I just had my hearing test and I am right at the level to be classified as deaf and needing hearing aid in my left ear and my Right side is not too much better. I have been using plugs now for the last few years and find it helps a ton. Wish I would have earlier. you do miss a few birds with plugs in but it is not worth it.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I never used to . I just had my hearing test and I am right at the level to be classified as deaf and needing hearing aid in my left ear and my Right side is not too much better. I have been using plugs now for the last few years and find it helps a ton. Wish I would have earlier. you do miss a few birds with plugs in but it is not worth it.
The Norths have a valve in the Nube, which shuts off when the soundwave hits them, but you may want to look at the Walkers.
I have them but don't use them much, you can amplify the normal sound and they will also shut off at a certain decibel.

Something to be said about hearing protection, been running boats and shooting in full bore, smallbore, and trap and skeet competition since i was very young.

Been working industrial construction for over 40 years as well and was always preached to about hearing and eye protection.
My hearing is normal for my age.
Cat
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 PM

Default A learned habit.

I started hunting/shooting 24 yrs ago. Zero protection was worn then.

I got into a trade, learned what I had previously not known, and changed.

Eye-pro and ear-pro, the current standard at any job site is my personal standard now as well.

It gets tons of unflattering comments from some of my hunting partners........but only the ones over 50. The rest of us know better.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 PM

i'll try the electronic muffs i got this year... if i can hear the birds and eliminate the shot, then woooohooo
Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 AM
Banned

Default muffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDucknut View Post
x100
Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Rarely... Duck call doesn't sound right with plugs in

No, I'm NOT "trying out for Duck Dynasty"...
Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 AM

Thanks all for participating in the poll. I started duck hunting at age 11. I did a ton of it in my 30's. My wife and a friend hounded me to get my hearing tested a few years ago. I did....and was told I had hearing loss that was associated with firing a long gun. I went and got a second opinion, and was told the same thing. I've been wearing hearing aids for 4 years now. (I'm 58) Oh wow...the sounds I've been missing. I can hear high pitched sounds, like birds chirping, I can hear deer walking and bird wings overhead. Sounds I heard before are crisper and sharper. I don't have to go back and double check what someone said on TV. It sucks to have to wear hearing aids, but it does improve the quality of the outdoors. Oh...and I found out I'm not as stealthy as I thought I was, sneaking up on mule deer.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:16 AM

been using protection for thr last 4 years. i regret not using for the previous 20. Like nube I have severly damaged by hearing in my left ear to the point that I'm almost deaf. It's frustrating to try and converse in a room with lots of background noise.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 AM

Never worn protection, I've never heard of the the electronic muffs, may have to look into it a bit
Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 PM

I don't wear an ear ring when duck hunting,,, so why would I want ear ring protection?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:15 PM

Since electronic muffs are reasonably affordable now I use them for hunting. Never used to.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Mostly do, if there are others in the same blind, or close by in laydowns, hardly ever for upland or if hunting alone.
Foam plugs and electronic ear plugs. batteries always seam to be flat on electronic ear muffs, take a spare set.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 PM

what was that ...lol...
Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

Never have worn any kind of protection.....and have had my ears rung by partners on several occasions over the years.
One of the STUPIDEST things I've ever done,way back in the day when I knew everything as an 18yo,my buddy and I spotted a deer way out in a hayfield as we were walking in down the edge one morning.He wanted to shoot this doe,so in my youthful brilliance,I knelt in front of him,him kneeling behind me,and let him use my shoulder as a gun rest for his 30-30.....DOH!!!
OMFG,I thought I blew my ear drum,that hurt like hell and my ear rang for hours!!

.....but it was a helluva shot for an iron sighted 30-30 and he got the goddam deer though,lol.
...don't try this at home kids!!

Last edited by grinr; 08-20-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 PM

Hearing protection has been an if-I-remember thing for me. Having had some ringing after a couple of duck hunts last year, though, I've picked up some electronic muffs. Now I just need to remember to take them with me! Maybe need to attach them to my marsh jacket, or something.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor