Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM

Hey everyone I'm 33 years old from Edmonton, and pretty new to hunting.... I grabbed a whitetail tag near the end of the season last fall but just hunted some land of a friend of mine and didn't get anything.

I have the tools, a decent 30-06 rifle with some good handloads worked up, and I wouldn't mind meeting some others perhaps with a bit more experience to learn with and maybe explore other hunting areas. I didn't do any draws this year so I'm just planning on general season stuff.. White-tailed deer mainly.

Anyway shoot me a PM if you might want to talk about this. Cheers,

Last edited by k-e; 07-17-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Any south african hunters near edmonton area?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 PM

New Alberta Resident. I have some experience in grouse hunting but would like to got for Whitetails. I have hunted Moose in the past in Norther Ontario wiht no luck. I would only have general tags for this year. Anyone willing to share some knowledge and let me tag along? I'm 23 and work for Service Canada in Edmonton.

Thanks for looking have a great day!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:23 PM

Default Duck hunting

Hi there!!!!! I live in the Calgary region and hunt big game in 312/406. Now I'd love got get into duck/goose hunting.
Hope there is somebody out there, who wants to help me.....
Would really appreciate it!!!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 PM

Last years plans for migratory birds mostly fell through so Ill try this again.

If anyone from the Edmonton area would be willing to let me tag along I'd be more than willing to pay my own way. I'm more than willing to help set up decoys, clean birds or whatever I have to to make the hunt successful. I have my own waders, shotgun, and lay down blind just looking for someone experienced to show me the ropes.

I'm usually at wing night on Wednesdays if your interested or message me here.
Thanks

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose420 View Post
Hey everyone,

Heres a little about me befor I get started. Im 24 years old, have had outdoorsman blood running in my veins ever since I was 6 when my grandfather taught me how to shoot and flyfish on his half section that he since sold . I enjoy going out on hunting/fishing trips even if I dont get anything its a joy to be out admiring the beauty of the forrest. I believe that getting an animal or fish is just a bonus and someone shouldnt be negative at the fact that thats what happens with hunting and fishing. It just drags down morale of others.

I own a few firearms currently and was into archery when I was younger going around two times every week-two weeks but sold my bow when I outgrew it around 5 years ago and never got back into it until now. Im planning on picking up a nice bowtech compound bow and practicing about twice a week like I use to. Im brand new to the hunting scene but have been around it my whole life with my uncles and grandfather. Ive been hunting now for two years (rifle only) but with no luck, just spoiled oppourtunities due to me bringing along the wrong company for a hunting partner. I have a few diffent camo patterns I wear depending on the time of season and have all my knives, saws ect and even picked up a meat grinder and plan to do alot of the processing myself.

Alot of people say im quite mature for my age since alot of my friends are alot older than me but I dont notice. Age is age but our personality doesn't change, we all stay young at heart right?! Ide really like to find someone like a few of my older fishing buddies that are 30+ years old that might consider passing down some hunting knowledge to an eager young hunter that loves to listen and rough it hunting the way it should be and not hunt by driving around a vehicle or atv ect. I love to go hiking and am in fit shape. Im a journeyman plumber that just currently got laid off and since have been finding myself out camping fishing and scouting alot lately but hope to get back to the usual mon-fri grind. XD

Anyways if you would like to meet up to go fishing or go shooting at the bow or rifle range (crown land) or even get a coffee to meet and get to know each other you can either message me on here or call/text me at 4037105579.

Tight lines and Happy Times.......

Cheers Cory.
Still looking for people to share some awesome adventures and hunts with around the Calgary area but will travel!

Last edited by greygoose420; 07-21-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 PM

Default Moose draw any one ?

Just butting this out there ,for those that got drawn for moose and need a partner give me a shout as I did not get drawn this year for moose.
First of all I live in NE Edmonton ,Age 54 ,have an atv ,2 wheel drive truck and camper but no trailer to haul atv ,but do have a game trailer.
Family does have a walk in cooler in Edmonton,and I normally butcher by own game .So If you got a moose tag ,I can get a Elk tag or what ever and we can go for a day or even a week .
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to Alberta and very new to hunting. Just bought my first recurve bow and I'm looking to go and bag some small game, something I can eat! Leaning towards squirrels and rabbits. If anyone knows any spots or owns property they wouldn't mind letting me play in or farmers who want some pest control,please give me some guidance. Thank you
Old 07-24-2014, 05:09 PM

Also I live in Edmonton
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Default hunting partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose420 View Post
Still looking for people to share some awesome adventures and hunts with around the Calgary area but will travel!
I'll call ya
Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM

Default Looking to learn the ropes of waterfowl hunting

Hi, fellow hunters!

I am a young hunter looking for some guidance towards waterfowl and upland. recently I have inherited my grandfathers rifles and his Shotguns I have been hunting for a couple years now. I am looking for someone to teach me the ropes of bird hunting. Either upland or waterfowl. I have always wanted to do a geese hunt and take a few geese home and enjoy. I own my own gear that I use during general rifle season. But I do not know what all I need for bird season. Is there any difference? But anywho, if you'd like to know more about me. Feel free to PM me and I can get into further details.

Cheers
Mike.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:42 PM

Hi all, I live in Calgary and new to hunting and would eventually like to go for big games. Can someone give me some advice how to get started? I have got the PAL and WIN. If anyone is going gopher hunting around Calgary area can you give me a shout?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Default waterfowl

hey everybody. I decided to post on the forum here to see if i could get lucky and maybe find someone who i can talk to about hunting waterfowl this year. I am 20 years old, but a very mature 20 year old. I would like to get into bird hunting this season. I would be able to supply my own fore arm and I do have my hunting license so no worries about that. send me a message if you're interested.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Default Mentor Needed Please

I am just getting into hunting . . . I do have my license and have taken safety classes but I need help with picking out a shotgun, I would like to get into bird hunting and possibly shooting some skeet as well. I am leaning towards an over/under but I would like some opinions.

It would be great if I could tag along to some bird hunts if possible as well, I need some gear but don't want to invest too heavily until I know this is something I want to do every year.

Any guidance would be appreciated please.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:42 PM

Default Call out to female hunters

Hello fellow huntresses. I'm putting out the feelers for a new hunting friend. My husband helped introduce me into the sport, and after a successful first year I am very excited for the new season coming. But as I'm still a beginner, I'm not confident enough to go out just by myself, and as my husband has his hunting trips with the guys, it would be great to have some girl time.

I have my firearms licence, my own 270 and a 300 if needed. I also have my own 12 ga since this September I'll be starting waterfowl. I'm located south east of Edmonton. If you're interested, send me a pm.

Now stop staring at my rack.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baskey1414 View Post
Looking for a fellow serious bowhunter or couple who would be interested in setting baits for spring bear next year. Someone who is willing to put in equal time and money in hopes of putting a mature boar on the ground. I'm not a selfish hunter I enjoy watching other people have succsess but can't stand guys who are all about themselves. The girlfriend bowhunts aswell and would also be putting in the time and money. Looking at baiting around the cold lake area but if you have a spot you favor I don't mind. Wouldnt mind having you come out and chase some velvet bucks in september with the stick and string if you were interested. If your up for what I'm proposing send me a pm. Thanks

Paul
Bump
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 AM

Default Edmonton area

Hey everyone! This will be my first year hunting. I'll be spending a lot of time up at my grandpa's in the Peace region. He has a trapline up there. I have a general deer and a bear tag purchased so far. I was hoping to find some one or some guys to tag along with for hunting around the area, learn the ropes. Coyote/Wolf hunting, upland game, waterfowl, helping pack game out or whatever else gets me outside putting the boots to the ground!

A little bit about me. I'll be 23 this winter, I live in SE Edmonton. I work full time for the city in transportation department, trying to become a firefighter. I'm a responsible firearms owner. I like to stay active; go to the gym regularly. The girlfriend and I are getting a lab puppy this weekend and would appreciate any tips for training it to be a hunting companion.
Thanks Josh!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 PM

Default New hunter

Hi everyone. I am new to hunting but very passionate about it. I have been preparing since November of last year. I have a compound bow I am proficient with and a 4x4 truck. I got all my priority points in and have been reading incessantly trying to learn as much as I can. I am in good shape and very eager to learn. I'm hoping to find an experienced bowhunter to show me the ropes to harvest all kinds of game. Thanks for your consideration.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koschenk View Post
Hi everyone. I am new to hunting but very passionate about it. I have been preparing since November of last year. I have a compound bow I am proficient with and a 4x4 truck. I got all my priority points in and have been reading incessantly trying to learn as much as I can. I am in good shape and very eager to learn. I'm hoping to find an experienced bowhunter to show me the ropes to harvest all kinds of game. Thanks for your consideration.
Forgot to mention, I currently live in Calgary but I am willing to travel. I grew up in the mountains and am no stranger to rough hiking.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

Default Moving from Australia to Lethbridge

G'day all,

My partner and I are currently in Australia but moving to Lethbridge, Alberta in early September, I've been hunting in Australia for many years and my partner has been hunting for around 3 years. Our target sepcies in Australia have been Quail, Duck, Rabbit, Hare, Fox, Goat, Pig and several species of deer. I am also interested in trapping, we trap wild dogs and feral cats in Australia.

We have both had the opportunity to hunt Black Bear in NS the past 2 years, I tagged a 500+Lb model in 2012 and my partner a nice 240Lb Sow last year.

We don't come empty handed, bringing with us a .270WSM, .308, .300WM, .375Ruger and .416Ruger. We have both already obtained a WiN and completed the on-line hunter accreditation, become members of LFGA and booked for our safety course in mid September.

I would be great to meet up with some local hunters to gain some local knowledge, perhaps some pointers on where we might find game and generally help us get started. Perhaps someone local may like to partner up with us?

Looking forward to hunting Alberta
Old 08-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Hey everyone

I currently live in Kitscoty (close to Lloydminster) and am looking for a partner in the area. I'm a mature 25, married with a daughter and a house. I don't drink while hunting or do drugs and would not consider hunting with someone who does. I have plenty of hunting experience in the foothills and down in 152 region, but am new to this area and am looking for someone who could show me around. Not looking for your honey holes and definitely willing to scout and try to secure permission.
I have my own truck, all sorts of firearms, a bow and I reload as well. I have experience calling yotes as well. I love hunting and am a nice guy, I'm not the type to steal a shot at a big buck that you found or anything of that sort. Would like to go for general WT or coyotes. Give me a PM if interested.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Hey everyone

I currently live in Kitscoty (close to Lloydminster) and am looking for a partner in the area. I'm a mature 25, married with a daughter and a house. I don't drink while hunting or do drugs and would not consider hunting with someone who does. I have plenty of hunting experience in the foothills and down in 152 region, but am new to this area and am looking for someone who could show me around. Not looking for your honey holes and definitely willing to scout and try to secure permission.
I have my own truck, all sorts of firearms, a bow and I reload as well. I have experience calling yotes as well. I love hunting and am a nice guy, I'm not the type to steal a shot at a big buck that you found or anything of that sort. Would like to go for general WT or coyotes. Give me a PM if interested.
Forgot to mention. Not interested in road hunting. I like to walk, if you're the type who wants to roll around in the truck all day I don't think we will be a good match.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Just butting this out there ,for those that got drawn for moose and need a partner give me a shout as I did not get drawn this year for moose.
First of all I live in NE Edmonton ,Age 54 ,have an atv ,2 wheel drive truck and camper but no trailer to haul atv ,but do have a game trailer.
Family does have a walk in cooler in Edmonton,and I normally butcher by own game .So If you got a moose tag ,I can get a Elk tag or what ever and we can go for a day or even a week .
bump
Old 08-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Forgot to mention. Not interested in road hunting. I like to walk, if you're the type who wants to roll around in the truck all day I don't think we will be a good match.
Just get transferred back down South here and be done with it.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Just get transferred back down South here and be done with it.
Next year!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Experienced big game hunter looking for Goose hunting mentor

I have been hunting here in Alberta for about 20 years. The whole family gets involved in some way some during archery season only some rifle and bow. I am really hoping to find a mentor to help me get started goose hunting. I have a 3 1/2" pump shotgun and will be picking up a laydown blind at the end of the month. I live in Winfield but am willing to travel. My daughter goes to school in Lethbridge so I could easily make it a long weekend if necessary. Contact me here if interested.
Thanks Rod Heeney
Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 PM

Looking for a sheep hunting partner for the opener. Looks like all my guys may not be able to come. I'm from Edmonton but will be down in Lethbridge and Calgary this weekend. Not looking for anyone with spots, I have my own spots that I'm going into for opener. Any experience level is fine, just make sure you're fit because you're going to need it for this trip.

Jeff
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Default Upcoming goose season

Looking for some new hunting partners mine are starting to retire been hunting geese for 21 years now I'm 34 been hunting since I was a kid. I have 25 dozen decoys or more full body's And shells (Canada's) and around 20 dozen snows. I've taken quite a few new hunters out. Will be. Training new bird dog. I'm not addicted just an enthusiast. All I ask is some help spotting and getting permission I live n e of Edmonton and will travel the flyway p .m. If intersted
Old 08-15-2014, 10:24 AM

Duck & Goose hunter from Nanaimo, BC looking for hunting partner to hunt Alberta in Oct.
Hunting experience 55 years. If interested you can call 204 941-9315 to set up s hunt
Old 08-16-2014, 12:30 AM

Default New bowhunter

I am looking to hunt big game in wmu 312/406. Lots of crown land graze leases out here which i plan to hunt however I am not sure how to procure permission. I am a 44 year old first timer and would like to hook up with an experienced bowhunter to show me the ropes. I shoot a recurve in the instinctive style and practice short range snap shooting as I am not above taking opportunities and maybe eating a little pheasant or rabbit. I am respectful; and quiet when I need to be. I am really looking forward to finding a mentor and filing our freezers this year.