Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Default How many draw tags get awarded and never purchased

Does anyone have the stats or know where to look?....

Should we move towards a system where mandatory tag purchase is required within a reasonable period of time or the tag gets redrawn?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM

They can hardly administer the current system.

While it is a great idea. People can hardly wrap heads around this system!

LC
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 AM

I drew a coveted mule deer doe tag in a far away zone I've never hunted. I will make a few posts about not looking for a honey hole but a good spot and then never go. Can you mark me down for one?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Banned

Im 100% for tag cost being automatically billed as soon as you are drawn.

And ive looked for the stats but so far have come up empty handed.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post

Should we move towards a system where mandatory tag purchase is required within a reasonable period of time or the tag gets redrawn?
Now data on would solve a lot of bickering. According to some here, abuse is rampant, though how they would know is beyond me.

The second thing to consider however, is whethe ESRD already adjusts for any situations where someone draws but then doesn't purchase. Let me explain. Let's say ESRD knows there is a 20% draw but no purchase rate. In a particular WMU they determine that 80 animals can be harvested. Knowing the non-purchase rate, they set the draw at 100 animals, knowing aprocximtely 20 of the available tags won't be purchased, leaving the 80 they originally intended to be harvested. IF they are already doing this, then forcing people to purchase a license is pointless, and may in fact decrease hunting opportunities for others in cases where the person now has to purchase a license but still doesn't hunt it or whatever reason.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

While it is a great idea. People can hardly wrap heads around this system!

LC
speak for yourself I don't find our draw system difficult to understand at all
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Was very easy this year to apply!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post

Yes.

I think so. Along with having to purchase a Wildlife Certificate BEFORE entering the draws.

To answer your title question, 18% of draw licences were not purchased in 2012.

These unpurchased licences are applied towards the success rate for that particular draw. Unpurhased licences = lower success rate = MORE licences issued to achieve Allowable Harvest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Draw licence sales 2012.jpg (85.3 KB, 206 views)

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Yes.

I think so. Along with having to purchase a Wildlife Certificate BEFORE entering the draws.

To answer your title question, 18% of draw licences were not purchased in 2012.

These unpurchased licences are applied towards the success rate for that particular draw. Unpurhased licences = lower success rate = MORE licences issued to achieve Allowable Harvest.
Absoluty should have to purchase the WIN before the draw IMO.

wow 18% were not purchased!!!! Now thats a lot of wasted opportunity!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
LOL.... I have no issues with it, but judging by some of the threads here there are some who have lots of issues...

LC
Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Yes, and no.

A high number of un-purchased licences INCREASES the future opportunity through higher licence numbers issued due to low success rates.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Yes, and no.

A high number of un-purchased licences INCREASES the future opportunity through higher licence numbers issued due to low success rates.
Do they give more out for the lottery tags also?????? Once you are drawn the cost of the tag should be charged ASAP...i know it used to be this way and why it changed is beyond me...Pretty simple if you don't want to or have doubts about being able to hunt the tag don't apply
Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Now data on would solve a lot of bickering. According to some here, abuse is rampant, though how they would know is beyond me.

The second thing to consider however, is whethe ESRD already adjusts for any situations where someone draws but then doesn't purchase. Let me explain. Let's say ESRD knows there is a 20% draw but no purchase rate. In a particular WMU they determine that 80 animals can be harvested. Knowing the non-purchase rate, they set the draw at 100 animals, knowing aprocximtely 20 of the available tags won't be purchased, leaving the 80 they originally intended to be harvested. IF they are already doing this, then forcing people to purchase a license is pointless, and may in fact decrease hunting opportunities for others in cases where the person now has to purchase a license but still doesn't hunt it or whatever reason.
Your on to something here Oko,
ESRD allocates the number of tags required to achieve management harvests. It may not be a fool proof system, but it should alleviate this issue somewhat.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Do they give more out for the lottery tags also?????? Once you are drawn the cost of the tag should be charged ASAP...i know it used to be this way and why it changed is beyond me...Pretty simple if you don't want to or have doubts about being able to hunt the tag don't apply
Well, ESRD should if the success rate is applied. However there can be other factors involved in deciding how many licences to issue, such as hunter density.

I can't recall Alberta ever charging for a licence once a person is drawn.
Maybe you were dreaming, or maybe I am?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

While hunting bison the F&W officer that registered my animal told me precisely what you just said. They know roughly the harvest rate(with bison they know exactly), plus the amount of unpurchased tags and they allow for that while calculating the number of tags.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...3&d=1406132386
Look at WMU 212 Antlerless elk, pretty obvious whats going on there...
I'm also surprised at 438 Trophy Sheep numbers.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 AM

I would love to see the model SRD uses to figure this out. Somehow I think there is a lot more of the old thumb in the wind than they care to admitt to.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...3&d=1406132386
Look at WMU 212 Antlerless elk, pretty obvious whats going on there...
I'm also surprised at 438 Trophy Sheep numbers.
wow 438 and 410 sheep surprises me, those tags should have deff been up for grabs if the winners didnt buy them!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Who cares if they bought the tag or not. They stood in line and waited to get drawn. Their loss if they couldnt be bothered to go hunt. Alot can happen in life to change peoples plans.
As for the sheep tags I think alot of them probably thought awesome I got a sheep draw! Then they found out they would have to climb a mountain and said screw it i'm not going.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Manitoba always made you pay for tag up front if not drawn the money was reimbursed
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
While hunting bison the F&W officer that registered my animal told me precisely what you just said. They know roughly the harvest rate(with bison they know exactly), plus the amount of unpurchased tags and they allow for that while calculating the number of tags.
If people actually dedicated themselves to hunts they wouldnt have to factor this in. Only the success rates. Would be alot easier I would think than trying to guess how many wont buy their tag that year!!

How to they predict that that season they dont draw all guys that will hunt it? That would end in over harvest wouldnt it?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I would love to see the model SRD uses to figure this out. Somehow I think there is a lot more of the old thumb in the wind than they care to admitt to.
Not much of a model to be looked at.. Those are all hard numbers of available licenses and percentage purchased. Tags available are adjusted accordingly. And based on estimated or counted animals in a unit.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsZ7 View Post
If people actually dedicated themselves to hunts they wouldnt have to factor this in. Only the success rates. Would be alot easier I would think than trying to guess how many wont buy their tag that year!!

How to they predict that that season they dont draw all guys that will hunt it? That would end in over harvest wouldnt it?

Yes it could, or a hard winter, or high vehicle collision mortality, or high predation, or drought could wipe out their food sources, or . . . . That is why they survey and assess herd numbers and decide on proper tag numbers. They can also have a very poor hunter harvest and herd sizes can increase significantly year to year.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Yes it could, or a hard winter, or high vehicle collision mortality, or high predation, or drought could wipe out their food sources, or . . . . That is why they survey and assess herd numbers and decide on proper tag numbers. They can also have a very poor hunter harvest and herd sizes can increase significantly year to year.
Exactly so why have to factor in how many guys are wasting their time and applying for tags they aren't going to use?? They do not survey and assess all wildlife every year. Most occasions the set management plans for 5 or so many years then reevaluate and do counts. So why have to guess how many guys they are going to have hunting or how many tags they are going to sell and have money they will have for future studies and such. Tag profits should be a known factor and harvests should be set on what they want to kill by only factoring in hunter numbers not the 18% of guys that dont even buy the tag. 2-5% not buying a limited entry draw tag due to health, family or work commitment changes would be reasonable. 18% is really a slap in the face to management and other sportsmen and women.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:

They were probably too expensive.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
Not much of a model to be looked at.. Those are all hard numbers of available licenses and percentage purchased. Tags available are adjusted accordingly. And based on estimated or counted animals in a unit.
There has to be a model, population counts, ave hunter success, number of people who don't buy the licence would all be factors in the calculation. I would just be curious how they calculate the tag numbers for the current year.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:44 PM

It is the interest of government revenue to have all available tags purchased. As it stands now they are leaving 18% on the table
Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Just spitballin' here.

What about those that get drawn for a tag but find out afterwards (for whatever reason) that they won't be able to hunt that animal. Allow them to cancel their draw for the year, return to their original priority (prior to the draw application), and then that tag gets 're-drawn' so to speak.

Or....as soon as you get drawn, you get an email "do you accept" this tag, if yes, then give your cc and pay the piper, if not, then it goes back in to the pool.

Mik
Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 PM

I think that unless there are medical or unforeseen circumstances that draw is that persons to do what they wish.

The license to be purchased by said date or forfeited and returned to a pool of under-subscribed quota. Points accumulated lost either way.

Also would be great if the tag and licence got mailed out automatically after payment.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM

The numbers for 410 sheep, 438 sheep, and goat surprise me. I would have expected all of these to be 100%, in particular 438 sheep which was only 9/15 (60%)! Unreal..... I think you should have to pay as soon as your drawn. Use it or no as you chooset, but at least the money has been collected and (hopefully) used to better our wildlife.