Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2015, 10:26 PM

Default Going Down To Montana

Towards the end of the month me and a friend are driving down to Montana for a road trip. We are looking to see some sights, try some new things and hopefully get the line wet. I've seen a few stories on the forum of some lovely trips other people have had on the AO forum so i figure i would turn to you for some input.

What would be some must have locations to check out? As for the fishing aspect of it, we would be restricted to the shore unless we can rent out a boat at one of the lakes. A co worker recommended Glacier National Park but he doesn't know if the fishing is good there. Thanks in advance
Old 05-23-2015, 07:28 AM

Flathead Lake has guided trips for lakers.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 AM

You need to consider which border crossing you will use and then pick the area to fish. Eureka/Kalispell/ Whitefish south or Coutts/Great falls area.

This may have less traffic.
Great falls area has some prime areas to fish. I would consider where the Sun runs into the Missouri... Great fly shop in the North Forty outfitters that has some really helpful people who would be able to steer you in the right direction.
Speak to the fly shops down there before you leave and then visit and spend a few bucks after you decide which zone you want to try. Lots of options too, maybe rent a real river raft down there and drift a river.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:58 AM

Lannie nailed it will all the right advice. Also that is one spectacular spot of potential he is referring to.

For me, I crossed at Cardston. Some less known and rivers. The Big Hole would be good right now. Local fly shops are everywhere and can help. The Beaverhead would get a special mention now. The portion south of the dam is open now and is full of bows and browns...nice sizes too. I would recommend that. You can get away with hip waders no problem. You will need them to get into a good casting lane away from the willows.

Best of luck!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 PM

Lots of rivers to choose from down there, depending on how far south you want to go will determine where to fish. We fished the Lower Madison last year and had an absolute blast. However we were in a drift boat. If you can't get a boat to drift the rivers, then definitely get some hip waders, you'll kick yourself if you don't. Whatever river/lake you choose, chances are there will be a fly shop close by that will point you in the right direction. Some of the fly shops in Bozeman have whiteboards setup with loads of info on each river system, flow rates, visibility, and what the fish are biting on. Good luck down there!!!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:04 PM

Maddy!