Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 PM

Default Pigeon Lake

Heading up to Pigeon this weekend. Have not been there since I was a boy (long ago). Can anyone give me any pointers on where to launch my boat. I don't expect anyone to tell me where their walleye hot spot is but can anyone point to which side of the lake or area would be a good starting point. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 PM

Provincial Park or Mulhurst, your 2 best options.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 PM

PS is there any spots on the lake I need to watch out for.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
I have been fishing that lake for years from one end to the other and have never came across anywhere that was really shallow on the main lake. There are many humps and a few reefs on the lake but I have not found any that come right to the surface or just below it, they all top out at least 9' below the surface, with the exception of one off the NW side of the Rock Island that is about 3. Because water levels change year to year I cant 100% guarantee it, but after fishing it for about 15 years I haven't found any.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Pigeon Lake & tributaries (excluding Tide Creek) & outlet – Walleye limit 0 – except the holder of a Special Fish Harvest Licence and tags may retain walleye of a size, number and at the times specified on the licence; Pike limit 1 over 100 cm; Perch limit 5 over 25 cm; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 1 (Burbot limit 0 Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
the portion of lake west of a line drawn from the northwesternmost tip of the point in 13-12-47-2-W5 due north to the point where the line intersects the shoreline of the lake in 13-47-2-W5, locally known as Zeiner Park and including Tide Creek.
CLOSED all year.

the outlet, the portion located in 1,2,11-46-28-W4
CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 14 and Open – May 15 to Mar. 31.
the remainder of the lake
Open Apr. 1 to Apr. 16; May 15 to Mar. 31.
Apr. 17 to May 14 – CLOSED
The only area you need to watch for is Zeiner Park

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 PM

Launched at the provincial park yesterday, easy access but no dock as of yet. Talked to a worker and he said it's been to windy to get it in. Caught a few walleye at 10', not a whole lot but we filled a couple tags and had a good fed
Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the help. Is the closed area the bay just off of the zeiner boat launch up to the point where Tide creek enters. Could not find any map showing this area
Old 05-21-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Is the closed area the bay just off of the zeiner boat launch up to the point where Tide creek enters. Could not find any map showing this area
I'm havin trouble determining the exact closed area as well. LSD locations are absolutely useless without a map that has LSD on it. Would it not be reasonable to include a diagram in the regs to help people follow the rules?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:19 PM

Default What a concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moults View Post
I'm havin trouble determining the exact closed area as well. LSD locations are absolutely useless without a map that has LSD on it. Would it not be reasonable to include a diagram in the regs to help people follow the rules?
What.....are you kidding, you have to be joking because that would make way too much sence, and cut down on the income made by ticketing people...come on now you know better than that...no?
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 05-22-2015, 11:37 AM

The dock is in as of this morning When i launch.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
the east side of the lake, esp. south of mulhust, is very shallow a long way out. had a friend take the lower leg off his motor even though he said he was a very long way off the shore.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moults View Post
the point from sunset harbor to zeiner park is closed all year.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Banned

We were out at Pigeon yesterday, I have never seen the water so clear. This pic was in about 10-11 feet of water, the water was clear as gin, and there were hundreds of walleye everywhere. Never sight fished for walleye before, it was great fun. Many of the fish like this one never even moved when we went by in the boat. There were millions of (mayflies I think) on the surface, so I believe they may have been eating them when they came off the bottom.

The spot we were at is a very predominate spawning site, so it could have been just a lot males (most were about 2-2.5 lbs) hanging around, as they will do for a couple of weeks after the spawn if there is lots of food available. As the sun got higher, about 11, they were gone, but it was a lot of fun for a few hours.

We moved to the reefs and humps after this and the fishing was pretty consistent, and the fish on average were bigger, but I think a lot of the fish are still in transition, usually a couple more weeks before they start stacking up on these structures.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:24 PM

Lightbulb

Thanks for all of the info. My son and I had a great day there. Cuaght lots