Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Post Core lokts or not?

I'm looking to do some fall bear hunting this year and possibly elk later in the season. Just picked up a new .270 and a box of 150gr soft point round nose core lokts but my buddy is telling me it was a poor choice of ammo. What do you guys think, stick with them or pick up something different?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
I'm looking to do some fall bear hunting this year and possibly elk later in the season. Just picked up a new .270 and a box of 150gr soft point round nose core lokts but my buddy is telling me it was a poor choice of ammo. What do you guys think, stick with them or pick up something different?
Core Lokt Bullets have been around for a long time and have a pretty good reputation. I would have preferred a spitzer style, but as long as the range isn't too far, they will be just fine.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
If your gun shoots them well, I'd say there is nothing wrong with them. They say they are the deadliest mushroom in the woods. LOL.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Yah, I was hesitant to go with a round nose, $25 dollar box of ammo but most people seem to say good things and 150gr only come in the round nose sp. Always have that thought of "you get what you pay for" when you reach for the 25 dollar box and the hornady or noslers are right next to it.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:24 PM

I had a lot of issues with them in my 270. They would blow clean through deer at intermediate or close ranges. Didn't seem to have a lot of immediate stopping power compared to other shells I have used
Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM

Maybe thats not such a bad thing in my case? Ive never shot a bear before but I know that theyre still relatively thin skinned animals but even so, I imagine they have to be a bit more sturdy than a deer. My real worry is not getting enough penetration, but if they are sailing through deer...
Old 07-30-2014, 03:20 PM

Default They do just fine

For awhile that is all I shot was core lokts out of my .270, 30-06, .300, and so did my in-laws. They are a fine choice for the price. Sometimes I feel like people don't like a bullet because it didn't cost enough or the box doesn't look cool. As long as they shoot good with a decent group, your good. Anything going 2800fps will have enough to penetrate a bear so don't be worried about that. Hope my insight helps.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM

IMO,
For reg factory ammo my top pick would be 1) Rem Core Lokt 2) Federal (they use Speer bullets) and Win last.
I've used the Rem CL in my .303Brit, 30-30 and 30-06 when I first got into reloading. All bullets performed succesfully for me anyways.

I now use Barnes or cast pure lead.

Here's a link that might be helpful;
http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_bullet_guide2.htm
Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 PM

Of course they will work, given the constraints others have listed. But why constrain yourself? For only a little more you can get a tougher, more aerodynamic, flatter shooting, harder hitting bullet with better performance? Before I handed it to my son, I used Winchester XP3 ammo in 150g in my .270.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM

My experience has been to try out different brands to see what your rifle likes best. My Tikka 30.06 shoots unbelievable groups with Core Lokts. I think that whatever gets you on target is the best. The fact that it's a great price is a bonus.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:04 PM

Why bother, just shoot what your shooting now (assuming 130s) if it will take a deer it will take a black bear.

No need to over think it, the issue is not that complicated.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:49 PM

Shot those bullets for years and they worked great.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, another buddy of mine just offered me a box of hornady 130gr SST so i guess ill see which shoots better.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:02 PM

I use Rem Core Lokt SP or PSP in 180gr. in my 308 for years. Some times Win, & sometimes Federals. They were all dead on & most of the time they past right through. 60 yards or closer most every time.

Then last year I used a Hornady 165gr SST for testing & my rifle really liked them, & so I used them for hunting & they worked very well & they still passed right through. Fast though. I believe I paid $32 per box at Cabela's last season. (Not that price now)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
I had a lot of issues with them in my 270. They would blow clean through deer at intermediate or close ranges. Didn't seem to have a lot of immediate stopping power compared to other shells I have used
The closer the range, the greater the impact velocity, the more they should expand. If they don't expand enough at close range, they will expand even less, at longer ranges.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 PM

Very accurate out of my 250 sav.. Bullet performance not so great. For me, ill take a pass
Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Very accurate out of my 250 sav.. Bullet performance not so great. For me, ill take a pass
I just bought a box of corelok for my savage 99 in 250-3000, what was flawed in the performance?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The closer the range, the greater the impact velocity, the more they should expand. If they don't expand enough at close range, they will expand even less, at longer ranges.
Something to write down and remember.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:20 AM

It just seems weird that theres a significant amount of people who say that they have had terrible performance with CL. I get that even the best bullet will fail in a certain situation and stuff happens, but for one person to say that they dropped a moose and another to say that they had poor performance on a deer seems a little odd. And i get that theres different shooters, calibers and weights but still, maybe one caliber has more problems than another?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
I just bought a box of corelok for my savage 99 in 250-3000, what was flawed in the performance?
The last couple deer i shot with it, the bullet came apart like a V-max . Both body shots under 150 yds, hit a rib on the way in and basically exploded.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
It just seems weird that theres a significant amount of people who say that they have had terrible performance with CL. I get that even the best bullet will fail in a certain situation and stuff happens, but for one person to say that they dropped a moose and another to say that they had poor performance on a deer seems a little odd. And i get that theres different shooters, calibers and weights but still, maybe one caliber has more problems than another?
This comment is not directed to anyone who posted on this thread, but sometimes people blame poor shooting on their equipment, or base their opinion on one or two examples.

If used as intended, Core Lokt bullets will work just fine.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Default Jack O'Conner and plain jane 270 bullets

If the legendary Jack O'Conner did it all or most of his kills with a 270 plain Jane bullet (they were hot loads mind you), then you should have zero problems as long as you know your rifle and proper shot placement is #1.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Ya I found one bullet and it was perfectly mushroomed like you would want so I never could figure out why they didn't ave stopping power like I expected. Shot placement was good as well. I switched to the ballistic tip shells and seemed to work much better for dropping a deer in its tracks but you do get a lot more meat damage with those shells. I think the CL might be better suited for elk or moose (I was shooting a 270)

Thinking of trying the barnes or Hornedy GMX mono metal shells next. But ultimtly might switch back to the good old Nosler Partition. I think those have been the most reliable shell I have used in my 270 ever.

On a side note the CL have been the absolute best shooting round out of my gun. My 270 really likes them, thats why I was disapointed when I was having issues stopping deer in their tracks.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 AM

There is not one bullet on the market that performs 100% reliable as it is intended.
Even monolithic like the Barnes have had failures such as not expanding or turning sideways on the animal before they expand.
I know many guys who swear by core locts and hate silver tips, and same as the bronze Points, X bullets, Game Kings, you name it, there have been real bullet failures.
By real failures I am speaking of no expansion and the animal having to be shot with another round , and only a pencil hole where the first one went through.
A big splash with no expansion on the side of the animal and another round needed, total bullet break up with no penetration and another bullet needed .
In each case i have seen of REAL bullet failure the animal was recovered only because another shot was taken and it was found that the first was not a lethal shot even though it went where it was supposed to.

Cat
Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 AM

K...I normally use Hornady or Speer in my handloads...however...

Years ago I ended up with 10 boxes of loaded 300 Win Mag 180 gr factory Core lokts.

They shot so well, that I tried to duplicate the load..... since then I have shot 2-3000 rds out of 5 different 300 Win mags. Accuracy has been great in some rifles and exceptional in others.

I have shot, a few dozen White-tails, a few Mule deer, and a cpl of bears with them. On the few occasions that I have recovered the bullet, they had all opened nicely and they have all retained over 80% of their original wt and those that were recovered were quartering shots and involved bone.

Never have I failed to recover an animal that I've shot with them and never have they required a second shot!

Now, these were 30 cal 180's not 270 cal 150's but the comments seem to have taken a turn to cl's in general.

Note my comment...."I tried to duplicate the factory load". The trend towards "premium bullets" always gets my attention. Certainly bullet design has come a long way, but and I hate to say it (because it is redundent) , with proper placement what is a "non-premium" bullet going to do....explode on contact (sure), shed the jacket on its way through the vitals, pencil through the vitals....., or open and mushroom nicely to 2 1/2 dia. Sound pretty much like any of these would be fatal except for the cynical first example, although only the last is what I like to see.

Kinda make me wonder why I havn't tried core lockts in any of my other rifles....
Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 AM

When it comes to effectiveness of bullets on game, there are so many variables that there is no predictable performance. Where was the animal hit? Did the bullet touch bone? Did a stick or twig deflect the bullet? What was the muzzle velocity at impact? and on...and on...

I've used CL's with some success in the past, for whatever reasons I haven't used them in awhile. I was pretty happy with their performance when I've used them. I don't normally fall for the "premium bullet" craze, although I use them in some of my rifles because I've found a load that works.

I'd bet the ammunition you purchased will work just fine in your rifle. Good luck on your hunt.

-Craig
Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 AM

I tried Core-lokts years ago & actually bought out all of WWS's 264 140gr bulk stock #107415.
The accuracy is phenomenal (had to look it up, never use that word) in my 6.5 swede.

Neck shot slugs are not recovered, but here's a frontal neck hit recovered in the heart area.
A big 6x6 stalked in heavy hazel brush & coaxed to 30 paces.

Bullet weighed 110gr, elk still ran 40yd with churned up heart.

But selecting a cartridge on one anecdote is like adjusting your scope after one shot.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 AM

6.5x55
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6x6elk2011.jpg (13.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 AM

From what you guys are saying, it seems like i should have no problem with the CL and, to be honest, I have no desire to spend 60 dollars on a box of ammunition anyways.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
From what you guys are saying, it seems like i should have no problem with the CL and, to be honest, I have no desire to spend 60 dollars on a box of ammunition anyways.
Good decision sir. If you posted a thread here hoping for a definite answer...you come to the wrong place. There will always be critics. Those bullets will do just fine for you.