Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 11:37 PM

Default Moose, WT, and Mulies in 246

Sooo... I finally got my antlered moose draw, along with a antlered mule draw, and in my own backyard of all places! (Not my first choice, but I'll take it!)

Most of my hunting has been in the 300s, (340/346, last few years), but I'm not sure what to expect to see around my neck of the woods where my draws are.

I've recently acquired an acreage on Glen Park Road, just south of Leduc, and there is a fair amount of farmland around, with my neighbor running oats this year.

Later in the year I might go around and knock on a few doors to expand my potential in the area, but it'd sure be neat to see some action close to home, where I can help mama watch over the brand new tyke.

Does anyone have any experience hunting the area, or have info on what I can expect to see for numbers?

Hopefully will have my antlerless tags filled in the 300s by the time November rolls around.

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Nobody? Really?

Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Yup, folk are reading you, with disbelief ... You say its in "your own backyard" man. Why are you scouting on the internet with only 30 days remaining? You should have a program in your home zone over time already, especially with species diversity like that. Its not like you live in a zone with just antelope, or up north on the territories border. How can you have no sniff whats goin on in your home zone if you are a hunter. Light em up and cover the ground. What else can be said, wow.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 AM

Hmmm...why am I scouting on the internet with only FOUR months to go? Maybe because I JUST moved out there...? I didn't ask for GPS coordinates of each animal...only what people who have hunted around that area, (featuring a much more concentrated human population that what I've ever hunted) have experienced.

I've had repeated success in the 300's, so the goal I'm trying to achieve with this post is whether or not I should even be concentrating on the area, until the tags I can fill in the 300's are taken care of.

I like how you assume that I've done no scouting of my own. Appreciate it.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 AM

Have family out that way.

Good deer numbers and some moose.

Hard to get permission being next to bow zone.

Good luck
Old 07-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Yup, folk are reading you, with disbelief ... You say its in "your own backyard" man. Why are you scouting on the internet with only 30 days remaining? You should have a program in your home zone over time already, especially with species diversity like that. Its not like you live in a zone with just antelope, or up north on the territories border. How can you have no sniff whats goin on in your home zone if you are a hunter. Light em up and cover the ground. What else can be said, wow.

Typical answer on this forum
Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the answer Steve. All I wanted.

Cheers!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM

I have hunted 246 for the past 40 years. There is a good population of deer and moose. For the mulies.. the valleys in the zone and straight south of your home by Wizard hold the mulies. The moose are thick around the south side of Wizard. There is lots of bush south of Wizard that holds moose. If people only knew. I have seen as many as 14 moose in one morning, actually during hunting season. (I didn't have a tag of couse.) Not sure where abouts on Glen Park road you are but there are moose within a mile of Glen park road along its length.

I might be able to give you some advice with farmers willing to give permission. PM me if interested.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets