Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2015, 09:51 PM

Default Medicine hat fishing guides needed.

Will go and stay in Medicine hat for a couple of weeks. Any fishing suggestion?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 AM

You'll need to narrow down your preferences: trout, sturgeon, pike, walleye, lakes, river, shoreline, boat, fly, bait, gear.......
Old 05-17-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
You'll need to narrow down your preferences: trout, sturgeon, pike, walleye, lakes, river, shoreline, boat, fly, bait, gear.......
trout, sturgeon, pike, walleye, lakes, river, shoreline, no boat, no fly. not far out of Medicine hat. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 PM

The South Sask in town has a variety of species. There are also a handful of trout lakes 20-45 minutes away, and pike/walleye lakes closer and farther.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 PM

Default Med hat

Buddy go down to police point park or under the bridges or even head into Redcliff and get down to the river for sturgeon, walleye, minnow works best salties that you can get from med hat news , the outdoorsman ,or the tire, if you want trout bulls head is a trophy lake no bait but a jig and bobber does the trick,r if you want a dead cert head out to elkwater to Reesor for rainbows single hook and bobber drop it in 4 ft from the obvious boat dock and bobs your uncle ,, a bit more of a challenge I hear you say !!! Try spruce coulee for some Brookies bait allowed, or if you can't be arsed to leave town college pond by mand m meats spin for pike no monsters but really fun.

Good luck and I'm sorry for so many people being mysterious on here sheesh !!!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 PM

thanks Pudelpointer and dannypee. Much appriciated!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:17 PM

For pike and walleye head out to rattlesnake reservoir. It is a large lake easier fished with boat but still not bad from shore.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypee View Post
Buddy go down to police point park or under the bridges or even head into Redcliff and get down to the river for sturgeon, walleye, minnow works best salties that you can get from med hat news , the outdoorsman ,or the tire, if you want trout bulls head is a trophy lake no bait but a jig and bobber does the trick,r if you want a dead cert head out to elkwater to Reesor for rainbows single hook and bobber drop it in 4 ft from the obvious boat dock and bobs your uncle ,, a bit more of a challenge I hear you say !!! Try spruce coulee for some Brookies bait allowed, or if you can't be arsed to leave town college pond by mand m meats spin for pike no monsters but really fun.

Good luck and I'm sorry for so many people being mysterious on here sheesh !!!
Punctuation is your friend.

Anywhere in/around the Hat, in the SSR, sturg can be caught. "Police Point, Redcliff, Under the bridge" are more of easily accessible spots. Not necessarily the greatest. Lots of litter and disrespect in those areas.

Sturgeon: worms are waaaaaaay more of a natural food source, but yes, minnows work too. I only use minnows these days. Suckers need not apply. And I love catching walleye or anything else I can tempt, while I wait for the Dino's.

Bullshead, I completely disagree. Pull out the fly rod. U will never use a jig on this lake ever again....cept maybe winter.

Not sure what "cert" is but again you are wrong. Lots of hammerhandles to be found in Elkwater.
Reesor....a clown's shoe could catch a fish there. Pull out the fly rod. Make it a challenge.

Spruce Coulée. The only part of your post that is accurate. Extremely difficult to fish. Keeps me coming back. More often then not, I reek of skunk when I go home, questioning the universe.

As far as the pond in town goes, yep, there are some tiny fish in there. Let's not mislead the peeps from afar though. Tis not the pond that which surrounds our wonderful college, but alas, it's the pond across the road....surrounded by a golf course and housing. Funner in winter.

Conclusion: DannyPee- get your facts straight #1. #2, Nobody is being sheesh and maybe if u think so, perhaps there is a reason. This thread is only a few days old. And #3, u omitted the ultimate spots!!!

Who is buddy? Or is everyone yer "buddy"

I kid.

OP.. I know of a couple guides here in the Hat. Have never used them, just know of them. PM me if interested.

Cheers n GL

Last edited by Fishfinder; 05-20-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:04 AM

Default Whatever

Whatever,
I'm at work up north and I typed a quick message to help a guy out.
A " dead cert"is British slang for a easy catch which the trout at Reesor are, if however you would like to give me a one on one lesson in English grammar then no doubt we can meet , wet a line and practice perhaps less time being pompus ? Just a thought.
I'm pretty sure my 23 year career in Signals intelligence qualifies me to read and write.

Yours Aye
Daniel

P.s
The best spot for sturgeon I have found unfortunately has had the gate locked by a large company that is based In Redcliff I'm a little confused as it's crown land and I am looking into it.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:33 AM

Well FishFinder I can personally attest for everything DannyPee has mentioned as we fish together quite often. Not sure why you would slag him off when he is trying to give someone advice on fishing opportunities. I for one have never used a fly rod at bullshead and have come out with numerous 10 fish days. Also IamI if you just want to his a quick bite and aren't worried about size Echodale pond is pretty active right now. No monsters but a few I've caught would fit the frying pan nicely. A decent spot in town is adjacent from the library on the river. Pickeral rig an some worms with a weight are a sure bet for Walley, Sturgeon, Gold eye etc.
Cheers and good luck.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:16 PM

Default Hey Rob

I'm home a week next Thursday buddy if you want to pop some gopher or wet a line mate
Old 05-30-2015, 11:21 PM

thanks all guys for your kind help.

went to Rattlesnake for a few hrs today, no bite.

was told, 7 person, murray lake have whitey. may try murray lake tomorrow for white fish.