Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Default New Backpack Mountain Hunting Gear

Anyone trying out any new gear this year to make things lighter, easier or better? Would love to hear of any changes anybody else is making.

I am making a couple changes this year, replacing my old thermarest 3/4 length pad with a nemo 3/4 length pad. Shaved 4.5oz off with that.

I've been in need of a new tent for this season so have done a bit of looking at some different makes and models. I wanted a good three season, freestanding, durable, weather proof lightweight shelter to replace my older tent. I came up with the following choices.

Msr Hubba nx 1 / 2lb 7oz. 340$
Msr Hubba nx 2 / 3lb 7oz. 380$

Big Agnes seed house 1 / 2lb 2oz 280$
Big Agnes seed house 2 / 2lb 9oz 350$

Mtn hardware super mega ul 2 / 2 lb 2oz 450$
Mtn Hardware super mega ul 1 / 1 lb 13oz 350$

Kuiu mtn star 2 man 3lb 450$
Kuiu mtn star 1 man 2lb 5oz 400$

Hilleberg Rogen 2 man 3lb 15oz 750$

Weights are minimum weights, no stakes and are from what I can dig up on the internet. Prices are in US bucks. After looking at the first three tents I wasn't to sure how they would handle tough conditions. The Hilleberg would be bombproof no doubt, but pricey. I ended up ordering the Kuiu 2 man. Looks pretty good on there website and promo video so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Total weight savings will add up to a couple pounds or so for those two things. Cheers

Last edited by bdub; 04-27-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

looking at tenzing carbon fiber pack and new fat bike, probably go with the specialized fat bike.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
looking at tenzing carbon fiber pack and new fat bike, probably go with the specialized fat bike.
That looks like quite the pack.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:46 PM

I use the mec inflatable mattress it rolls up to the size of a water bottle but I'm not sure on weight? That's what I've been using for the last seven years. It's about 2-3" thick when inflated, lot nicer to sleep on in my opinion and it was cheap! I have the big Agnes solo tent super light and easy to set up, got it online and it's free standing. Haven't taken it out hunting yet but have camped in it.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 PM

Sometimes you can shed some weight by taking a two liter pop bottle for water instead of a big camelback? I find that every year I always take a little to much food, but I've got it pretty much figured. Good practice is to make note of what you didn't use on a hunt and rembering not to bring it on the next one hahaha!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Anyone trying out any new gear this year to make things lighter, easier or better? Would love to hear of any changes anybody else is making.

I am making a couple changes this year, replacing my old thermarest 3/4 length pad with a nemo 3/4 length pad. Shaved 4.5oz off with that.

I've been in need of a new tent for this season so have done a bit of looking at some different makes and models. I wanted a good three season, freestanding, durable, weather proof lightweight shelter to replace my older tent. I came up with the following choices.

Weights are minimum weights, no stakes and are from what I can dig up on the internet. Prices are in US bucks. After looking at the first three tents I wasn't to sure how they would handle tough conditions. The Hilleberg would be bombproof no doubt, but pricey. I ended up ordering the Kuiu 2 man. Looks pretty good on there website and promo video so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Total weight savings will add up to a couple pounds or so for those two things. Cheers
Let me know what you think of the kuiu tent. I'm looking at a Hilleberg Akto myself. That and a quilt from enlightened equipment and I think I'm pretty much set.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 PM

I'm using a Kuiu 7200 this yr ..... Replacing MR 6500
Sawyer mini water filter .... Replacing Sawyer squeeze
Kuiu Super down..... Replacing Sitka Kelvin
Kuiu gators .....Replacing Sitka StormFront gators
Kuiu bino harness .... Replacing Sitka bino bivy
And ordered a Ti boot knife

I'm also looking at changing out my boots

Probably will change more out before Aug but that's all I can think of now
Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Let me know what you think of the kuiu tent. I'm looking at a Hilleberg Akto myself. That and a quilt from enlightened equipment and I think I'm pretty much set.
I was kind of debating the Akto as well. The weight was good. Sounds like a roomy one man. The price was about 500$, not to bad, but I wanted something freestanding and preferred a two man over the one man just for the little bit of extra room and the versatility of using one tent as a solo shelter as well as when I'm hunting with someone else. I'll post my thoughts on the kuiu once I get it.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
I'm using a Kuiu 7200 this yr ..... Replacing MR 6500
Sawyer mini water filter .... Replacing Sawyer squeeze
Kuiu Super down..... Replacing Sitka Kelvin
Kuiu gators .....Replacing Sitka StormFront gators
Kuiu bino harness .... Replacing Sitka bino bivy
And ordered a Ti boot knife

I'm also looking at changing out my boots

Probably will change more out before Aug but that's all I can think of now
I love my pack BPH.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 AM

New boots so far. Went with hanwags alAska gTX. Other than that I've got my gear figured out pretty good. Might add a pair of camp booties to the mix. No big horn tag for me this year but we've got a few sheep hunts planned for late season and off to Azerbaijan at the end of October for one hell of a crazy mountain hunt.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Have you checked out Tarptent? We are considering getting the 4 man...
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Hey howdy! new to the forum, but live for mountain hunting.

I'm real curious to hear how people like the kuiu tent. It looked good in they'r video, I'm curious on how it holds out the water after a few days of rain. Iv always took a 10x12 tarp, but a tent is sounding more comftorble every year lol.

This year I upgraded my boots, from Irish setters to the lowa mountain gtx, retiring my old bushnell binos and jumping into a set of Swarovskis. This year ill also be putting most of my mountain house meals in ziplock bags, and keep one of each kind in the package, then just wash out and re use. Will save space more then weight, but also less garbage if a guy don't have a fire to burn it. The ziplocks double as camp water containers after they'r empty

Also looking at upgrading to some kuiu or sitka pants vs the carheart's I normally wear. Sure get heavy when they'r wet. But $$ is a factor.

Cheers
Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 AM

I'm using a Kifaru Maga tarp with the annex sewed in n modified
Dropped almost 2oz off of it, I can't remember the weight but it's
Under 800g 2 guys with bags n gear n still room for a backpacking stove
Old 04-28-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker9 View Post
Hey howdy! new to the forum, but live for mountain hunting.

I'm real curious to hear how people like the kuiu tent. It looked good in they'r video, I'm curious on how it holds out the water after a few days of rain. Iv always took a 10x12 tarp, but a tent is sounding more comftorble every year lol.

This year I upgraded my boots, from Irish setters to the lowa mountain gtx, retiring my old bushnell binos and jumping into a set of Swarovskis. This year ill also be putting most of my mountain house meals in ziplock bags, and keep one of each kind in the package, then just wash out and re use. Will save space more then weight, but also less garbage if a guy don't have a fire to burn it. The ziplocks double as camp water containers after they'r empty

Also looking at upgrading to some kuiu or sitka pants vs the carheart's I normally wear. Sure get heavy when they'r wet. But $$ is a factor.

Cheers
I'm going the same with the mountain house food
But using a vacuum sealer
Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I'm using a Kifaru Maga tarp with the annex sewed in n modified
Dropped almost 2oz off of it, I can't remember the weight but it's
Under 800g 2 guys with bags n gear n still room for a backpacking stove
Kifaru makes excellent products. My current pack is a DT1. That was the best upgrade I ever did with my pack gear. Iv read alot of good reviews on they'r mega tarp
Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm going the same with the mountain house food
But using a vacuum sealer
Hey great idea!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:13 PM

Trying out a tigoat 7.5 tipi with large wifi stove. Total weight will be under 7 pounds and sleep 3 or 4 in a pinch. Only 3.7 pounds for tipi early season without stove. Being able to dry out gear and sit around the stove in comfort for later season hunts will be priceless

Ditching the sleeping bag and trying out a enlightened equipment 10 deg quilt. I'm a rodeo sleeper and hated my mummy bag

Putting it in a tigoat raven bivy to keep it clean and dry in the tipi. Will be good to bivy out in under a siltarp in a pinch. Will go good with my thermarest xlite. Total weight for 10 deg quilt, pad and bivy is 2.7 pounds. Late season I will switch to my new xtherm pad.

Upgraded my rifle to a forbes 7/08 with leupold 3-9x33. Total weigh will be under 6 pounds slinged and loaded.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Another guy here who goes floorless for a Shelter. The various tipis, tarp tents and other floorless shelters are hard to beat for wieght vs sq ft in space. I will never go back to a standard tent again.

Also going with a quilt this year, like many who sleep hot and move when they sleep, I hate the mummy bags.

My total sleep system is under 5 lbs, Floorless Shelter, Borah bivy, quilt, and pad. I take the quilt, bivy, pad everywhere I go since it wieghts so little and gives me the option of spending the night under the stars if the situation requires it.

Can't go wrong with Kifaru gear, their packs and shelters are awesome, purpose built with the backcountry mountain hunter in mind!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post
Have you checked out Tarptent? We are considering getting the 4 man...
Just on the internet. Never had a look at it in person. Kind of a pain trying to figure out what you want to spend your hard earned bucks on when you can't have a good look at one. Would be nice to have them all in one spot to compare them, that's for sure. Would like to hear how you like the Tarptent if you end up,getting one.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 PM

Last year switched to the Havalon and half a dozen blades vs my old fixed blade and saved another 5oz. Just have to be a little more gentle and more careful when handling it.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 PM

I've also pre ordered a Kuiu 2 man tent and can't wait to try it out along with some new attack and tiburon pants!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 PM

Default Steripen

Any of you guys ever use a steripen for water purification? Any particular model or similar product better than the others? Thanks
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Good read boys nice to read a thread that isn't just a bunch of BS. I've picked up a new jet boil for cooking and upgraded my stock on my finnlight with a mcmillian Edge. Im in need of a new pack but its just a matter of which one to go with. Thanks for the good info keep it coming
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM

I've used the Steripen, so far so good. Spent 2 weeks in NW British Columbia last fall where 3/4 guys I went with have had beaver fever in the past 3 years and I never had an issue with the Steripen.

Got my new Kuiu 7200 Backpack which looks great. It is so light it will be awesome. May try out one of the Fierce Ti Edge rifles this year. Got a new Bivy sack and will be doing lots of solo sheep trips this year both for spotting and hunting this fall.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 PM

Very good thread! I have horse sheep hunted a fair bit and am deciding to go back pack hunting instead. (still not sure if that's a good idea). Looking on going on a 10 day hunt and found a pack I like but its only a 5500 main compartment. Is this large enough?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashheap View Post
Very good thread! I have horse sheep hunted a fair bit and am deciding to go back pack hunting instead. (still not sure if that's a good idea). Looking on going on a 10 day hunt and found a pack I like but its only a 5500 main compartment. Is this large enough?
It really depends on your gear
But the whole idea is to put a sheep in there too, so depending on how many trips you want to make and how much weight you can carry per load
And if you have help
Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 PM

For the people waiting for the Kuiu tent
I did some reading on it, and it's using Easton poles
I have the Easton tent that you can't order in Canada, and the pole are
Well built, light n strong, over all it looks like a well thought out tent
Can't wait to see the reviews
Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Hey BPH do you have to be especially careful with carbon fibre poles not to ding the sides on rock and that sort of thing?

Thanks for the thoughts on the steripen Hunting Alberta.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Hey BPH do you have to be especially careful with carbon fibre poles not to ding the sides on rock and that sort of thing?

Thanks for the thoughts on the steripen Hunting Alberta.
Any deep scratch will be a weak point but
They have a capped end to protect where they meet the ground
I wouldn't be concerned about it, my Trekking poles are carbon fibre and are very strong, and are full of deep scratches and still going strong
Only broke one by falling off a log into it but I'm sure a alum one would have broke the same....

2nd lightest trekking pole made.... gossamer gear
The lightest are Ti Goat but the grips are junk
Old 05-23-2014, 07:51 AM

Default Kuiu tent

Quote:
Just received mine yesterday. Set it up in the yard. Overall seems quite well built and thought out. The poles are nice. Very light and seem to be well made. Setup is easy and quick. They could have made it a bit quicker by colour coding the hooks and pole inserts, but no big deal. Like the dual vestibules, enough room as well to easily put your pack and boots in there. The fabric seems pretty light weight but is supposed to be pretty tough. Time will tell I guess. The body of the tent clips to the fly so it is all one piece as you unpack it, but it does separate if you want to use just the fly. Haven't played with that setup yet. Compared to my older, heavier two man, this thing will be like living in a palace when I am hunting solo and will be fine for two guys, especially with the dual vestibules. Lots of room to sit up. There are a couple roof vents you can get to through the tent body for extra ventilation. The fly sits up off the ground probably 5-6 inches. That should be good for ventilation but might be something to consider in drifting snow I guess. The bathtub edge also comes up quite high, probably a good 8 inches, so that will help in those conditions. I am heading out for the first trip of the season next week so will get a better idea of it then.