Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 AM

Default Early Season Elk Hunting (Aug.25)

Hey all,

I was considering maybe chasing after some elk with my bow this year on opening day(aug.25) and was just looking for what calling strategies and what kind of luck others have had hunting elk pre-rut? I normally am hunting mule deer that time of year but since they went on draw i figured its better than sitting at home and waiting for Sept.1 to come around!! I've had luck hunting elk in mid September rut but am just unsure on whether to bugle or mainly stick to cow calls in the early season?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 AM

Default early elk

The earliest i have personally seen a bull come to a bugle was aug 28. Calling can work early or set up on a field edge. Bring a freezer if you go early or pray for cool weather if you are successful. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM

I would just use old cow chirp. Find the animals and go from there.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Last year we had the bulls rocking around the 26th I killed on the 28th. We used a locate bugle to find them and then got in on top of them and hit them with challenge bugles. The two we called on the night of the 26th both came in wanting to fight us. We just couldn't get clear shots. I think the pre rut with enticing a bull to fight is a sure way to bring him in close.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:50 PM

Right on! thanks for the tips. I agree that coming in aggressive may be a good theory seeing as the bulls are just starting to round up there cows for the rut. On the flip side i guess you may scare some bulls by being to aggressive and just cow chirping may make them curious enough to come in. Guess ill try a bit of both!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:13 PM

That's why you use a locate bugle once you get a response you match the bull your calling. Your not going to sound like a 350 heard bull when you get a response from a rag horn.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Last year opening morning we had a bull screaming at us. One of my hunting partners arrowed him 2 hours into bow season
Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 PM

The bulls are ready to go opening day. Killed more elk in the last week of august than any other time
Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 AM

Up north the earliest I've heard calling is sept 5.

Out west last week of September -- beginning of October.

But don't listen to me I just harvest cows; bulls either wind me or are shot by

other hunters in my presence.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 AM

If you want a big bull. IMO pre rut and second rut are your best chance. The big boys are getting hot and horny while the young ones are still smelling the flowers. They also will breed those cows that go in second heat while the young ones either split from the heard and bachelor up. It's very hard to get big bulls when the are surrounded by 30-80 sets of cows eyes.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Pre-rut

I have found the pre-rut kicks in earlier the farther north you are. In late August the Peace River area seems very active where Fox Creek it doesn't get active until early September.

Has anyone else found the same?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Banned

Ignore everyone on here... Before sept 1st just find a lick or wallow and sit and wait... Day after day. Success is as sure as puddin....

But if fairness everyone does have good info, they will be active and calling durning the early season. But they also frequent licks like no other.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
I have found the pre-rut kicks in earlier the farther north you are. In late August the Peace River area seems very active where Fox Creek it doesn't get active until early September.

Has anyone else found the same?

My areas up by GP don't get hot tell sept 5-12.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:46 AM

Mature pre-rut bulls are more interested in checking out who the competition will be for the girls, as opposed to wasting time with the girls.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 AM

Last year they were screaming for us sept 5-8th in central AB
Old 07-30-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Ignore everyone on here... Before sept 1st just find a lick or wallow and sit and wait... Day after day. Success is as sure as puddin....

But if fairness everyone does have good info, they will be active and calling durning the early season. But they also frequent licks like no other.
Good point. When it's hot finding a wallow or water source that they frequent is one of the best places to sit and wait. As they will go to it in the middle of the day when it's the hottest. On your average day they may just lay bedded held up in the bush till half he before dark.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM

The best bugling action I ever had was last week of August the bulls were active and checking each other out.They would call back and come in.

We called in several Bulls,finally a 350 class monster came in. I missed him unfortunately.

The weather that trip was cloudy and cool with light drizzle most days.

It was a mountain hunt in 430 back in the days when the Elk were still fairly plentiful there in early season.